News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !- Page 9

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

vlegra
#200re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:19pm

Susan should have been nominated instead of Heidi. Where is Aaron?? Marc Kudish was not that impressive as Aaron in his performance. Carole Sheely?s performance was nice but not Tony worthy.

I love sutton but I believe that she should not have been nominated at all and especially in Leading Actress. Sutton barley showed up in Shrek till the middle of Act 1. Her performance was amazing but yet there are more deserved roles.

Shrek did not deserve half of those nominations either.

[title of show] was robbed out of nominations BIG TIME compared to what some shows got. The Billy's should not have been nominated because Trent was the only good one. Elton John and Dolly Parton only got nominated because they are Elton John and Dolly Parton. I would much rather listen to [title of show] then Billy Elliot anyday.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#201re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:24pm

God, you are an idiot. What exactly is so great about [tos]'s score? It is really not that astounding to kick Dolly out the race. Dolly wasn't nominated because she's Dolly.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#202re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:32pm

Take a chill pill derfyingravity, having an opinion doesn't make someone an idiot. Many people, including myself, greatly enjoy [title of show]'s score.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#203re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:39pm

I thought Sutton was great in Shrek and deserved that nomination. I mean other than the ladies from 9 to 5, who else should have gotten that nomination? I know that I enjoyed Sutton more than Stephanie. Haven't seen Josefina or Stockard so I can't really judge.

Dolly should have been nominated. It's not the greatest score, but again, not too many options to choose from. I would have loved [title of show] to be nominated, but the book outshone the score, and that's what the Tony committee thought too.

~Steven

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#204re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:44pm

I don't understand all the fuss about him or the show he's appearing in AT ALL!

Yet you feel free to insult the show and the performer you haven't seen. That's my point. You judge something you haven't seen because you think it's not your "cup of tea"? I've seen many a show I thought I would not enjoy and fallen in love. Sounds like you're more interested in jumping on the bashwagon than being objective. If you want to find out what you're missing, go see it. At least then you can form a fair opinion.

Sutton barley showed up in Shrek till the middle of Act 1.

Talk to Ebersole. She won for Leading Actress for 42nd Street (not my choice). It's not about the role, it's about the billing.

Dolly wasn't nominated because she's Dolly.

That doesn't even make sense. Why would they have anything against Dolly? She's one of America's darlings and the buzz about her score was HUGE before the show opened. Even the critics were kind in their disappointment. And she WAS nominated for her score.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/6/09 at 10:44 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#205re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:56pm

I think he/she meant to say that Dolly wasn't necessarily nominated for the sole fact that she's Dolly Parton, not that she wasn't nominated at all.

~Steven

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#206re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:04am

Mister Matt: this is a 'bitch' thread, so I'm bitching in it (something I don't usually do). Sorry if my dislike of ROA and Constantine Maroulis offends you in any way, but I'm not a big fan of rock music, I have read some pretty negative things about CM and I wouldn't waste my limited time or money in NY seeing a show which doesn't appeal to me. I honestly don't begrudge it doing well and finding an audience - all power to it if it brings 'non-theatre' people to Broadway.

But this thread is about the Tonys and I would much rather have seen other shows nominated than ROA. Same as I am disappointed at some of the other decisions made by the Tony committee...

Seen some shows in my time....

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#207re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/7/09 at 7:30am

I think he/she meant to say that Dolly wasn't necessarily nominated for the sole fact that she's Dolly Parton, not that she wasn't nominated at all.

Ahhh...I misread the post. My bad. Sorry defyingravity07!

this is a 'bitch' thread, so I'm bitching in it

I know. I was responding to your bitching about that which you ridicule and haven't seen. Your dislike of anything does not offend me. It's your insults over something you've never witnessed that is ridiculous. I can bitch about that, too.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ashley4Tale
#208re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/7/09 at 7:45pm

The Tonys lost all credibility for me when they took James Barbour's well deserved nomination for his brilliant performance in Tale.
Bellow is a link to a very nice article about this atrocity.
http://www.theatermania.com/peterfilichia/permalinks/2009/05/05/the-usual-tony-stuff/

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#209re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/7/09 at 8:20pm

When you say "atrocity" you're referring to "A Tale of Two Cities," right?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#210re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/7/09 at 8:26pm

That Peter Filichia article is sad - he didn't even know that American Buffalo was not eligible for the nominations?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwaybabe2
#211re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/8/09 at 12:04am

Ummm...perhaps he knows something we don't...? re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Anyways, why I started to post...there must be a lot of people from a parallel universe on this board (including me!), because, look at the way the popular vote is going re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Does that link with the idea some have that Tale was an atrocity...?! I don't think so!

And...that was a nice article re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Rags
#212re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/9/09 at 2:00am

***I have read some pretty negative things about CM ***
And you believe everything you read?

***But I would be interested to hear if anyone else sees any parallels between Constantine Maroulis and other American Idol contestants who have appeared on Broadway (apart from the fact that there are probably far more deserving auditionees for their particular roles)? I don't understand all the fuss about him or the show he's appearing in AT ALL!

What am I 'missing'? ***

Mr Maroulis was doing theater long before he was on American Idol. He has a degree from Boston Conservatory in musical theater.He was Roger in the national tour of Rent.
Just a couple of things you seem to be missing.
Hope this helped to answer your question.

Videos