News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !- Page 6

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#125re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:58pm

I could understand how one would have problems with the BILLY score but I, for one, love it. It's anything but terrible.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#126re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:59pm

F*ck Rock of Ages. Musical, Direction, AND Leading Actor!? 9to5 got the shaft for this piece of sh*t!?

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#127re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:06pm

Billy Elliot actually has a decent score. I think most of the songs are more powerful than catchy. They have a lot more meaning in context with the show.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

JazzSquare55
#128re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:15pm

Updated On: 5/5/09 at 03:15 PM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#129re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:15pm

I can't believe they nominated David Bolgana and not Frank Dolce, I feel horrible.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 03:15 PM

JazzSquare55
#130re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:17pm

Bundy - while that may be true, the music itself (are you a musician) is slipshod and messy. Extremely bland and lacking any real substance, with only three or four songs being an exception.

PG2 is right. It really is a bad score. Not sure I'd use the word "terrible" but it is very very bad. WickedRocks ~ if you can't see that, you must have drank Billy's kool aid. And we all know what that is. Mmmm...

MisterMatt - BE takes home 6 to 8 awards. No more than that. There's no way.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#131re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:33pm

I'm a little upset that [title of show] was recognized more. I am quite happy they were recognized at all, but some aprreciation of the score and Susan's performance would have been nice.

Very surprised at all the love Billy Elliot got. I mean, I expected it to get nominated for a good deal, but not this much!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#132re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:42pm

And Jbara, God love him, cannot do the accent. It's just awful.

He also can't do the role. He was a dumb oaf on stage with nothing underneath. I loved him in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but he just didn't seem to dig at ALL for this role. It was especially disappointing after seeing Joe Caffrey do such an amazing job with the role in London.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#133re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:46pm

wow. really? i think Greg should win. LOVED his take on the father in BILLY ELLIOT.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#134re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:48pm

Constantine for Leading Actor? WTF? NO NO AND NO. Go Gavin!

Rock of Ages for Best Musical? Um, NO.

Can Billy Elliot be the new Producers? Hope NOT!

And it's a shame Stephanie was overlooked. Go Alice Ripley!

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

dg22894
#135re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:52pm

Stockard Channing REALLY? I wanted another one of the 9 to 5 women.

David Bologa REALLY? I wanted Aaron Tviet

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#136re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 3:58pm

I actually like Billy Elliot's score a lot (not as much as I like Next to Normal) but it's better than Shrek and 9 to 5, imo.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#137re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:22pm

The biggest snub was for RUINED.

How do you win the Pulitzer and are not given even a NOMINATION???

Completely absurd- but then, why should we expect suburban American to care about anything related to the Congo? Let's just sit around and talk about our messed up relationships instead...

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

WiCkEDrOcKS
#138re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:23pm

...RUINED is Off-Broadway.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#139re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:26pm

I was just going to say that Ruined is off-Broadway.

srg129
#140re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:33pm

Taryn, I couldn't agree with you more. I've loved Gregory Jbara in other roles, however, all he did during Billy Elliot was bellow, shout, and sing in a very affected manner. You hit the nail on the head with not digging deep. It's not difficult for any actor to play a gruff blue collar father in the one-dimensional fashion he chose. I could see any number of actors able to do the exact carbon copy one-dimensional peformance.

And the stereotypical reactions he chose in the scene when he takes Billy to the National Ballet School were uninspired and sophmoric to say the least. Maybe the production team knew they would be playing this show for every Tom, Dick, and Jane tourist that comes to NYC so they had no choice but to "dumb down" the performances to appeal to the audience.

I felt the exact same about Carole Shelley's performance. How many times have we seen the fiesty sharp tounged grandma routine? It gets old if you don't bring something fresh and new to it and she certainly did neither of those in the show. But to recognize her flat stereotypical cardboard cut out of a performance really is a shame. Especially when either of the ladies from [title of show] (not to mention other candidates in the supporting category) brought more dimension to their performances in the nail of their little pinky than Shelley did with her entire being.

While I'm still bitching (as this thread is so aptly called!) WTF were they thinking nominating the self-absorbed Jane Fonda for Best Actresss in a Leading Role? Talk about an uninspired and completely limp performance.

I'm wondering who she either paid off or threatened to get this nomination. She really needs to take a walk a couple of blocks down to 44th Street to see Desire Under the Elms and take a couple of notes from Carla Gugino on bringing passion, desperation, and inspiration to a role or she could have learned something from paying attention to Zach Grenier in her own production. Because in 33 Variations she showed up to walk on the stage, but that was about as far as it went.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#141re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Ruined won the Lucille Lortel Award for "Outstanding Play"

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#142re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Me too!

Just give the world Love.

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#143re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:35pm

Sorry I should have been more specific... it's an embarressment the show is ineligible for awards b/c of the theatre location. The awards need to be opened up to off-Broadway. Clearly.

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#144re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:36pm

But to recognize her flat stereotypical cardboard cut out of a performance really is a shame. Especially when either of the ladies from [title of show] (not to mention other candidates in the supporting category)

Kathy Fitzgerald....

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#145re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:38pm

Word srg129, word.

Having seen Billy Elliot in both London and NY, it's appalling how dumbed down the entire show is from content to performances. I think Jbara is one of the nicest guys on Broadway, and was a pisser in DRS, but I could not connect to his interpretation in the least.

And the [tos] girls deserved to be nominated, either one or both of them. The Tony committee was full of suck this round.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 04:38 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#146re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:38pm

Umm...

The term "Off-Broadway" has nothing to do with "theatre location" but rather the size of the theatre. It has to have a certain number of seats to constitute as a "Broadway theatre" and if it doesn't then it's an "Off-Broadway Theatre" or an "Off-Off Broadway-Theatre"

Off-Broadway has their own award called the Lucille Lortel which is, effectively, their version of the Tony. "Ruined" won the Lortel for best play and it won a Pulitzer.

What more do you want?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 04:38 PM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#147re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:39pm

After reading through the thread I find it intresting that those who like me are upset about the lack of TOS love, though Susan was more deserving of the nomination than Heidi. While either would have been amazing im just curious why? And now with no nomination do you think Aaron Tveit will even come back to the show once he leaves?

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#148re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:42pm

Isn't he doing Catch Me if You Can? Doubt he'd ever go back.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WiCkEDrOcKS
#149re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 4:47pm

Oh, and Carla Gugino for DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS. Totally deserved a nomination.

Videos