News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !- Page 5

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#100re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:09pm

I can't believe that the over-the-top performance by Allison Case in Hair wasn't nominated.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#101re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:19pm

Haha, sorry Mr. Music. The angry theatre geek in me took over. Thankfully I didnt say it out loud while typing or the whole library would probably give me really weird, dirty looks. Looking back on it wow that was really intense. I know every year there are some huge WTF nominations (Cry Baby? Featured actress for Passing Strange - love the show but was shocked) But The biggest dissapointments are lack of love for my beloved [TOS] and Tveit. He is a brilliant up and coming performer and I feel like Billy Elliot didnt need every nomination it got. Maybe because the show just doesn't do it for me. It's a beautiful show just not my style. I prefer a [TOS] or a N2N any day.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#102re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:23pm

I understand theatreboy... But the return key, at least between topic changes, can be your best friend! :)

I'm really only sad about Aaron not getting a nod for featured actor in a musical. Especially over the other performances I've seen.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#103re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:23pm

Haha, no worries, Theatreboy. :)

I guess I have less to be upset about because I thought Billy Elliot was brilliant. But your concerns were loud and clear! I love me some [tos] and have yet to see N2N (next on my list!).

~Steven

Theatreboy49
#104re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:30pm

I havent seen N2N either considering I dont live in the NYC area so those other means are by far my best friend. But its bias cuz I love that little musical that could. I feel like Aaron is here to stay for a good long while though and he will have many more nominations come his way. Now im conflicted though. I know the Billy boys are going to win but I don't want them to but I don't want Brain's very deserving Tony to go to him for Shrek.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#105re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:32pm

I love a little musical that could. I was a huge supporter of Avenue Q, liked Spring Awakening when it was still a small show, and wanted Xanadu to win last year.

~Steven

Theatreboy49
#106re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:34pm

Loved Xanadu! Saw it in NYC and here in chicago. Spring Awakening is one of my favorite shows. I remember it starting out and i told all my friends that it was gonna be the next big thing and they called me crazy. It won all the awards and of course I was the last person in my group of friends to see it. Here hoping a miracle occurs and N2N wins Best Musical.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#107re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:37pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm surprised I haven't seen more uproar over the shutout of Desire Under the elms.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#108re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:38pm

Well, then we have similar tastes... except that I'm rooting for Billy Elliot in a big way. (Again, I will go and see next to normal and then judge it, but knowing me, I'll probably really enjoy it.) I am biased though, I'm a big fan of Stephen Daldry and a huge fan of the movie. But I think the musical is its own entity. It takes the story to a whole new level and it's a beautiful creation. I like that it's not literally scene-by-scene like the movie, as the other movie adaptations this year are.

~Steven

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#109re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:47pm

where the hell is THE SEAGULL!?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

srg129
#110re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:52pm

Unfortunately it seems like we're going to get a Best Musical winner with the worst musical score of this decade (or maybe even as far back as The Will Rogers Follies nearly 20 years ago). Based off of this morning's nominations, apparently the producers will be out in full force voting for the sure fire tourist trap that masquerades as an "artistic" musical. I guess that's to be expected in this current economic climate. One can always hope that reason will prevail though.

PiraguaGuy2
#111re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:53pm

Billy Elliot really DOES have a terrible score. "He Could Go and He Could Shine" has no business being sung on a Broadway stage.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#112re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:54pm

I mean, didn't they do the same last year? Or any other year? Vote for the most commercial? In the Heights was not a deserving winner in my opinion.

~Steven

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#113re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:57pm

Add me to the list of those outraged by the snubs of The Seagull. How does one of the best reviewed pieces of the season get pushed aside? And Carey Mulligan not getting a nod? Crazy.

In fact, ignoring all the fall plays (aside from Raul's deserving nomination) just boggles my mind. That's not to say they got it completely wrong, but still.

The number of noms for Shrek also surprised me. While I didn't love [tos], it was leagues better than Shrek (haven't seen RoA, so can't comment on that one).

Quite the odd batch of nominations this year.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#114re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:13pm

This is the 1st season since 2003-2004 that I haven't been to NYC to see shows so I really can't say one show or the other should or should not have been nominated. In looking at the nominations and based on everything I have read here, I am quite surprised the [tos] was snubbed for best musical. Maybe I should look at the nominations again but it looks like all of the major nominations are for shows that are still open. I just thought that they wanted to drum up business. The Equus snub really surprised me. Just my thoughts.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 01:13 PM

minicko88
#115re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:17pm

No Nominations for A Tale of Two Cities? Really? Not even James Barbour? RIDICULOUS!

Rock of Ages??? Need I say more?

NO Stephanie J. Block or Daniel Radcliffe???? Seriously??? What are these people thinking...

Positives... I did think Billy Elliot and Shrek did deserve the noms... Shrek is really good, but people on here refuse to enjoy it... I'm rooting for you Brian D'arcy James (Even though James Barbour deserved it!)

ZONEACE
#116re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:31pm

Yeah, June 7th is going to be a completely boring night. The most commerciallly viable production is gonna run away with everything. LAME. 5 acting nominations for Billy Elliot?

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

madlibrarian
#117re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:32pm

NOTHING for The Seagull?!!!!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#118re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:34pm

Yup, 5 acting noms and 7 actors

David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish, Trent Kowalik
Hadyn Gwyne
Carole Shelley
Greg Jbara
David Bolonga

Unforutnately, only 6 were truly deserving (i'm still kind of shocked about Bolonga's nomination)

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#119re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:35pm

And Jbara, God love him, cannot do the accent. It's just awful.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#120re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 1:49pm

I really thought James Barbour deserved a nomination, especially over Constantine. I'm not saying JB deserved to win but he certainly gave a great performance.

Overall, I'm just as surprised as everyone else (re: Tveit, Radcliff, etc.)

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

NovaNurse7
#121re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:16pm

So... no Aaron Tveit? How is that even possible? As a previous poster mentioned, he really is the glue that holds Next to Normal together. His performance was simply stunning, and I cannot believe he did not receive what would have been a well-deserved nomination. David Bologna wasn't even on the Jeffigibility chart!

Speaking of Billy Elliot, 15 nominations is a bit much. I haven't seen the show so I don't want to pass judgment, but still: getting two noms each for best featured actress and featured actor is crazy, especially when you consider the people who got overlooked.

[title of show] deserved to be nominated for more than best book (which is awesome, but not the enough recognition). Susan or Heidi should have been nominated for featured actress.

I just hope the Tony Awards isn't Billy Elliot winning award after award. I will be pulling hard for Next to Normal to be the underdog upset this year.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#122re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:37pm

I'm afraid that with all those acting nods, the Tonys is going to be a Billy Elliot love fest.

I do hope that they perform 9 to 5 during the telecast, it would help their box office, and Pal Joey won't perform.

Actually, I rather see a number from 9 to 5 performed than Guys and Dolls, but, such is life.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#123re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:38pm

I only have one big complain: How the hell is it possible that Aaron Tveit isn't nominated for featured actor?!
I mean, I didn't expect him to win or anything. But a nomination would have been, well-deserved.

Also, Allison Janney over Megan Hilty or Stephanie J. block? Come on people....
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 02:38 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#124re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 2:50pm

Rock of Ages??? Need I say more?

Yes.

I haven't seen the show so I don't want to pass judgment, but still: getting two noms each for best featured actress and featured actor is crazy, especially when you consider the people who got overlooked.

It's "crazy", but you "don't want to pass judgment"? How is it crazy if you haven't seen the show and all the performers?

Though it's almost impossible, I'd love to see Billy Elliot break the Tony-winning record of The Producers. It means it would have to win in every single category. I do think it could take home 8 awards.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos