News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!- Page 6

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!

Pootie2
#125BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 7:55pm

LizzieCurry said: "Much of the crowd felt like out-of-towners, and I mean that in neither a good nor bad way -- or maybe it's more good, unless you're a curmudgeon. Because there were a ton of kids there who this weekend who have no one to talk to about musical theatre at home. And they just had their love legitimized and validated. And that's a great thing, even if I wasn't one of them."

It seems the statistics given in the New York Times article were verified by the experiences shared in this thread: mostly tourists (5 percentage points more than average Broadway attendance demographics) and younger (though by exactly how much, who knows). That's actually something to keep in mind concerning the feedback in this thread--the majority of users on this board, I expect, are older than the convention average and also local; thus, a minority. In terms of accessibility, I'll bet quite a few of the tourists went to BroadwayCon thinking of it as a representative "general Broadway experience" instead of seeing many, many shows they couldn't otherwise afford.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

binau Profile Photo
binau
#126BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:01pm

So which sessions were Stephen Sondheim, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Hal Prince, Jonathan Tunick, Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Donna Murphy, Julie Andrews, Jerry Herman, John Cullum et al. in? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#127BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:01pm

So which sessions were Stephen Sondheim, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Hal Prince, Jonathan Tunick, Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Donna Murphy, Julie Andrews, Jerry Herman, John Cullum et al. in? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#128BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:03pm

Ah yes -- thanks for the reminder. I saw that but totally forgot to read it all the way through.

I feel like I did see several more attendees 30 and over than I'd expected, but maybe my expectations were skewed. But of those, it looked like many were not necessarily huge musical theatre fans but parents treating their kids to a (hopefully) fun weekend.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#129BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:18pm

I am in the 30 and over crowd and probably got mistaken for younger because I can still pass for 18-25. I saw a few younger kids, which I thought was so weird. Like I couldn't see most children under 10 being very interested in most of the programming. Some was also not appropriate. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

NY15272 Profile Photo
NY15272
#130BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:25pm

Hello all .... long time Broadway world reader! I wanted to post my own thoughts for all who were frustrated with the con. I attended Leaky Con for four consecutive years, which was run by the same management as broadway con. They were four of the best years of my life and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything but you're totally right about their management. When I first went in 2011, I was 20 and so excited, I had never been to anything so amazing before. But that year there were lots of management issues due to lack of communication between volunteers and staff, and although they have improved in many ways over the years, the communication is still really off. I think people have a right to be frustrated because even the last time I went, 2014 in Orlando, there were lots of just gaps of questioning what is next, where are we supposed to be, why are we still in line an hour and a half after the event was supposed to begin?

I am a super patient person so I never let these things get to me too much, I still loved being at the cons with my friends. But many of you are right, they should be polishing this up by now, they have been doing cons for years. There needs to be a better system in place for managing this many people and keeping everyone on the same page.

I've been following this thread over the weekend...I am not even at Broadway con, not even in New York but I was still very nervous to read people's feedback? Mostly because I know Leaky Con and its history very well and I wanted to see how they would pull this off with a largely new group of attendees. I am kind of disappointed that things had not changed. You're right, VIP should have included more than they were given, considering the price. Also they need to get all volunteers and staff on the same page with the same information because that is their biggest area of growth. Please though do not take anger out on the volunteers, I volunteered at Leaky once and it is very stressful to have people angry at you when you don't even know what is going on yourself.

I hope most people did enjoy the event and I genuinely hope to see it continue in the future. But Mischief Management, from an old Leakygoer who values and cherishes her times at Leaky dearly, please used the months after Broadway con to fix these issues. In lots of ways you really need to pull your socks up. This con has the potential to continue a grand tradition in New York and I hope to see it do just that. But you really need to fix some things.

Pootie2
#131BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:34pm

Thanks for the insight. If anyone gets a survey from Mischief Management, assuming via email, please post about it, in case someone didn't get it (since the raffle wasn't 100% on point). At least they really should, because there are lots of easily tabulated survey services out there. It will be telling if VIP passes don't sell out anywhere near as quickly once the next BroadwayCon is announced.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#132BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:35pm

Based on these comments, it would seem that these New York Times' profiles linked below are pretty accurate representations of those in attendance. One thing I absolutely can't stand is this "misunderstood, outcast musical theatre nerd" archetype to which so many of them subscribe.

"My friends never know what I'm talking about; I'm always singing showtunes from Grease and Wicked and Mamma Mia and like I'm the ONLY one who knows them." 

If your friends can't relate to you, why are they your friends?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/21/theater/20160122-broadwayfan.html

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 08:35 PM

LizzieCurry
#133BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:43pm

It's not too far off, but remember that stories from those of us who aren't in that boat aren't as interesting.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#134BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:04pm

I didn't attend but my friend did so I've been following this thread. What's interesting is that LeakyCon's regular weekend pass is the same as BC $250. But BC's VIP pass is $600 vs LC $450. What's this $150 difference? Don't say bc it's in NYC. If VIP pass holders paid $350 more than the regular pass holders, they SHOULD be treated like V.I.P. 

Pootie2
#135BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:18pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "Based on these comments, it would seem that these New York Times' profiles linked below are pretty accurate representations of those in attendance. One thing I absolutely can't stand is this "misunderstood, outcast musical theatre nerd" archetype to which so many of them subscribe.

"My friends never know what I'm talking about; I'm always singing showtunes from Grease and Wicked and Mamma Mia and like I'm the ONLY one who knows them." 

If your friends can't relate to you, why are they your friends?"

Well, are you actually living on the East Coast near Broadway? Physical accessibility is absolutely paramount to being an "insider" in this case. This isn't like seeing the latest Star Wars films and being a Star Wars nerd where even a town in Iowa has equal access and more people with the same interest. Especially at that tween-through-college age where finding social circles is so important for self image, it's not a leap of logic that such people will bond with others over other, more accessible things, but still harbor this weird fandom about Broadway. That's not merely "subscribing" to a concept, but I don't doubt many younger fans these days experience some bias firsthand. Art programs are being constantly cut from schools; we get mainstream advertisement from major companies like AT&T completely insulting theater.

The fandom "safety" that conventions like this offer isn't unique to BroadwayCon, of course. The big anime conventions are a good example. That's the nature of a fan convention. I'm not the least bit surprised that these people are a large portion of whom BroadwayCon has attracted.

lite2shine, there was an explanation about the prices linked on the first post of the other thread. Basically, if BroadwayCon can get more sponsors, the prices will (should) fall. Because this was the first one, they didn't exactly have a lot of sponsors and large exhibitors or vendors to chip in.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 09:18 PM

LizzieCurry
#136BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:26pm

Yeah. Both another 30something-year-old friend and I agreed that the 16-year-old us would've loved this. (I grew up in California, but I suppose, in a good way, didn't have regular internet access until I was about 18, so in a way I didn't know what I was missing.)

ETA: What I hope also happens with BroadwayCon is that, like other cons, it's used by more theatre people as a place for breaking news. Or performing a new song from a new show for the first time, stuff like that. Then maybe it'll be taken a little more seriously.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 09:26 PM

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#137BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:36pm

Pootie2 said:

lite2shine, there was an explanation about the prices linked on the first post of the other thread. Basically, if BroadwayCon can get more sponsors, the prices will (should) fall. Because this was the first one, they didn't exactly have a lot of sponsors and large exhibitors or vendors to chip in.

"

So basically VIP pass holders are chipping in leu of the sponsors? because the general pass price is the same for Leaky Con. In that case, there's more reason that VIP pass holders should be treated like a Royalty!

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 09:36 PM

Pootie2
#138BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:38pm

lite2shine said: "So basically VIP pass holders are chipping in leu of the sponsors? because the general pass price is the same for Leaky Con. In that case, there's more reason that VIP pass holders should be treated like a royalty!"

The other part of pricing has to do with autograph signings and meet-and-greets, where other conventions normally charge at the line. I believe ComicCon recently changed their model to the raffle system as well, though.

LizzieCurry said: "Yeah. Both another 30something-year-old friend and I agreed that the 16-year-old us would've loved this. (I grew up in California, but I suppose, in a good way, didn't have regular internet access until I was about 18, so in a way I didn't know what I was missing.)

ETA: What I hope also happens with BroadwayCon is that, like other cons, it's used by more theatre people as a place for breaking news. Or performing a new song from a new show for the first time, stuff like that. Then maybe it'll be taken a little more seriously."

Information about workshops and try-outs? Also more content about plays and maybe Off-Broadway? There's a lot of potential, that's for sure.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 09:38 PM

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#139BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:48pm

LC doesn't charge for autograph/photo either, so if they are modeling after LC, you cannot use an argument for higher price bc of free autograph session. 

Charging for these sessions for BC wouldn't work bc theatre goers can get autographs/photo at the stagedoor for free. For other Cons, you don't see/meet the TV or movie actors at a certain location outside of the Con, so it's the only opportunity to get their autographs/photo and the fans are willing to pay. (Personally, I don't see any point for getting an autograph from someone I've never seen on the stage in person)

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#140BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:50pm

The point you make about accessibility is a valid one. I do live on the east coast and get to New York several times a year. With that said, no one in my life shares my fervor for theatre, and it is easily my greatest passion. I have no problem with attending shows alone and have never felt like an outcast for it. I'll add that I'm in the same age bracket as the individuals to whom I was referring as well.

I would love to have people in my life with whom I could discuss theatre, but it doesn't mean I value the friendships that I do have any less. I feel quite content in that regard. That's the point I was trying to make, albeit I could have stated it clearer. In my mind, it isn't healthy for a young person's security with his or her self-image to be so dependent upon just one interest. We meet many different types of people throughout our lives, and if our ability to relate to others and to genuinely enjoy their company is based solely upon their levels of interest in theatre, we would be missing out on a lot of amazing and fulfilling friendships.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 09:50 PM

pickles2
#141BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:08pm

Pootie2 said: "

Information about workshops and try-outs? Also more content about plays and maybe Off-Broadway? There's a lot of potential, that's for sure.

"

I was surprised there was zero programming related to plays. At least I thought there might be something about Arthur Miller, since there is currently a focus on his work on Broadway. I would have worked my entire day's schedule around a panel including the cast of A View From The Bridge.

LizzieCurry
#142BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:08pm

I'm not surprised, but I also wish there had been. Hopefully next year!

LightsOut90
#143BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:28pm

just a note for anyone complaining about the Saturday evening MainStage programming, apparently from 8-10:30pm the Baseball writers conference that was also taking place in the hotel had that ballroom booked for a ceremony, however due to the storm they downsized their event and the hotel management offered the space back to BroadwayCon to use, thus the impromptu phone party and youtube dance party, those weren't there because people cancelled, as it was nothing was scheduled during that time.

As for adult programming um where the heck were you guys because I saw GREAT panels on Producing, Flop Shows, Filming more shows for commercial release, directing, Adapting preexisting material for the stage, the history of the palace theater, a whole panel of previews of upcoming musicals, a panel about criticism with panelist from USA Today and Deadline Hollywood, Diversity on Broadway, Out of Town tryouts all of those featuring folks such as Kathleen Marshall, Lawrence O'Keefe, Lonny Price, Dori Bernstein, David Cote, Michael Riedel as some of the featured panelist.

This was far from a bad con, were the passes too expensive, yes, was there management issues, yes but if you really put in the work there was some GREAT panels with some really good content happening. 

People need to lighten up little, at no point was this advertised as a celebration of broadway past but as a celebration of Broadway now and people shouldn't be shocked it skewed younger or was filled with RENT fans, look at the organization and people running it, Leakycon is attended primary by young kids and anything Anthony does is going to bring out a LARGE legion of Rentheads, if you are surprised by this I don't know what to tell you.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#144BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:35pm

My final day at BroadwayCon today was probably the best one. Managerial/pricing complaints aside, I maintain what I've been saying from my first experience report post that the content of the panels at the Con has been truly fabulous. The weather might've messed with lots of stuff, but really, the celebrity performers, producers, creative teams, marketing teams, the list goes on—they were all awesome. 

I complained, but I will honestly look back on BroadwayCon 2016 in pretty positive retrospect. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for some sort of discount or whatever to be given to this year's VIP members for the 2017 Con (it sure would bump motivation, and it would honestly make sense to me since I do think that I paid exorbitantly more than the difference between VIP and general passes warranted). But all in all, job very, very well done for the first go-round of a massive event.

Pootie2
#145BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:38pm

lite2shine said: "LC doesn't charge for autograph/photo either, so if they are modeling after LC, you cannot use an argument for higher price bc of free autograph session. 

Charging for these sessions for BC wouldn't work bc theatre goers can get autographs/photo at the stagedoor for free. For other Cons, you don't see/meet the TV or movie actors at a certain location outside of the Con, so it's the only opportunity to get their autographs/photo and the fans are willing to pay. (Personally, I don't see any point for getting an autograph from someone I've never seen on the stage in person)"

Stage dooring is never guaranteed and should not always be expected as an obligation, as was discussed in the other thread, not to mention controlled crowds are likely far more attractive for the performers as well. But I don't know how LeakyCon or GeekyCon work, so there's that. I think BroadwayCon's passes could be changed a bit. For example, I have no interest in autographs, so why not remove those as added benefits and charge a separate ticket raffle thing along with the option of just waiting in line.

Cupid Boy2, thanks for the clarification. I suspect those were cherry-picked quotes as well as cherry-given quotes given the context of the topic, however. If they found happiness there, that's great. I know some friends who manage to go "all out" with a precious personal interest only a couple times a year in this type of context.

BroadwayConcierge said: "I complained, but I will honestly look back on BroadwayCon 2016 in pretty positive retrospect. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for some sort of discount or whatever to be given to this year's VIP members for the 2017 Con (it sure would bump motivation, and it would honestly make sense to me since I do think that I paid exorbitantly more than the difference between VIP and general passes warranted). But all in all, job very, very well done for the first go-round of a massive event."

That's a fantastic idea, really.

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 10:38 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#146BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:40pm

Yeah, there was a panel on new musicals today. It was really good.  It actually got me more interested in shows that didn't seem that interesting at first. And Found had the best advertising.  They put some of their notes around the room and you had to find them,  if you were interested.  I did find one and they did advertise their Facebook and Twitter on the back. It also sounds like a cool show.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#147BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:49pm

Thanks for expanding Cupid Boy, I read your previous post completely differently. You have a valid point, and I've grown to be quite contend to go to the theater by myself back home (in Germany), and thanks to the internet I do now know likeminded people whom I can share my excitement with. If it wasn't for that, it would be quite a lonely affair though.

And as someone who was an outcast and bullied in my highschool year (although not for loving theater, but just for being overall "uncool"BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!, I know how wonderful the feeling is to be in a place, perhaps for the first time ever, where you're excepted for who you are, and where you're surrounded by likeminded people. I only experienced that through the internet for my years, and having that happen in "real life" is quite a different experience. Even know that I live in NY and have many friends who love theater, and even though I don't *need* that for any kind of sefl-worth,I loved the feeling of being in a room with thousands of people who feel the same on Saturday. It was special.

Someone complained about the lack of A-listers at the Con... and I just wanted to say Cut them some slack! It was the first ever Broadway Con, and I could see lots of the more famous Broadway people being skeptical and staying away until it's a bit more established. Audra, on the phone, basically said she would come next year, and I expect it to be much "bigger" that way. I would also expect them to expand the number of panels to next year, simply because more people will want to be involved.

I do agree with BettiBoy about the definite lack of musicals from 60s, 70s, 80s, or even older. In terms of panels and stars. While I'm in my 20s, I personally don't care much about the modern "rock" type musicals, my love is the "classic" Broadway show like Anything Goes, On The 20th Century, and other shows in that veine. I would have wished for a greater variety there, and I hope they will branch out there in the future as well.

Nevertheless, I had a really good time. I attended a bunch of the "grown up" panels, and they were all great, and there were more that I would have been interested in today (but I only had a day pass). But I also really enjoyed the the more fun fan panels. After all, I didn't just go to learn about Broadway, I also went to have a good time and be entertained. Like I said before, I thought the Party Line was hilarious, and beyond the entertainment factor, it also showed all those stars that were being called, how many enthusiastic fans were there, and might help to get them on board next year.

As far as VIP tickets go, I do agree that for $600 more should have been offered, but the ticket description never promised anything like green rooms or "special" treatment beyond preferred entrance to MainStage (and MainStage only) panels and the autograph sessions. Why did anyone buy VIP based on that description? (Serious question, because it never seemed even worth it to me, even if I had been willing to spend that kind of money).

Oh, and one other thing, I didn't feel like the con was swamped with teenagers. Sure, there were many, but I was actually surprised how many "older" people were there, and I saw quite a few people around my age (late 20s, early 30s).

delongpre
#148BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:50pm

** Etiquette lessons should be in store for a lot of the younguns who were running around like the Con was the mall. Walking in and out of meeting room doors, jumping up and leaving or chatting loudly during panel discussions, or subjecting the rest of us to listen to their phones endlessly pinging as they conversed with pals while industry celebs were trying to talk. I know some kids came without parents but there needs to be some way to control the wayward kids.

(Read my other post about how wonderful it was to see the young people embracing Broadway, both current and past shows.)

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#149BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:51pm

I don't know if this article (written by Melissa, the organizer) was shared before. She said they didn't want to charge extra after having the attendees buy generally expensive passes. So I don't think they'd like to go for paid raffle tickets route. http://penbitten.com/post/110085671761/on-the-first-few-days-of-broadwaycon-being-public

Re: stagedooring I didn't say it's expected or obligation. I'm grateful and it's so nice for the actors who sign and pose for a photo after a long day and I appreciate it (I don't do stagedoor for all the shows I see either, only the one I was moved and/or have friends in it). Some actors (Nathan Lane) don't do stagedoor. But it's a Broadway tradition and a part of the culture, which you can experience outside of the Con.

Videos