News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!- Page 7

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#150BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:54pm

delongpre said: "** Etiquette lessons should be in store for a lot of the younguns who were running around like the Con was the mall. Walking in and out of meeting room doors, jumping up and leaving or chatting loudly during panel discussions, or subjecting the rest of us to listen to their phones endlessly pinging as they conversed with pals while industry celebs were trying to talk. I know some kids came without parents but there needs to be some way to control the wayward kids.

(Read my other post about how wonderful it was to see the young people embracing Broadway, both current and past shows.)"

Yes to both parts of this. My favorite (?) audience moment in a panel I was at happened when the speaker -- a soft-spoken women -- was talking about something interesting when someone a few rows ahead of me had her phone go off and... it was Guns and Ships. People tittered. At least she ran outside, mortified, to take the call.

Also, if you want to watch videos while you're in a long-ass line, use your damn headphones.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LightsOut90
#151BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:57pm

theres a lot of you kids get off my lawn going on here and its honestly kind of gross, also if the guy who screamed in a volunteers face to have me removed from VIP after i had talked to two supervisors is on the board, dude you made yourself look like a total dick especially when you said "did you pay $650!" i hope you had a TERRIBLE time. 

delongpre
#152BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 11:16pm

LizzieCurry said: " Because there were a ton of kids there who this weekend who have no one to talk to about musical theatre at home. And they just had their love legitimized and validated. And that's a great thing, even if I wasn't one of them."

This was my biggest take-home from the event. I took my daughter for the weekend as her 16th birthday present. I watched my awkward, geeky, hard-to-make-friends girl find people "just like her" and spend hours talking and laughing and bonding, while singing and pretending, and feeling validated!

All you would have had to do to connect to this feeling was to go to one of the sing-alongs and watch the mix of youth (I hate the term "fangirl" because there is so much more to these kids) respond from their souls to the songs they love....and for once they got to do it in the presence of others WHO FELT JUST LIKE THEM.

I'm a parent, a special-ed teacher and a major theater fan, and I felt the Con was amazing. There were frustrations, for sure: at not getting into ANY workshops or autograph lines, at having to sit way in the back because it wasn't clear where lines began or ended for main stage events, at certain main draws cancelling(Kitt/Yorkey), and for other events that were not happening because of the storm(Writers panel).

But there were other things to do at every minute of the day. My daughter got to learn about writing and adapting plays, diversity in theater, mingled with other Rent fans, and enjoyed panel discussions about favorite shows as well as learning about new ones.

Could it be improved? Of course. But the amount of love I felt in the room of the Disney sing-along was worth the price of the weekend.

"

WinstonSalem
#153BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 11:18pm

I didn't go to BroadwayCon because, well, it's a first-year con (yikes), and I know only too well the risks and hazards of producing a major event in winter in a 4-season city. But, I have to say, I was very impressed with the list of people/panels they had lined up; thought it was incredible. As others said, IMO it only makes sense that the con was mostly populated by people and shows currently on b'way. People really expected legends to participate in this con (the very first year)? What's their incentive, other than big money? I was shocked they got some legends, like LuPone, on the phone even! Also, being a current musical theatre fan and not knowing what Smash is? It was a TV show about the making of a broadway musical, for goodness sake (and it ended less than 3 years ago; this comment about Smash being "too old" for the con from someone who also complains about not having older shows represented? Odd.). Smash might not have been the greatest show, but if you enjoy musical theatre and you own a TV, it's a little surprising it wasn't on your radar, even if you chose not to watch it. Honestly, I love the idea of this con and support anything that brings attention to Broadway and the theatre community (including that new summer Broadway music festival).  Good luck next year!

Pootie2
#154BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 11:22pm

lite2shine said: "I don't know if this article (written by Melissa, the organizer) was shared before. She said they didn't want to charge extra after having the attendees buy generally expensive passes. So I don't think they'd like to go for paid raffle tickets route. http://penbitten.com/post/110085671761/on-the-first-few-days-of-broadwaycon-being-public

Re: stagedooring I didn't say it's expected or obligation. I'm grateful and it's so nice for the actors who sign and pose for a photo after a long day and I appreciate it (I don't do stagedoor for all the shows I see either, only the one I was moved and/or have friends in it). Some actors (Nathan Lane) don't do stagedoor. But it's a Broadway tradition and a part of the culture, which you can experience outside of the Con."

Yeah, I don't actually expect them to change to a separate payment system either, but it didn't look like a great system given the comments on their Facebook. I think adding a limited line "at your own risk" option wouldn't be terrible. When the price is rolled in, people should get their top pick. Or something. (Removing the option should lower the pass prices, but anyway.) My comment about stage dooring is more along the lines that it should be treated as a tradition, yes, but something separate from the planned environment of a convention. I would never stage door because I don't like mobs of any kind, but--assuming I did have an interest in obtaining an autograph--the convention environment is far more appealing. And the guests are getting paid for their participation (surely I hope that's the case) as opposed to being tired after a show and wanting to go home.

I still think there should be a general etiquette something, because I worry that with how "connected" BroadwayCon's proceedings were, newcomers would expect they'll be able to live-tweet a show. Some people already do that, sure, but there's no way to stanch it besides strengthening respect with education as well as security.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#155BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 11:54pm

It's the first year. Did anyone care about ComicCon the first year? Prob not.

Lilly7
#156BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 1:47am

I go to a lot of cons so I kinda have a weird fascination with them. For a first year con, BroadwayCon doesn't sound like it did too bad of a job. Lines were a mess but almost all cons have the same problem and the amount of programming sounds pretty good for it's first year.

The main problem seems to be the price point, if you're gonna charge $100-$600, people are gonna have high expectations of what they will get out of the con. Autographs should not be part of the ticket especially if you're gonna do a raffle for them. The only con I have ever been to that does that is Comic Con and they only do raffles for signings that are free. Plus not everyone goes to cons for signings or photo sessions. It's interesting to note that for most celebrities on the con circuit, most of the money they make comes directly from signing and photos. It's a huge part of why they go so it's interesting to wonder how much BroadwayCon paid everyone. (Not that I ever expect to find out) 

Also a lot of first year cons make this mistake but they should have made the con, 1 day, 2 days max. Not only would it be easier to run but the price would be a lot cheaper. Every con wants to be huge like SDCC or NYCC right out the gate but it's better to perfect what you're doing on a smaller level before going big. 

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 01:47 AM

JM226
#157BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 7:49am

it was a complete mess on every level. those trying to put a positive spin on it either have a vested interest or didn't attend the entire weekend. i did and was sorely dissapointed. 

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#158BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:13am

I really want to see it suceed, but the nature of It is aimed twords young people, so some of it may not apeal to all.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

LizzieCurry
#159BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:16am

delongpre, I wish I could hit "like" on your reply!

JM226 said: "it was a complete mess on every level. those trying to put a positive spin on it either have a vested interest or didn't attend the entire weekend. i did and was sorely dissapointed. "

I don't know what's up your butt, but to counter this sweeping generalization: I was there the whole weekend and I have no vested interest in Mischief Management/BroadwayCon/cons in general.

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 08:16 AM

JM226
#160BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:18am

did you pay for a VIP pass because I did. 

LizzieCurry
#161BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:19am

Nope! For me, there were too many inherent risks in paying for a VIP pass at a first-year con.

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 08:19 AM

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#162BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:28am

JM226, I think the main problem is the VIP passes. It sounds like VIP pass holders are the only ones really complaining, while with General or Day passes had a good time!

So please don't generalize and tell me I'm "putting a positive spin on it".

JM226
#163BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:38am

to me, you are. as i said in other places... it's all about perspective. and context. if I am a VIP holder, i will see things differently because i shelled out a ton of money. you didnt. you will have a lower level of expectations. 

LizzieCurry
#164BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:58am

And we know what Fosca said about expectations!

I do want to mention some fun highlights, though, that I don't think were brought up earlier:

• * Rob McClure's one-man Sweeney Todd: hilarious but also terrifying
  • * The Les Miz OBC audition/rehearsal stories
  • * People losing their **** when Ben Cameron recited his one line from the Wicked cast recording
  • * I didn't catch her name, but in the out-of-town tryout panel, discussion of Millie in La Jolla
  • * All the social media horror stories

And I wouldn't say the positive comments are there to put a positive SPIN on the events -- they're just people reciting what they enjoyed which may not match up with what you experienced. There are 40 truths to every story.

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 08:58 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#165BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 9:27am

Yeah, I was not putting positive spins on what I thought was the worst event ever. I really enjoyed everything that I did. I think my only complaints were about the crowd control a couple of times, but they did have that fixed by Saturday. 

Don't recall seeing it mentioned here, but Lesli Margherita sang the Overture from Gypsy in the variety show yesterday morning. That was hysterical. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

neonlightsxo
#166BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 9:35am

" You just need to be prepared to deal with what feels like two floors' worth of the post-show excitable Schmackary's crowd."

This is exactly why I didn't go. My idea of hell.

To those of you who spent $$$ on VIP passes: why didn't you just go see Hamilton?

LaciePi
#167BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:08am

If I am allegedly a shill for enjoying the con for what it is, can you please tell Anthony Rapp where to send my check?

Just for comparison, I researched what other con's VIP packages are like.  I will list only the benefits in their packages that were NOT in BroadwayCon's.

The Walking Dead Con, Philadelphia ($1400 for 2 days)

Early entry; one free meal in Green Room;  guide;  front of autograph line privileges;  4 autographs;  4 photo-ops;  t-shirt; unique badge design

Silicon Valley Comic Con ($890 for 3 days)

special entrance; t-shirt; autograph line hopper pass; Green Room; private signing with 2 guests; cocktail reception; hotel for 3 nights

These benefits look like a real treatment of a VIP, right?  Would you say these benefits are suitable for their price?

neonlightsxo
#168BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:13am

"These benefits look like a real treatment of a VIP, right?  "

The Walking Dead one absolutely does not.

LizzieCurry
#169BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:13am

I still don't think I'd have shelled out for the meals, but that would be great -- especially since food was also a problem this weekend, mostly compounded by the snow. Herb'n Kitchen was NOT prepared for the snowed-in crowds of both BroadwayCon and the BBWAA dinner.

FindingNamo
#170BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:17am

The Big Beautiful Women of AA?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LizzieCurry
#171BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:19am

https://m.mlb.com/news/article/162696462/bbwaa-hands-out-awards-despite-blizzard

There was going to be a dinner for the Baseball Writers' Association of America Awards also at the Hilton, but it was downsized. I'm a little mad at myself that I didn't recognize the players no doubt bewilderingly passing us in the hallways. BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports! (Brandon Belt, where are you?)

JM226
#172BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:19am

i regularly attend conferences and festivals. some people spend their money on seeing hundreds of Broadway shows. i do not. i spend it this way. most VIP experiences include accommodations, like lodgings or drink and food, or at least something exclusive. like line hopper passes, a private lounge, a special meet and greet, a personal guide or concierge. nothing even close to that here. they failed big time with the VIP pass holders. that is why i think they'll lose business for next year INCLUDING MINE.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#173BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:31am

But the thing I don't understand, honestly, is why you bought the VIP pass to begin with. They never promised anything like that in the description of what was included in the VIP pass.

The only thing the promises of entrance to Main Stage events (which apparently they messed up on Friday but was fine on Saturday & I assume Sunday), 3 guaranteed autographs (which seems to have been provided)... and was there even anything else.

Does that seem worth $600? No. But it's not like they failed to deliver what they said VIP included (again with the exception of some events on Friday).

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#174BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:37am

Per BroadwayCon's site, the VIP pass included:

Preferred MainStage seating
Special guest meet-and-greet
3 guaranteed special guest autographs
Exclusive commemorative poster
Expedited on-site check-in
VIP liaison to answer questions
VIP exclusive registration gift bag

Frankly, that doesn't sound like it would be worth $600. But were those "perks" delivered?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos