News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#100HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:10pm

Penny is before Elegance. It was a fairly charming addition. 

I think this will be considered the perfect non Channing revival of Dolly. It's just pure musical comedy joy with a big star performance to top it off. All Bette needs to do is move a finger, bat an eye, etc and the audience goes wild. As I said earlier, she plays the singing very safe, maintaining her stamina throughout the show. I would think the absence of any Merman song is to help preserve her performance throughout the week. She uses a lot of energy, especially in the title song.

I don't have too much to add besides predicting that everyone is going to go gaga over this. I can't think of anything negative, but I'm not a Dolly purist. All of the casting is spot on. Creel and Baldwin are as sensational as well all hoped.

major shoutout to the ushers in the mezz who did a wonderful job combating the cellphones. 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#101HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:13pm

How was Jen Simard?

Did the title number stop the show? How is the choreography? 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#102HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:13pm

divarobbie2 said: "@Robbie2 I don't mind you using my photos, but you could credit them.

no prob... had no idea got from instagram

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:13 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#103HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:15pm

ljay889 said: "Penny is before Elegance. It was a fairly charming addition. 

I think this will be considered the perfect non Channing revival of Dolly. It's just pure musical comedy joy with a big star performance to top it off. All Bette needs to do is move a finger, bat an eye, etc and the audience goes wild. As I said earlier, she plays the singing very safe, maintaining her stamina throughout the show. I would think the absence of any Merman song is to help preserve her performance throughout the week. She uses a lot of energy, especially in the title song.

I don't have too much to add besides predicting that everyone is going to go gaga over this. I can't think of anything negative, but I'm not a Dolly purist. All of the casting is spot on. Creel and Baldwin are as sensational as well all hoped.

major shoutout to the ushers in the mezz who did a wonderful job combating the cellphones. 

how's the mezzanine...where did you sit?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#104HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:16pm

Bette's act one entrance and the title song received standing ovation from most in the mezz.

Simard was f*cking hilarious!

sat Row G mezz and it was a WONDERFUL view. 

Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:16 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#105HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:17pm

How was Jerry Zaks' direction and Warren Carlyle's choreography? Did they change much or very little? 

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#106HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:17pm

ljay, do you foresee this being a Tony for Bette?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#107HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:18pm

Swing list? Understudy list anyone? Very curious who covers what roles.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#108HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:19pm

Ive only seen the odd paper mill production of Dolly, therefore I don't know enough about the original staging and choreography to answer that. Dollypop will be our authority on that. Hopefully he posts tonight. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#109HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:20pm

These are the links to the Shubert Theatre and Hello, Dolly on Broadway Instagram location pages, for anybody curious to see audience photos from the inside (playbills, the stage, etc.).

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/206140/shubert-theatre/

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1092053994180485/hello-dolly-on-broadway/

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#110HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:20pm

I am so dumbfounded with joy that I don't know if I can string the words of the English language into sentences right now. You know when Fraulein Schneider looks at the pineapple and says, "I am...overwhelmed," well Hello, Dolly is the pineapple of this season. 

Everything is sumptuous- the costumes are so beautiful (and there as SO many of them), not to mention the sets, backdrops, etc. You don't see anything come close to approaching the opulence on display at The Shubert Theatre today. Everything is a swirl of pastels and bright colors- I felt like I was living in After Eight's dreamworld. (Maybe I even gained a better of understanding of him tonight too.)

Truthfully I was on the verge of tears several times throughout the night.

Bette is everything I hoped for and more. She was perfection. The title number will probably go down as the top thrill of the season.

David Hyde Pierce was also excellent and Penny in My Pocket was a welcome addition back to the show. He sings it in one and it adds so much to Horace's character.

Gavin Creel will be a frontrunner for the Featured Actor Tony. Kate Baldwin sounds lovely and had a little more spunk to her Irene than you sometimes see.

The ensemble sang and danced in fine fashion.

Look, maybe I'll calm down by morning, but seeing both Rachael Lily Rosenbloom AND Better Midler in this glorious revival of Hello, Dolly in a 72 hour span is too much for my poor little gay heart to handle.

I guess I'll be living the next ten months of my life in the Dolly standing room line. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#111HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:22pm

somethingwicked said: "ljay, do you foresee this being a Tony for Bette?

"

Personally, I am slightly leaning towards Patti who has the more difficult role, but I think Bette's genuine star turn will take it in the end. Bette exudes star quality with every movement and mannerism and she plays to the entire house like a true pro, something Patti is also known for. 

Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:22 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#112HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:30pm

Whizzer, I teared up reading your post  Thank you. This was the first Broadway show I ever saw...with Pearl Bailey. My mother is deep into the long goodbye now, but when I play the Pearl Bailey cast album for her, she smiles. We saw it together; Pearl and Cab Calloway were outstanding. 

Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:30 PM

billyelliotfan123
#113HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:35pm

I guess the rumors of a cast recording being available at the first preview were not true

Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:35 PM

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#114HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:42pm

Does anyone have a picture of the playbill?

daniellesf
#115HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:44pm

Did anyone sit in the extreme side Orchestra seats labeled "partial view"?  Wondering how partial...

Glad everyone loved the show so much!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#116HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:44pm

Check the Instagram #hellodolly and there are a ton. Can't link it through mobile aside from this:

https://instagram.com/p/BRrY85Ajah-/

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#117HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:49pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#118HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

whizzer hello, are they doing rush / SRO for DOLLY?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

dave1606
#119HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

I was there tonight and agree with Whizzer. They don't make em' like this anymore. I have to confess I am fairly new to Dolly. It's not a show I'd seen before, and I'd only seen some of the film. But that didn't stop me from loving every second of tonight. 

Bette is a star for a reason and you really see it onstage. She commands attention in every scene she is in. She seems to be having a great deal of fun, and it is infectious. 

This may not be a spoiler, but I'll put it below. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In act two during the dinner scene while there is a flurry of activity around her, Bette sits and eats a meal. Despite all the things going on, the only thing I wanted to do was watch Bette finish that dinner! A comedic tour de force!

I thought David Hyde Pierce was wonderful, and good god Kate Baldwin was just fantastic. I enjoyed Gavin Creel as well. 

One nice credit to this production: NO PROJECTIONS. It was so refreshing to see hand drawn backdrops and many were really stunning. For the record I was in Balcony row B and the view was fantastic.

Overall the whole thing felt like I'd been there 90 minutes despite being 2:45. An evening of pure joy and I'd go back tomorrow if I could. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#120HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:50pm

Anyone have a photo of the playbill title page?

Dollypop
#121HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:51pm

Much too emotional at this point. Tears of joy from beginning to end. The people behind me told me they'd never seen a person enjoy a show as much as I did tonight. I'll post more when I rejoin the human race. Right now II'm on Cloud 9.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#122HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:53pm

Michelle, Wow, I'm jealous of the way you got to start your Broadway viewing career! I assume you'll be checking out this production? What do you remember most about Pearl Bailey's performance?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#123HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:53pm

Oh snap, I gotta get tickets somehow.

BroadwayBeebe
#124HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:54pm

I can't add much more than to what has already been said, but god I felt honored to be there. Maybe one of the most special nights in the theatre. You could feel the love for the show and the production just oozing out of every inch of the Shubert. The night flew by and I was sad when it was time to leave. What a treat to see such a revival and what a gorgeous production this was. Can't wait to see how many Tony Awards it picks up. I will do everything I can to get back in and see it again. Wow!

Updated On: 3/16/17 at 11:54 PM

Videos