News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Martin Guerre 96 cast recording- Page 2

Martin Guerre 96 cast recording

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#25re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/17/05 at 2:49pm

I used to have it! And then my brother played Frisbee with it, and it died. Now I miss it...

eatlasagna
#26re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/18/05 at 4:57pm

haha... that made me laugh, littlefish

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/18/05 at 6:08pm

"I used to have it! And then my brother played Frisbee with it, and it died. Now I miss it... "

Maybe another similar CD will return in 7 years! :)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LA Guy Profile Photo
LA Guy
#28re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/18/05 at 7:46pm

I have been fortunate enough to have seen the original version, the revised West End, and then the US Tour. While I love the music (despite some sometimes pedestiran lyrics), I wholly agree with elsgr8, in that the main problem with the show is that it lacks any and all suspense and mystery which so dominates the movie (which I highly recommend seeing if you have not). In watching the film, you had no idea that Martin was not Martin when he returned. So when the real Martin comes back, it was a great twist... because you still didn't know who was who. In addition, it gave such great nuance to the Bertrande character, for we are surprised to learn that she knew all along... but she was happy that the "new" Martin was kind, caring and compassionate. It breaks your heart. In the musical, all that is lost and instead it devolves into a protestant v christian musical which lacks any heart or soul.

As for the recordings, go for the original version - 1996.

One option is to buy from the UK direct... try amazon.co.uk (price I found was 19 pounds, or about $30).
UK Amazon.com

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#29re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/18/05 at 8:06pm

Never mind.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 3/18/05 at 08:06 PM

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#30re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/18/05 at 8:23pm

Thanks LA Guy for that analysis of the film and also for letting me know that I was not the only one disturbed by the changes made from the original screenplay. In my own case, I think I was so angry that they'd given away "the secret" that I kind of turned off to the show, that and the fact that Hunter Foster was, as I've said earlier, not the right person to play this particular part.

fengshuihellnyc
#31re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:11am

I like the 96 version cause it includes the best part of the show that was later taken out..... The louison song. Where one of the characters sings with a scarecrow. Hey did everyone know that Jose llana from the spelling be was one of the original touring leads.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#32re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 9:18am

Louison was still in the revised show, though not on the new 1999 recording. However, I was quite upset that they cut 'Welcome Home', one of the few upbeat numbers in the entire show. And the beautiful prologue.

As for the plot - OK, so we know that it's not Martin, but is it entirely clear whether Bertrande did? Even with the lack of suspense, I acutally found it quite moving that no matter how hard Bertrande tries to have a second chance at her marriage (even if it's not the original husband!), it still gets torn apart because of petty religious hatred. I liked it re: Martin Guerre  96 cast recording

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#33re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 9:26am

As for the plot - OK, so we know that it's not Martin, but is it entirely clear whether Bertrande did?

In which version? In the original one, she knew right away the the man who returned was not Martin, right? They had the song where he wanted to go, but she asked him to stay with her. Updated On: 3/21/05 at 09:26 AM

Sant
#34re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 9:30am

I wish they had kept "Working On The Land" which was a brilliant opening number for the show. It's there in the '99 version as "Welcome to the land" but it's not even half as good as it was as the opening number.

But they did add the beautiful "How Many Tears" to the score for the '99 version - which is my favorite numbers of the new score.

Generally I prefer the '96 recording - much better, though the later recording does have the lovely Joanna Riding as Bertrande.

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#35re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 9:39am

I have the 99 cast recording and I absolutly love the song Why. Especially when all three characters sing in counterpoint. It gives me chills. I would love to get the '96 recording. I also saw on the cast album database that there's a spanish cast recording. I'd be interested in getting that. Anyone know where one could get it??
Cast Album Database

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#36re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 10:38am

go to the library and check it out. than burn on computer. than return.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#37re: Martin Guerre 96 cast recording
Posted: 3/21/05 at 11:33am

amasis - you're completly right, I'd forgotten that song! However, in the 're-imagined' UK tour I thought that it was much less clear-cut (though I could be mis-remembering!). I suppose that the difficulty is that if he is consciously tricking her, the character of Arnaud becomes unsympathetic.

And in response to the original request, the Original London Cast recording (red cover) has been deleted, so the only place you are able to get them now is Ebay re: Martin Guerre  96 cast recording

Videos