News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Most Overrated Musicals of the Season- Page 3

Most Overrated Musicals of the Season

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#50Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 11:12pm

"I would  take Dr Z over Once any day of the week."

Unless you mean the dermatologist who advertises on the subway, you're too late.

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 11:12 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#51Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 11:35pm

Fantod, don't worry. People on this board are bitchy, don't let it get to you. I agree with the many of you, I'm tired of Fun Home, American in Paris, Once was dreadful and Gentleman's Guide was just "ok", and Starcatcher was hell made into a play. I'm loving your opinions! Keep 'em coming!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#52Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/15/15 at 11:41am

It's true.  Some conversations really aren't worth having.

For the record, I loved 'Once'.

I think the most over-rated show for this season was 'It's Only A Play'

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#53Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/15/15 at 12:13pm

Aw, I always liked you NYadgal. What's your problem with me? Aside from the fact that I am a fan of hyperbole.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#54Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/15/15 at 12:26pm

I agree with the comment that calling anything overrated or using the emperor-has-no-clothes cliche both imply that one's own opinion is the objectively correct one and that others have somehow gotten it wrong.  So i don't think anyone can overrate a show or performance - if they liked it, they liked it.

There are shows that i have not been able to connect with as strongly as many others have.   From this season, the biggest contrast for me was Fun Home.  I only saw it at the Public and i understand that there have been some revisions and more interesting staging in the round, but the score and story didn't move me enough to make me want to go back and see it again, although i'm glad that i did see it once.  My least favorite from this season was (by far) Honeymoon in Vegas, but that seems fairly typical judging from its early closure.  From other seasons, my least favorite has been American Idiot.  I also did not love Peter and the Star Catcher that way that many posters on here have, nor Billy Elliott.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#55Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/15/15 at 12:50pm

Fantod:  I don't have a problem with you.  

Once a conversation becomes about trying to convince someone that their opinion is wrong, it becomes pointless.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

MegInManhattan
#56Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/15/15 at 1:43pm

My most over-rated musical was "An American In Paris". It's a beautiful first-rate ballet with some semblance of a story and passable singing, but a great overall MUSICAL it is not!

Videos