News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Most Overrated Musicals of the Season- Page 2

Most Overrated Musicals of the Season

ebontoyan
#25Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 12:04pm

No hate JoseLee_ since I feel the same way! The only song I liked is Days and Days. And I'm not even going to try to see the show...I was also underwhelmed with the cast recordings of Once and Gentleman's Guide and when I watched the shows I was so bored and trying hard not to fall asleep!  The only reason I didn't skip out at intermission was because they were Tony winners.  

But we most likely have the minority view in this board!  And I have been called out many times for having this contrary opinion lol But hey not hurting anyone just sharing an opinion!

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 12:04 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 12:20pm

Ugh, I hated Once.

Easily one of my least liked musicals ever.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 12:27pm

Some of you people have no souls.

(and, yes, I am typing in the sarcasm font)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mamaleh
#28Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:00pm

A kindred spirit. For me, ONCE was one time more than enough, a case of the emperor's having no clothes. I could not understand why it was so popular.  I'd rate it akin to watching paint dry--the theatrical equivalent of golf.

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 01:00 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#29Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:23pm

Mameleh's description doesn't even cover how horrifyingly boring the show actually was. Beautiful set, though.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#30Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:26pm

And I loved everything about it.

Go know.

brdway411
#31Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:32pm

The Visit

On The 20th Century

On The Town 

An American in Paris

Something Rotten 

Fun Home

Finding Neverland

Hamilton

So not watching the Tony's this year. I hate Cheno and I just don't care this year. 

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 02:32 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:30pm

Wow that about covers everything

It is heresy to dislike Fun & Hamilton. People have been drawn and quartered for not praising Fun Home to the heavens.  What, if anything, did you like?

Poster Emeritus

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#33Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:42pm

Go know?

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#34Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:03pm

Once: The musical is so slow.. we tried so hard not to fall asleep BUT the score is beautiful. (I hear it all time)

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder: The musical was BORING AS HELL and the score isn't good (except for Foolish to Think & I've Decided to Marry You)

Peter and the Starcatcher: That hype fooled me. What was that?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:14pm

Definitely agree re Once. Thankfully saw a boot of it so the monetary loss was minimal. Seeing it live would have made it more unbearable.

Enjoyed going to Murder.Did not see Peter

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/14/15 at 05:14 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#36Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:20pm

"And I loved everything about it.
Go know."

I loved it too.

So nu?

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#37Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:24pm

A kindred spirit. For me, ONCE was one time more than enough, a case of the emperor's having no clothes

See, that's another turn of phrase that I find slightly irritating. It suggests that people who liked something you didn't like are basically lying, and that you are the only person brave enough to state the obvious truth. 

I imagine that most people who use this turn of phrase don't consciously intend to convey all of that, but that is what is implied if the comparison to Andersen's tale is taken seriously.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#38Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:26pm

Most Overrated Musicals of the Season

"Mameleh's description doesn't even cover how horrifyingly boring the show actually was. Beautiful set, though."

Does this capture it?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 5:27pm

Since when is Once part of this season?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#40Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:09pm

Why am I the one singled out for thinking it's boring, but not anyone else? 

brdway411
#41Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:46pm

None of the musicals on Broadway

Loved Curious Incident and Hand to God. That's about it. Everything else was mediocre at best. 

brdway411
#42Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 6:55pm

to be fair, I did see Hamilton early in previews when it clocked in at right around 3 hours. Hoping that some cuts will be made to make it flow better. 

FishermanBob
#43Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:03pm

"Why am I the one singled out for thinking it's boring, but not anyone else? "

Because you weren't just bored like others were, you were HORRIFIED by how boring it was.  Seriously, you can never just say you didn't like something, it's always got to be the most horrific, dreadful, incredibly bad, awful thing you've ever seen.  Until the next show you don't like then that becomes the most horrifically bad, dreadful, inept, ridiculously awful and absurd thing you've ever seen.  You're free of course, to say whatever you want and others are free to find amusement in how many synonyms for bad you feel compelled to use to simply say you just didn't care for something.

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 07:03 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#44Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:08pm

Oh please, even I am not that melodramatic. It still remains the most boring show I've ever seen, so maybe horrifying is too strong a word to use, but you don't need to take it upon yourself to correct my language. Do you really enjoy nitpicking every single one of my posts? I would think somebody that has such a strong and inherent disliking of me would just block me so that I go away forever, but for some reason you still haven't.

FishermanBob
#45Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:24pm

"Oh please, even I am not that melodramatic. It still remains the most boring show I've ever seen, so maybe horrifying is too strong a word to use, but you don't need to take it upon yourself to correct my language. Do you really enjoy nitpicking every single one of my posts? I would think somebody that has such a strong and inherent disliking of me would just block me so that I go away forever, but for some reason you still haven't."

I didn't correct your language, I poked fun at it.  And yes, you are that melodramatic. And I hardly nitpick every one of your posts. That would be a full time job, and it pays poorly. I would never block you, I am entertained by you, especially when you do the same thing to IceCreamBenjamin you seem to dislke people doing to you or make comments like "Adam Feldman sometimes is on Theater Talk, and I just want to shave off his stupid side burns-moustache combination thing and put a sock in his mouth. Everything he says is stupid and bitchy." Someone who likes to play the victim really should refrain from advocating violence towards others, don't you think?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:32pm

I would  take Dr Z over Once any day of the week.

Poster Emeritus

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#47Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 7:54pm

Unless his sideburns are actually a part of his skin, I can't see how shaving them would be violent. Perhaps you might need to learn to shave better, no?

I am in no way a victim. I am perfectly capable of standing up for myself, and am not always nice to people who I don't feel I need to be nice to. If you don't feel that you have to be nice to me, don't be. I was merely saying that you seem to be wasting an awful lot of effort correcting me and my language and that I failed to see the point.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#48Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 10:50pm

Fisherman Bob, some conversations just aren't worth having.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#49Most Overrated Musicals of the Season
Posted: 5/14/15 at 10:59pm

This sounds weird, but that comment seriously hurt. What even is your problem with me anyways?

Videos