News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT movie

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#50re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:11pm

Chris Columbus' directing credits (courtesy of www.imdb.com)

Rent (2004) (in production)
NFL Dad (2004) (announced)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
Bicentennial Man (1999)
Stepmom (1998
Nine Months (1995)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
Only the Lonely (1991)
Home Alone (1990)
Heartbreak Hotel (1988
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)

I really like Columbus' films. Sorry, but looking at that list, the only one I really didn't care for was Bicentenial Man. He's never done anything like RENT before, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. Until I was 16, I hadn't driven a car, but that didn't mean I couldn't do it. Give him a chance. Because, hey! You don't have a choice!!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 7/5/04 at 02:11 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#51re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:17pm

Well Well Well, everyone. Also according to IMDB, the producers of the films are the following people -

Chris Columbus
Robert De Niro
Jon Kilik
Spike Lee
Jane Rosenthal

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#52re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:20pm

Spike Lee's producing? Why not directing? He'd be PERFECT
I hear Spike Lee's shooting down the street

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#53re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:28pm

Bah Hum Bug.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

broadwaystar2b
#54re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:30pm

Cold hands

J. Profile Photo
J.
#55re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:13pm

Afer seein Chirs Columbus' credit, RENT will definitely be a departure for him. But remember people, Sam Mendes(American Beauty) had never even directed a movie in his life before and he won an Academy Award for it.

sean martin
#56re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:18pm

At the risk of sounding racist, I dont think Lee would be good for this because the material isn't "black" enough for him. He's good at edgy, urban stories of African-Americans, but he just cant seem to find his way with handling caucasian or hispanic actors with any sense of style beyond "shallow at best". Check out how he handles the ensemble in "Do the Right Thing", and you'll see what I mean.

Columbus? A completely insipid choice, for my money. The last thing I want to see is "Harry Potter and the Winter of Our Discontent". My own choice would be Alfonso Cuaron, who not only directed the new HP movie but also the brilliant Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN. This guy knows how to work a young cast in darkly visual ways. Now there would have been the perfect director.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#57re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:23pm

I hope that you guys one day start a new job and you have to hear everyone around you saying how you're going to fail and how they can't believe you got hired. No no, it doesn't matter if you can do it or not. Warner Bros. hired him for a reason. Can one person on this board stand up and say they attended meetings between Columbus and the producers and the studio? Anyone? Come on, guys! You all seem to know everything about his directing and what he's going to do to this film. Nobody? Going once...twice... Okay, than. How about everyone shutting up about what he "might" do and "could" do and wait to see what he WILL do.

broadwaystar2b
#58re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:24pm

But Matt_G, I'm frightened

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#59re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:29pm

There are worse things in this world now to be frightened about. Christ, I mean we have an election coming up. Worry about your civil rights being violated and your family members being deployed to foreign countries. Let Hollywood try to make films to entertain us. Nobody here has any say about what will happen. I am going to put my money down that Columbus will make a fine film. He's a big fan of the show and to me, that's #1. He WANTS to be true to Larson's vision. Doesn't that mean anything to you guys who are bitching and moaning? He WANTS to make this a great film. Please, people. Wait until you see it to cast judgements on the man.

sean martin
#60re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:30pm

>> How about everyone shutting up about what he "might" do and "could" do and wait to see what he WILL do

All well and good, Matt, but every director, after a while, has a certain style you can see coming from that proverbial mile away. Columbus is good in his own element, but his tackling something as dark and urbane as RENT? Sorry, friend, cant see it. It'd be like Cukor doing an action flick.

Now sure, he may surprise us all and blow this thing right out of the water, and if so, good for him. But on the basis of what I've seen of his work to date, I find his style and the style of RENT to be pretty far apart.

And just because the guy may be good doesn't guarantee a good film. Can anyone say "the film version of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC"?

So that's my opinion. Take it or leave it. I'm open to being corrected, but Columbus directing RENT raises a whole field of red flags.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#61re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:36pm

Back in 1984 when directors were being scouted for a big screen version of Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize winning novel A COLOR PURPLE, a young director whose previous films included JAWS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and 1941 came forward saying he desperately wanted to direct it. Now, looking at those films would you think Steven Spielberg would be capable of directing a piece as heavy as PURPLE? But what he succeeded in doing was making a film that earned 11 Academy Award nominations and is now one of the most beautiful and beloved films ever made.

Just because someone hasn't attempted something doesn't mean it can't be done. You have every right to be skeptical about it. But don't be mean.

J. Profile Photo
J.
#62re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:41pm

Yeah but he directed "The Terminal."

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#63re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:43pm

What about THE TERMINAL? That was one of the best films I've seen so far this year.

J. Profile Photo
J.
#64re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:45pm

"The Terminal" was a 2 hour 15 minute romantic comedy. That doesn't work very well. People went to "Dodgeball" instead.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#65re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:48pm

That's fine, but what does that have to do with Columbus directing RENT?

I used Spielberg as an example to show that just because a director hasn't attempted a certain genre before it doesn't mean that the finished product can't be an amazing film.

I said nothing about box office numbers.

sean martin
#66re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:50pm

>> Now, looking at those films would you think Steven Spielberg would be capable of directing a piece as heavy as PURPLE?

Actually? Yes, because those early films demonstrate an ability to bring real characters out of what are essentially cartoon situations. We come to care about these folks, whether they're battling great white sharks or tombs full of snakes or aliens buzzing the Utah landscape. Couple that with his inerrant visual sense and he seems a great, if not inspired, choice for PURPLE.

But look at the list for Columbus' work to date: they're all what I would call "bright colour" work. They're all well done, but they all have a definite vision that's... well, the right word escapes me at the moment, so I'll have to settle for the somewhat lame "happy". They're very loving films, very filmic situation comedies -- even his approach to the POTTER films was more childlike than anything else (and I mean that in the sense of the material, not a judgment call on his work): you had scary creatures, but, with one exception, they weren't threatening. They were fun. He comes closest to handling the dark side with the giant snake in CHAMBER OF SECRETS, but everything else? A light touch all around. Hell, look at the Kidditch game in the second film, where Harry is trying to avoid getting killed by a flying bomb: it comes across more like a proposal for a theme park ride than an actual life-threatening situation.

My bet with RENT is that he'll go for the slash-edit as much as possible. The dramatic scenes will be... okay, but not as deeply felt as they could have been in someone else's hands because he's not that good at scenes with deeply felt emotion (Look at some of the final scenes of MRS DOUBTFIRE, where contrivance takes precedent over real emotion).

Bottom line: it'll be professionally done. But it wont be a bullseye.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#67re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:52pm

Do me a favor, Sean Martin. Look into that crystal ball and tell me what the lotto numbers will be Wednesday night.

broadwaystar2b
#68re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:53pm

Kidditch? I think you mean Quidditch

sean martin
#69re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:54pm

Matt, if you cant handle a serious critique, maybe you're in the wrong business.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#70re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:55pm

No, I can handle serious critiques, but you're critiquing a work that hasn't even been made yet! Does nobody else get how ridiculous that is??

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#71re: RENT movie

Double Post

Updated On: 7/5/04 at 03:55 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#72re: RENT movie

Triple post

Updated On: 7/5/04 at 03:55 PM

sean martin
#73re: RENT movie

>> Kidditch? I think you mean Quidditch

True enough. Sometimes speling isnt mi beist subgekt. :)

sean martin
#74re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 3:59pm

>> No, I can handle serious critiques, but you're critiquing a work that hasn't even been made yet! Does nobody else get how ridiculous that is??

We do it all the time. Kerry isn't president (yet), and already people are deciding how good a job he'll do. These boards are filled with folks expressing their opinion over who would and would not be an acceptable casting choice. If you cant handle someone expressing an opinion about the viability of a certain professional to handle a particular job, then... well, at trhe risk of sounding blunt my second day here, tough. Get over it and move on. But just because you find it "ridiculous" isn't, I'm sorry to say, sufficient reason for me to change how I feel about this as I do.

Now. I've posted some fairly solid reasons why, IMHO, I happen to think Columbus is the wrong choice for this film. Counter them, if you feel you must. But to dismiss them with a personal attack because you can't write anything else isn't doing much for your argument, friend.

Updated On: 7/5/04 at 03:59 PM

Videos