News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT movie

ponine24601
#125re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:06pm

ok i agree that we should get a new cast. i just love the obc so much. um....i agree with jai as angel. i've never seen him live or anything, but he seems great in the role.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#126re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:07pm

Oh, I heart the OBC with all of my heart. And although some of them do not have the greatest voice (Collins), it is the energy and passion that I love about the recording. It just begs you to love it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

ponine24601
#127re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:11pm

wait who does collins play? *flips through rent booklet* oh i really should say who plays collins. o well. i can't wait until the movie starts!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#128re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:13pm

Jesse L. Martin plays Collins. He is on Law and Order now. I mean, he has a decent voice..........but when he tries to hit low notes, he sounds terrible. But, he does make me tear up on "I'll Cover You (Reprise)"

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#129re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:14pm

re: RENT movie

The one holding Angel's hand

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#130re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:15pm

I know this is never going to happen, but I think John Cameron Mitchell would play a good Mark

ponine24601
#131re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:18pm

aww cute picture! i agree with you choice for mark.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#132re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:24pm

I like Jesse L. Martin's voice. I'll never get sick of his I'll Cover You Reprise rendition. But that's really the only song that showcases his voice. How bout Queen Latifah as Joanne?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#133re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:26pm

Oooooooo. Maybe.

2day4u9704301 Profile Photo
2day4u9704301
#134re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:28pm

Wouldn't she fit the part of Mrs. Jefferson a little better? Joanne would work, too tho!

Type_A_Tiff
#135re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:33pm

I have no idea about his singing voice, but on acting talent alone, what about Ryan Gosling as Mark? (Cue for all the arthouse movie lovers to go "Ooooooh.")

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#136re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:34pm

so what are your ideal casts for rent? im not totaly sure of mine but heres what i have so far unless columbus comes up with some decent unknowns (which is unlikely):

mimi-catherine zeta jones
mark- john cameron mitchell but i might be able to live with clay aiken doing it
angel-definately jai
maureen-renee...gosh for some reason i forget her last name-the person who played roxie in the chicago movie

hmmmm i dunno about roger benny etc and the people i mentioned probably wont end up in the film but hey i can dream cant i?

Plum
#137re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:36pm

I actually really like Jesse L. Martin's voice. Fredi Walker occassionally makes me cringe on "Take Me or Leave Me," though.

But I doubt casting really great singers was the show's intent.

ponine24601
#138re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:37pm

everyone knows that my ideal cast is the OBC, but that's just me.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#139re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:41pm

"maureen-renee...gosh for some reason i forget her last name-the person who played roxie in the chicago movie"

I don't agree, but her last name is Zellweger... I don't think I spelled it right, but there it is anyway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#140re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 9:12pm

Type_A_Tiff, I don't know if this is going to make much of a difference in terms of his voice, but Ryan Gosling was on The New Mickey Mouse Club with Britney and the gang and from what I remember he wasn't half bad.

Catherine Zeta Jones doesn't fit the part of Mimi. I think the mom from My Wife and Kids is a great choice because she fits the part and can sing (She played Chiffon in the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors). That's just my thought.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#141re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 9:41pm

spiderdj82 i agree with you that Robin DeJesus (Michael) SHOULD play Angel! Robin is GREAT! He and I auditioned for CAMP together and we belonged to the same theatre group! His range is incredible though! He was always mainly known for his voice in our theatre program...hes amazing! I hope that they consider him!

"And if I'm flying solo.. at least I'm flying free..."

broadwayangel Profile Photo
broadwayangel
#142re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:17pm

i'm not sure about who i would like to see in the rest of the cast but i would KILL to see heather headly as joanne. i mean it's nothing like any of her other roles. Any jai would/does make a great angel. He looks so cute in the pictures!

Ev'ry so often we long to steal to the land of what might have been but that dos'nt soften the ache we feel when reality sets back in.

ponine24601
#143re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:33pm

i vote heather headley as mimi. she's too skinny to be joanne. i mean that in the best way possible.

insomniak
#144re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:53pm

Wow. The things I miss.

I have gone over this topic obsessivly elsewhere, so I'm rather sick of debating my points, but here they are.

1- The OBC, though I will always love them the most, are too old now. Sorry, they are not twenty anymore, that's what the characters need to be.

2- No celebrities. I do not want to go see Rent and think 'that's Clay Aiken singing with Justin Timberlake'. I want to see Mark and Roger, not a pair of famous popstars. Their image would block out Rent's message and get in the way of any honest protrayls of the starving-artist characters.

3- New people. People we have never seen before, anywhere. That's what Jonathan always wanted. This show is dying, much as I hate to admit it, and we need all the fresh, untapped energy we can get to bring it back with this movie. It needs fresh, young, energetic, edgy rock singers, not Christina and Britney. This is not a publicity stunt.

4- Spider's icon is hot. I saw The Terminal tonight, and I am questioning my straightness. But Cath as Mimi? No. She doesn't have the age, voice, persona and is too famous.

I'm sorry if that's blunt, but I have typed variations of this speech too many times elsewhere to try to make it sound pretty.

ponine24601
#145re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:58pm

ahhh!!! she lives! i agree with everything!

insomniak
#146re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 11:01pm

'Course I live, ponine. You didn't think I could really stay away that long, didja? I was just exploring life outside the message board. re: RENT movie

I think I said my piece already, but if anyone feels the need to argue, I'm waiting.

FosseBoi
#147re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 11:51pm

I agree with all new people, but I wonder how Christina Agulera would be as Maureen. If she REALLY sang it, the girl really does have a great voice when she really sings!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Type_A_Tiff
#148re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/30/04 at 12:01am

I'd prefer Christina as Mimi than Maureen. I don't think seh has the comedic timing for Maureen.

I can deal with one or two celebrities in the roles *as long as they're good (a la Hugh Jackman in BFO) and not just stunt casting (a la...everyone else)*, but I'd rather have an unknown cast too, so I don't go into the theatre with any preconceptions.

I still say Queen Latifah for Joanne though. Celeb #1. And Celeb #2...maybe Christina A., but I'm not huge on the idea. I just wouldn't slit my wrists over it.

Videos