News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT movie

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#100re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:07pm

IDINA AS MAUREEN!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

shesings
#101re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:12pm

I hope that Taye is in it in some way or another. He is just so hot!
And I agree with the Jai casting.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#102re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:13pm

It's been 8 years already - that's nearly a decade. The original cast, great as they are, are too old; it wouldn't be believable. I would like to see a cast of fresh 20-year old unknowns, but we know how likely THAT will be. re: RENT movie

(I did, however, see Lea Salonga in her return to Miss Saigon, 8 years after she originated the role of 17-year old Kim. But that was a special case.)

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#103re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:15pm

Have you seen Taye, Idina, and Anthony recently? They really haven't aged much...give Idina her Maureen do and you'd swear she didn't age at all.

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#104re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:19pm

In spain there is an old singer of 50 years playing Eliza Dolittle... everything is possible!

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#105re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:20pm

And look at the actors on the OC...they don't look like they're in high school to me.

shesings
#106re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 10:36pm

the OC ... why don't we just cast those kids!

(the girls are hs age though!)

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#107re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:02pm

ok heres what ive heard...

timberlake is NOT going to be roger (yay there may be some hope for this after all) clay aiken is being auditioned for mark, and christina agulara for mimi... but nothing is certain yet

in my opinion the only way to go is to use unknowns or young broadway actors... rent isnt supposed to be a publicity stunt and im sure larson would rather die a hundred times over again than see pop stars perform in his musical

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#108re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:14pm

Flame me if you will, but I can actually see Christina as Mimi. (The lesser of two evils, the other evil being Brittany Murphy - come on.) Way back when, Christina used to be known for her pipes. I'm sure her Out Tonight would kick ass.

However, in that case I hope My Adam Pascal doesn't play Roger...we don't want Xtina to give him an STD. (That girl is dirrty!)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#109re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:16pm

I think Christina would ROCK with "Take me Out Tonight" as long as she doesn't do all of those trills. Also, I think Clay would do well as Mark. I want the guy who played Michael in CAMP to be Angel. I think he would rock so much in that part. I mean, in CAMP we get to hear him sing and get to see him in Drag. PERFECT!! re: RENT movie

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

GretchaSketch Profile Photo
GretchaSketch
#110re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:17pm

Idina said that she would never do it again. She said that it was a very special time in her life and that cast had a great thing going. She said that she wouldn't go back and try to recreate that. I wish she would do it again cause I just can't see anyone else in the part.

"I'm through accepting limits, 'cuz someone says they're so, some things I cannot change but till I try I'll never know."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#111re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:17pm

Tiff, you make me laugh!

Anyway, I actually could see it too. I'm not saying I like the idea, but I could picture it working, strangely enough.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

NoDayButToday2
#112re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:27pm

hey spiderdj82 i think michael from CAMP would be AWESOME! idk about his dancing though.. i mean do you think he could really dance around in 3 inch platform boots? and when he has his little solo in 'century plant' it sounds like he doesnt have a very high range... something you really would need to play angel

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#113re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:30pm

At the end of CAMP when they sing "Want of a Nail" (where he is drag no less), he has a much powerful voice than in "Century Planet." I mean, he will have to work on his high register and dancing in heals, but I think he would be THE BEST CHOICE, or Jai from QUEER EYE (who has been in RENT twice as Angel)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

luvtheEmcee
#114re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:31pm

I vote for Jai. He's FABULOUS as Angel.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#115re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:32pm

I want to see his portrayal SO BAD but I can't. BOLARG!!!!

ponine24601
#116re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:33pm

I VOTE FOR ADAM AS ROGER!!!!! and Idina as Maureen. Heck, I vote for the OBC!! (just got the recording and i'm loving it!!)

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#117re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:38pm

Hummm. I think Roger is going to be the hardest to cast because we all love Adam in it and expect to hear his voice for that character. For Maureen, I think it will be easier to cast.

Plum
#118re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:38pm

I hate to break up your worship of the OBC (which I think is a mixed group), but don't you think it would be more in the spirit of Rent to find new talent?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#119re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:49pm

I do, because that is what RENT is all about. It is help unknowns get their feet in the door on broadway.

NoDayButToday2
#120re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:51pm

okay. no matter how much anyone wants the OBC to be in the movie, its not gonna happen... they all have aged so much since theyve been in it, plus a few have said that the dont want to ruin the memories they already have, and im sure the remaining cast members wont want to perform without the entire OBC intact so th at whole idea is out of the question...

roger is definately going to be hard to cast... his range is insane and he should be able to play guitar though i dont think that would be too difficult to teach, plus its gonna be hard for anyone to take pascals place. even when larson was doing the casting roger was the last place filled. im not expecting much from whoever plays roger in the movie. actually im not expecting much from the movie period. all i can hope is that it inspires people to go see it on broadway and support the people who in my opinion have the real talent

luvtheEmcee
#121re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:52pm

"Hummm. I think Roger is going to be the hardest to cast because we all love Adam in it and expect to hear his voice for that character."

I don't think that's going to make the part any harder to cast, but I do think it's going to make seeing whoever does get cast in it kind of weird for big RENT fans... just the way it is when you go to see the show now, and Roger's part comes and you expect to hear Adam, but you don't.

Anyway... that said, I love my Adam, but I really do think he's too old to pull off Roger anymore. As beautiful as he is, he can't believably play early 20's anymore.

Updated On: 7/29/04 at 07:52 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#122re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 7:52pm

Great post

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#123re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:03pm

Dear god, I'm a decidedly heterosexual woman (I love me some Adam) but Spider, that icon could make me hop the fence.

Yeesh.

Back on topic - Jai R. as Angel definitely (I think that's the closest legit possibility of getting a Broadway actor in the movie though).

I like Clay Aiken's voice, and I think with a bit of time, he can get Mark's required "edge", but I think Anthony Rapp has that nasally voice that really works for that character. What about the lead singer of Maroon 5? (Adam whatshisname.)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#124re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/29/04 at 8:06pm

Adam really doesn't have the right voice for it (And I LOVE Maroon 5 by the way). It is TOO nasally. Anthony Rapp had a right balance of nasal and clear voice.

And yes, the dripping wet, naked Catherine makes you want to lick your computer screen, doesn't it?

Videos