News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT movie

broadwayguy2
#25re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:17am

cast breakdowns put Collins in his late 20s

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#26re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:18am

And Jesse looks far older than that.

How old are Maureen, Benny, and Joanne supposed to be?

broadwayguy2
#27re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:21am

maureen is in her late teens/early 20s. same with Angel.
Joanne is mid-late 20s.
The rest are early-mid 20s

SammyGal
#28re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:33am

I just really hope its not miscast and becomes horrendous.

On a clear day I can see myself for miles ~Taboo

broadwayguy2
#29re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:34am

It's olumbus. It's Rent. It will be horrendous.

SammyGal
#30re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:39am

I'm gonna give it a tiny chance and hope for the best.
Then I can trash it after I see it :)

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#31re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:52am

Cast breakdown:
http://www.wannabeinrent.com/

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#32re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:02am

Natalie Venetia Belcon (Q's Gary Coleman) as Joanne! She's played it before!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

BroadwayGirl107
#33re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:03am

Thank you Musetta, that's great.

I have a feeling they won't follow this so closely when casting the movie.

I'm all for Aj McClean as Roger.

SammyGal
#34re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:05am

AJ ? PLEASE NO!

BroadwayGirl107
#35re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:10am

Why not? His voice sounds right for the part, he's a good singer, and he seems to have gone through some things that make me think that he is the most "real" star they could cast in this film.

SammyGal
#36re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:12am

I don't see him as Roger. He's a little too "punky" meets "boy band" with the goatee and everything.
AJ and J.Timberlake ? Award winning movie right there! haha

I'd like if they stuck to people who've played it on broadway or aren't picked for their name or something.

BroadwayGirl107
#37re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:14am

But that's completely unrealistic, they have to cast some stars to sell the movie. And if they are going to cast a star...to me, he seems like the best choice.

J. Profile Photo
J.
#38re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:40am

The day this movie finally comes out, I will probably be an old man with grandchildren. Updated On: 7/5/04 at 01:40 AM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#39re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 11:59am

I do NOT want to see boy band members in this movie. I don't want recording artists in this movie. Go with a bunch of uber-talented unknowns and it will be a winner in my eyes. Ditch the director too.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#40re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:29pm

but J. if they wait that long cant they still use the OBC? As much as i love them and nothing can top there portails of these characters, the only person i see being casted in the movie is Taye Diggs - maybe even playing collins and getting Usher to do Benny, he's done some acting. My other votes go to Jai for Angel, Mya for Mimi (if she can act)maybe an unknown for Mark, i heard rumors that brittney murphy is a great singing, if this holds true she would be a good maureen. As for the rest, who knows.

Just my thoughts.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

BWayBoy88
#41re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 12:58pm

I definitely agree with Jai as Angel. He was the understudy and went on for the role when I saw the show like 4 years ago. He is getting to be a big name that would attract people to seeing the movie.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#42re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:01pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

sycorax
#43re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:12pm

Mya would be a good Mimi, if we're speaking realistically. I could live with that.

What I COULDN'T live with is Clay Aiken. God. Miscast of the century. Not hip, not edgy, not artistic, not an actor. No. Wrong.

Crossing my fingers that it's not a total embarrassment...

"It means that the other guys didn't win!" --Jeff Marx on what winning a Tony would mean to him

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#44re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:52pm

I heard Brittany Murphy sing on the MTV Movie Awards a few years ago. She was amazing. I've been thinking about her as Maureen ever since I saw that. She'd be excellent.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#45re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 1:54pm

I think
Judge Hatchett as Maureen
Judge Joe Brown as Collins
Judge Marilyn Millian as Mimi
Judge Judy as Mark's Mom
Judge Larry Joe as Roger
Judge Mablean Ephriam as Joanne

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 7/5/04 at 01:54 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#46re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:01pm

I think spike lee could do a better job than columbus. It would be pretty awesome if they put some of the original cast into the movie...or maybe just for a cameo. But if you want the original cast back together, they should do a concert of the show. Like the one theyre doing in london.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#47re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:04pm

That would be really cool.

I am mad that they chose Columbus. He has said that he has great respect for Larson's legacy. I don't think that he will do anything to completely screw it up. I don't think it will be as amazing as it could have been with someone like Spike Lee.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#48re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:06pm

They already had a reunion concert at Studio 54 a few years ago. It was an amazing night.

BWayBoy88
#49re: RENT movie
Posted: 7/5/04 at 2:09pm

Has Columus ever done a movie without kids? I cant imagine the same guy who directer Home Alone and Harry Potter doing a movie with drag queens and AIDS.

Videos