News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Rent!

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#250RENT!
Posted: 2/26/05 at 6:35pm

What is loveable about Roger? He's so moody! You just want to slap him, and then grab him by the shoulders, and scream: GET A LIFE!!!!!!!

Okay, actually, I CAN love him. Under the right circumstances. For instance, when I saw Rent in NYC (w/Jeremy Kushnier), I loved Roger. Loved him. Why? It probably had a lot to do with the fact that I hated Mark in that performance (damn Drew Lachey!) and the fact that he played Roger in a more likeable way. (Quite honestly, during that performance, I was hoping Roger would beat the crap outta Mark... damn Drew Lachey!) For instance, he was moody, but he didn't alienate. Does that make sense? As amazing as Dan whats-his-face from the tour is, he makes me hate his character (only, not during One Song Glory or Your Eyes!). And, in all honesty, I don't even hate either Rogers during most of the big numbers he's in (i.e. Rent, One Song Glory, Light My Candle, etc. etc.). Its all those little bits when he pushes his friends away that alienates me. I think my FINAL verdict on the character of Roger will be when I see Adam Pascal's performance in the Rent movie. Then I might do some rearranging. RENT! We shall see!

I'm taking a group of friends who know nothing of Rent (except Over the Moon) but who have great potential to like it! I can't wait! I am psyched! (Though, my secret fear is that the movies bad and they won't like it! *is frightened*)

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#251RENT!
Posted: 2/26/05 at 7:07pm

Yeah I get what you are saying loudasthehelliwant. At first when I listened to RENT I did find his character rather moody but the more I listened to him the more I just loved him. I think its because he uses his anger to hide his fears and flaws in life but he (or at least Adam when he was playing Roger) let that vulnerablility and worry peek out every now and then and I found that loveable. Maybe I'm just weird though, who knows. I just see it as a guy who is so scared of letting human emotion in, he shuns it with lots of anger. I think he is an aquired taste. :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

rice and beans AND cheese
#252RENT!
Posted: 2/26/05 at 9:20pm

You're not weird, I agree. I do visit LA sometimes..... but I don't know if I can convince my mom to take a trip when it comes out. Yeah, I sort-of live 8 hours away by car, but my mom used to drive there and back every other week! It really could be possible. RENT!

"It's a long story, althought it's kinda-of a short one." ~~ Wolfwood

loudasthehelliwant
#253RENT!
Posted: 2/26/05 at 11:09pm

Bad day, nevermind about this post.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"
Updated On: 2/27/05 at 11:09 PM

mleshawn
#254RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 12:44pm

loudasthehelliwant - glad you saw a different side of Roger. I always heard Jeremy Kushnier referred to as the "angry" Roger. And while I have to agree that no one throws a table better I think I laughed just as much at some of the things he did. There were moments in Light My candle that always got laughs(handcuff dance, the way Jeremy could make his voice crack when he said "you look familiar", the big hands/shirt tug, and the way he looked at Mimi's ass when she is crawling on the floor). In Happy New Year he was always doing something that made Mimi and the rest crackup. And not to be forgotten were the hilarious one liners that Kushnier interjected during Contact(if anyone has a list please PM). I could go on but you get the point. Made me ralize that Roger was always angry it was just the events of the past year or so that had made him bitter but the Roger of old was still there.

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#255RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 1:05pm

Hey, if anyone has that list, I'd like a PM too!

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

loudasthehelliwant
#256RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 1:11pm

I would like a list of those too.

I thought Kushnier saved the show. If you have bad Mark AND a bad Roger, the show is dead. Luckily, Roger was great so it was still a very enjoyable performance, despite Drew Lachey! RENT!

LaeloftheLakes
#257RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 1:37pm

Whee! I get to see it with Cary Shields and Matt Caplan!

March 23, baby!

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---

BEKA531
#258RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 1:39pm

lucky. i rushed last weekend, and lost. probably gonna try again soon.

LaeloftheLakes
#259RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 1:53pm

I'm not leaving it to rushing...I'm going the good ol' solid, broadwaybox.com way. Not taking ANY chances. I'm taking a RENTvirgin!

---
---

Dreamcatcher
#260RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 2:58pm

Yeah PM that list to me too. RENT!

Oh man, I want to see the show so badly. I mean the cast recording just isn't the same. One day, mark my words, one day I will find a way to get to NY And see it! muahaha.

You should definitly come down to LA Rice and we can go see the movie 100 times. RENT!

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

LaeloftheLakes
#261RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 6:52pm

AAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!

I just bought our tickets!!! $55 each, second row side. WAY side, but whatever!!!

---
---

Dreamcatcher
#262RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 6:58pm

ahhhh!!! Lucky Lael!! Be sure to leave a large review for us folks stuck at home after you see it! RENT!

LaeloftheLakes
#263RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 6:59pm

Oh, I most certainly will!

---
---

Dreamcatcher
#264RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:04pm

Merci Beaucoup!

OK so for my RENT paintings, the ones with pictures I think will have a quote to go with each photo. There is one of Collins and Angel (during Seasons of Love: Reprise where Angel is on the hospital bed and Collins is holding him), One of Maureen and Joanne (during Take Me or Leave Me with Maureen clinging to Joanne's leg), Mark (singing part of RENT), and 2 big group photos (one from an article and one from La Vie Boheme). Will also be adding one of Roger and Mimi and one of Benny. Does anyone have any ideas as to what quote should go by each one? I was thinkng of something from I'll Cover You for Angel and Collins and maybe "Give into love, or live in fear" for Roger and Mimi. Something other then what is normally used to portray those couples. Any ideas?

LaeloftheLakes
#265RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:14pm

I LOVE the idea of "Give in to love or live in fear" for Roger and Mimi. Here are my ideas (they may be crap, feel free to shoot me):

For Mark: "The need to express, to communicate"

For Maureen/Joanne: "Just remember that I'm your baby..." or "Take me for what I am...who I was meant to be."

For Benny: Something assholish, like, "I need the rent!" but less dumb.

For Angel/Collins: "A new lease you are, my love, on life." or "Live in my house, I'll be your shelter." or the very simple "Be my lover, and I'll cover you."

Or something.

---
---

Dreamcatcher
#266RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:25pm

Thanks Lael! Yeah I love those for Angel and for Benny I was thinking something like "Draw a line in the sand and then make a stand." Or maybe a line from You'll See. As for Joanne and Maureen...I'm not sure if I want to use something from Take Me or Leave Me because it seems like that's what everyone uses to portray them. I still have no idea about that one. As for Mark, yeah thats a great quote. :-P Thanks for the suggestions!

mleshawn
#267RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 8:13pm

Some of us started a list of Kushnier Contact lines. I am just not sure I can post them here.

Dreamcatcher
#268RENT!
Posted: 2/27/05 at 9:59pm

Could you send them over PM?

#269RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:00pm

Sorry I'm late. Oh soooooo sorry... I'm at school..... give quotes later... bye....

LaeloftheLakes
#270RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:01pm

Have fun at school, sweetie!

---
---

LaeloftheLakes
#271RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 3:33pm

Hey, everyone who reads fanfiction: Probably the saddest and most touching fanfic I've read in a LONG time. If you haven't read it already DO IT NOW!!! Also, it's even more poignant if you've heard Anthony Rapp's CD---track 10, specifically.
Visits To You

---
---

#272RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 9:09pm

Thanks!!! cute!! sweet..... I love it

Dreamcatcher
#273RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 11:18pm

Ohhhh thanks for the link Lael. What a sad but moving story. Haha maybe I'm just a super-sap but that was such a touching, well written story. I love how i was so short yet the author got so much emotion and meaning into it. Some fics need chapters and chapters to do that but this was just a small one chapter story that was beautiful. RENT! And yes, your right it does co-encide a bit with track 10 from Anthony's CD. RENT!

#274RENT!
Posted: 2/28/05 at 11:20pm

I'm listening to the song right now! Dream, your right, it says so much in so little words.

Videos