News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Sweeney Todd Film

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#0Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 2:41pm

I can remember reading an article where the interviewer discussed the possibility of a film of Sweeney Todd with Mr. Sondheim, and the possibility of any new material for the film.

Stephen replied that the score is complete, but that he is very unsatisfied with "Wait" and would like to write a new song to replace it.

I was just listening to Patti Lupone wrapping her voice around this song, and was reminded of how much I love this song. It is one of the highlights of what I think is one of the greatest scores ever written.

Now that it does look like Sweeny Todd may just grace the Silver Screen, this song might be replaced. I would be devastated to see this song go...

If I remember correctly, Stephen cited that the song is completely lacking in theatricality and that he didn't like the way it had turned out...

Would anyone else hate to see this song go, or does anyone agree with Mr. Sondheim?
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 02:41 PM

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#1re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 2:44pm

I, too, adore that song. It's one of my favorites.

~Joshua

My lip gloss is poppin'...

iluvtheatertrash
#2re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 2:58pm

We have to trust Steve. He knows what he's doing.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#3re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:00pm

I only like it when Patti does it on the concert, and although it's a nice song, Steve probably knows best.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

paradox_error
#4re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:18pm

I love the song, I think it is quite integral to the score, and adore the orchestrations in both recordings...

It is a real gem of a song, any other composer would be thrilled to have something of this quality...But not Steve...

TenorGod
#5re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:21pm

Sorry to be off topic (but I agree to the essentialness of the snog) but Sweeny on film would be really really scary, wonderful, but really scary

paradox_error
#6re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:22pm

No matter, anything about Sweeney is appreciated!

I agree, Sweeney would be extremely scary...In fact it never fails to scare me, and I have seen both versions so many times!

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#7re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:23pm

I like it alright, but I'm sure whatever replaces it would be better. It would need to be in the same vein (Her telling him not to rush into it), because that's what causes Sweeney to wait and sing Pretty Women.

jim coleman
#8re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:54pm

I also love WAIT. I have conducted the show around 700 performances by now, and think it is just right for that moment in the show. And whoever mentioned the orchestration is right on, it is absolutely beautiful. I undeerstand that Sam Mendes is going to direct the film.

BatonMan

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:03pm

I also really like the song but when I directed a production of "Sweeney Todd" it was one of two songs that I cut from my production, for time (the other one was the Judge's "Johanna").

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Plum
#10re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:04pm

I'd be extremely suprised if the Judge Turpin's "Johanna" made it to the film version. Eek.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#11re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:11pm

I love "Wait" and almost did it in my cabaret act - saving it for the appropriate setting.
I hope it doesn't get axe'd from the film.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

JBSinger
#12re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:29pm

I also remember that article. I think he said the reason why he wasn't satisfied with it was because it developed this almost Latin beat underneath it. It is seductive in a way and I also agree the song is essential and just fine the way it is. I actually took part in those NY Sweeney concerts and it was terrific watching Patti coo that song every night.

paradox_error
#13re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 6:54pm

I love Judge Turpin's Johanna to listen to...but to watch it is a bit much...

The score is perfect...I can't imagine it changing in any way.

paradox_error
#14re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/19/05 at 6:57pm

And as much as I love Sondheim, sometimes the over-complexity can get too much.

What is beautiful about songs like Johanna, Wait, Not While I'm Around, No One Is Alone, Losing My Mind, Good Thing Going etc is that they put a break in the pace and let the audience catch up.

Anyone who claims Sondheim doesn't know about melody hasn't listened to these songs, and many others

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#15re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/21/05 at 2:01pm

I hate Wait!!!!!!!!!!! My least favorite song in the show next to Parlor Songs. Id love to see it go.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#16re: Sweeney Todd Film
Posted: 3/21/05 at 2:05pm

Well the real question is what songs will fit into the overall directorial concept of the film. Not all of them will make the cut -- Sondheim said at WALL TO WALL that John Logan's script is brilliant, and mentioned that a number was being restored -- which I imagine is the Judge's "Joanna"

Videos