News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Next 50 Years of B'way- Page 2

The Next 50 Years of B'way

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 1:12am

hahahahaha! love... more like lust.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#26re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 1:13am

meh....call it what you will.

Akiva

BwayLeadman
#27re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:08am

2050- Dakota Fanning as Mama Rose in Gypsy

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#28re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:38am

Someone forgot to mention what happens in 2030: Broadway producers finally realize that juke-box musicals suck and that no one is really interested in them after they produce a show containing the songs of Ashlee Simpson, and the performers are caught lip-syncing to the songs, and later blame it on the orchestra. A second show featuring the songs of Britney Spears opens, it is praised by critics for its inventive use of source material to chart the rise and downfall of one of America's greatest pop divas, including the tell all book her children write.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like
Updated On: 3/24/06 at 04:38 AM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#29re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 10:49am

"2017 - Jenna Leigh Green wins a Tony for Leading Actress in a Musical. She is sure to thank her husband, Akiva, for all his love, sex, and support. "

That won't happen because she is not only good enough to win well before 2017, but she would be thanking her husband Dustin not Akiva.

2028: Disney finally opens Mulan the musical starring the daughter of Lea Salonga as the tittle role. She wins her tony award and will then revive Miss Saigon a couple years later/

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Theatreboy49
#30re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 10:52am

2026: Dakota Fanning headlines the Into the Woods revival as the witch. Hank Azaria will come back to broadway as the narrator/Mysterious man. Kristin Chenoweth will play the giant.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Yankeefan007
#31re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:01am

2035: 3 1/2 years after closing, Wicked returns with a scaled down production where the actors double as musicians. Beatrice Arthur and Elaine Stritch, fresh from their stint at the cryogenics lab, play the roles of Elphaba and Glinda, respectively. Also in the cast are Mickey Rooney as the Wizard and Ben Gazzara as Fiyero. In this production, Elphaba plays the bagpipes, Glinda plays the harpsichord, and the Wizard plays the autoharp.

2036: As to not compete with Wicked, The Producers returns to Broadway in a revival of the original production. Casting is exactly the same, with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick as Bialystock and Bloom.

Theatreboy49
#32re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:10am

Deciding to give it another go but this time with actors who get along, in 2010, La Cage is revived with Nathan Lane as Georgis and Roger Bart as Albin. (Matthew Broderick turned it down to go film the floping musical movie of Once Upon a Mattress with his wife Sarah Jessica Parker once again playing Winifred for a 2011 release)

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#33re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 2:54pm

2023: DIsney opens their seventh production on the Great White Way, Hercules. The show is cast with many of the animated films orginal stars including Lillias White, LaChanze, and Roz Ryan as the Muses...Susan Egan is back in her first originating role since Beauty and the Beast as Meg. Hercules goes on to have a $35 million dollar advance and the spectacle of it all takes business away from all other Disney Theatrix productions. Within six months The Lion King, Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid and Tarzan all close.

www.christopherviolett.com

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#34re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 7:58pm

2006-Ashley Brown wins Tony for Replacvement!
2007- Lion King closes and Hunchback gets Minskoff!
2009-Musicals of Legally Blonde and Little Mermaid will open!
2010-Eden espinosa revives BKLYN and wins 14 Tonys!
2011-Chicago, Phantom, Close!
2013-Spamalot closes and Gypsy with Susan Egan in old Merman costumes opens..Re-Designed like original
2015-American Idol becomes Spelling Bee-esque musical with audience voting
2020-Disney on Ice goes to Broadway...Princess Classics version
2021-Mary Poppins closes and Amstredam gets Pocahontas-ified
2022-John Doyle revives Aida with Missa Lehman as Amneris*U don't know her*
2026-Hairspray, Tarzan, Scoundrels,Avenue Q close.
2028-Encore revives Chicago revival
2030-Wicked closes with Mandisa as Elphaba and LaChanze as Glinda ...It gets taped and airs live on PBS...All Those tweens cry until 1/2 of them loose eyesite..parents sue Marc Platt, PBS.
2050-Rent reaches it's 30,000 performance and closes
It's heaven to me.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#35re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:14pm

2007 - All Shook Up is revived with all it's original cast members. People finally see how fun and heartfelt this show really was, and it's nominated for Best Musical and WINS.

It's nice to dream.

AshleyBrownFan123
#36re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:19pm

Oh..
2019-Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth and LaChanze auditon for Tracy in Hairspray
LaChanze flees NYC
Kristin Chenoweth leaves NYC and playes the title role in LA Carmem opera
Peters plays Amber
2040-The Wizard of Oz becomes best Musical
2042-Daphne Ruben Vega plays Mimi again and gets tangled on pole on stage.
2046-Forbidden Broadway adds act about Blue Man Group and does Broadway concert featuring all songs from all FBways. Wins 19 Tonys.
2047-Seussical gets revived by John Doyle. Wins best orchestrations.
2049-On The Record opens and closes in 2999.

AshleyBrownFan123
#37re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:24pm

2025-Dakota Fanning as Albin, Phantom, Tracy T, Elphaba, Leo Bloom, Rafiki, and Maureen J for 1 day each. Broadway becomes Fanning, NY. All posters have her in a film. 230 posters=chaos.
Dakota Fanning dies playing Rafiki and is buried with costume on so no grave-diggers open her grave. I wouldn't. She doesn't play performance artist lesbian in Rent

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#38re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:46pm

"2017 - Jenna Leigh Green wins a Tony for Leading Actress in a Musical. She is sure to thank her husband, Akiva, for all his love, sex, and support."

-- Hopefully, it's sooner than that.

2008 -- Jenna Leigh Green leaves Wicked. She comes back six months later, replacing Lisa Brescia as Elphaba.
2010 -- Kevin Cahoon finally wins a much deserved Tony award. His band goes on to win Album of the Year at the Grammy's.
2011 -- Brokeback Mountain the Musical opens at the Hilton, starring Gavin Creel and Cheyenne Jackson. It gets snubbed at the Tony's, however.
2012 -- BroadwayWorld.com is hacked. Idina Menzel is held responsible, found guilty, and is sentenced to ten years in prison.
2015 -- Shoshana Bean publicly announces that she was responsible for the 2012 Broadway World incident.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#39re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 9:13pm

2015: "Superbia opens. (Incase anybody does not know what "Superbia" is it was a musical made by "Jonathon Larson" about the future that did not do to well.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#40re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 9:26pm

2032: Wicked finally ends because some serial killer goes around and kills every tween who ever loved the show.

haha they'll all be 50!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Theatreboy49
#41re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 10:50pm

2014: Hugh Panaro and Mano Felciano headline the revival of BOUNCE and they both win tony's for their work as well as best revival. Gavin Creel is given a tony nod for reprising his original work. It runs for 3 years and closes.

2011: The La Cage Revival of Lane and Bart get replacements Mario Cantone (Albin) and Will Ferrel-impersanating Robert Goulet (Georgis). Cantone wins a replacement tony.

2009: Wayne Brady comes back to broadway to play Freddy in DRS.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#42re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:23pm

*random* For the record, an opera of Angels in America has been made.

yr ronin,
joey

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#43re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:33pm

2020: Manoel Felciano headlines as the title role in another revival of Sweeney Todd, this time not only does he play the Demon Barber, but he also tackles the role of Mrs. Lovett, Johanna, The Beadle and the Beggar Woman, while playing the guitar, flute, french horn, 10 gallion plasic pickle tub and using empty SoBe bottles as purcussion: all at the same time.

*Because he probabaly could.*

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#44re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:35pm

Since everyone has been bashing ALW, its time to present another, albiet less popular, but just as funny future timeframe

2008- Sunset Boulevard is revived with Hugh Jackman as Joe and Bernadette Peters as Norma. Only this time around AlW comes to his senses and restages it more economically. Due to this, the show is a hit and runs for 7 years.

2015- Stephen Sondheim dies, and their is mourning all across Broadway. In his honor, all shows are delayed and every single Sondheim show plays for a limited 2 month engagment. At that years tonys all musical awards are won by some Sondheim show.

2020- Hairspray finally closes when it is discovered that the producers were spraying an addictive opiate in the air of the theater so that everyone saw the show high. When people start seeign the show sober, they realize what crap it is!

2022- Rent closes under the same circumstances.

2024- Oklahoma is revived, full of exuberant young talent whose names we do not yey know, and the revival runs as long as the original production.

2026- Les Mis is revived and runs forever.
2027- Cats is revived and, despite intense criticism from the Broadway community, acheives great popularity with the populus and runs for 7 years.
2055- POTO is finally forced to close when NYC is destroyed by a nuclear weapon.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

EponineThenardier
#45re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:40pm

2015: PHantom closes due to a real life Phantom haunting the Majestic and terrorising cast members; then the culprit is finally identified as Betty Buckley.

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#46re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/24/06 at 11:42pm

La Buckley would SO do that.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#47re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:05am

lol eponinethenardier

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

EponineThenardier
#48re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:10am

If she reads this board and does do it, then I am SO taking credit for it.

Theatreboy49
#49re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:14am

"2015- Stephen Sondheim dies, and their is mourning all across Broadway. In his honor, all shows are delayed and every single Sondheim show plays for a limited 2 month engagment. At that years tonys all musical awards are won by some Sondheim show."

Beautiful tribute and i demand it happens when he dies but I think he has a lot longer than 10 more years. As far as I know he's rather healthy.

edit- in this tribute I demand that we use the ravinia cast of anyone can whistle so it sells tickets and is done well.

Updated On: 3/25/06 at 12:14 AM

Videos