News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Next 50 Years of B'way- Page 7

The Next 50 Years of B'way

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#150The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 11/18/07 at 9:36pm

2008: Phantom, Lion King, Spring Awakening close
2009: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA IS REVIVED AND WINS 15 TONY
2010: 13 opens
2011: Disney's Enchnated opens on Broadway and wins 10 Tonys
2012: Beauty and the Beast opens again

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

#151The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 11/18/07 at 11:17pm

2018--- The negotiations between Local 1 and The League are resolved.

Josh Freilich
#152The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 11/18/07 at 11:25pm

2008-The negotiations still aren't resolved, and as a result of everyone's stubbornness, the entire Broadway theatre district shuts down.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#153The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:04am

2010: That same year, the show ALADDIN* opened and closed Alladin; a comedy about an ignorant guy who finds humor in himself by putting people down. It received HORRIBLE reviews; mainly due to the fact that ucjrdude902 starred in it and just wasn't really that funny...I'm not sure what show you were referring to, but it would help make you look better if you knew how to spell; that is, before you try to put your cocky attitude to use. Kathy Griffin shakes her head in shame.
2011: AIDA is revived; this time receiving positive reviews. It goes on to win a few Tony awards, including Best Revival!
2012: Labyrinth: The Musical opens to rave reviews and goes on to win 11 Tony awards. David Bowie once again takes on the role of the Goblin King!
2013: Robin Hood: Men In Tights opens also to rave reviews and goes on to win a record breaking 13 Tony awards; beating out The Producers' record of 12.

Updated On: 11/19/07 at 02:04 AM

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#154The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:47am

I still can't believe that I read in the NY times a few days ago that Flaherty&Ahrens are to write "Rocky - the musical" with a book by Thomas Meehan. I can't believe it.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#155!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:22am

2009: The producers of "Rent" realize how stupid they were to close it on Broadway. The Adam Pascal/Anthony Rapp tour comes to the Nederlander, joined by the original cast. It wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 24 years (same as original!)
2010: "Wicked", with 26 productions around the world (San Francisco, London, LA Revival, Broadway, North America Tour #1, North America Tour #2, Toronto, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Melbourne, Chicago Revival, Seoul, Dubai, Australia Tour, Germany Tour, Japan Tour, UK Tour, Canada Tour, Tel Aviv, Mexico Tour, Stuttgart, Paris, and Rome) opens a second Broadway production at the Marquis, making it the first Broadway musical to have two productions running on Broadway at the same time. The principal cast is comprised of Amanda Harrison as Elphaba, Lucy Scherer as Glinda, Matsu****a Takeshi as The Wizard, Harriet Thorpe as Madame Morrible, Rob Mills as Fiyero, Nicole Radeschnig, Nobuhiko Kanada as Boq, and Andy Mace as Doctor Dillamond. This cast features 2 Australians, 1 German, 2 Japanese, 2 British, and 1 Austrian. It wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs forever, (well not forever, but as of 2068, no closing date has been announced, same for original, together, "Wicked" in New York alone makes around $3,000,000 a week, with a weekly worldwide gross average of $39,000,000)
2011: "Les Misérables" is revived at the Hirschfield with the 10th anniversary cast. It wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 36 years.
2012: "Avenue Q" closes, with weekly grosses of $100,000 and attendances of 40%.
2013: "Hairspray" closes with a scenario similar to "Avenue Q". (But grosses and attendance a bit higher).
2014: "Sweeney Todd" is revived with the film cast, at the Walter Kerr. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 6 years (longest running production of "Sweeney Todd")
2015: "Into the Woods" is revived, wins 13 awards breaking the record, (including Best Revival of a Musical, of course). Runs for 8 years (longest running "Into the Woods")
2016: "The Last 5 Years" finally comes to Broadway. There is much dispute on whether it will be in the Best Musical or Best Revival of a Musical. It is a Revival. It wins Best Revival of a Musical. It's grosses are amazing (right after the 2 productions of "Wicked". ) This show runs for 12 years.
2017: "Chicago" closes! FINALLY! (A run of 20 years)
2018: "Aida" is revived. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 8 years (twice as long as the original!)
2019: "Company" is revived, with Doyle staging. Although, it has a new cast. Wins Best Revival of A Musical, runs for 10 years.
2020: "The Light in the Piazza" is revived at the Vivian Beaumont. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Plays for 2 years.
2021: [title of show] (remember, Best Musical 2009) closes after 12 years on Broadway.
2022: The Phantom of the Opera closes! FINALLY! After 34 years!
2023: "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" goes into the Majestic. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs 2 years.
2024: "A Chorus Line" opens at the Lyceum. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs 34 years.
2025: "Cabaret" comes to the Majestic. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 20 years.
2026: "Gypsy" (yes, the 2008 production) closes with 77 year old Patti LuPone playing Rose for the final performance.
2027: "Ragtime" opens at the St. James. Of course it wins Best Revival of a Musical, and runs for 4 years.
2028: "Spring Awakening" finally closes, with Suri Cruise and Maddox Jolie-Pitt closing the show as Wendla and Melchior.
2029: "Jersey Boys" ends its 23 year run at the August Wilson.
2030: "West Side Story" (yes, the 2009 production), ends its longest running Broadway production ever (21 years! )
2031: "The Drowsy Chaperone" is revived at the August Wilson. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 2 years.
2032: "Little Shop of Horrors" is revived at the Eugene O'Neill. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 2 years.
2033: "Beauty and the Beast" makes its return to Broadway at the August Wilson. This production will run for 26 years. Oh, and it wins Best Revival of a Musical. This production features Sarah Menzel-Diggs as Belle and Christopher Foster-Borle as the Beast.
2034: Miss Saigon opens on Broadway featuring an all-Asian (primarily Vietnamese) cast, sung in Vietnamese, Thai, and English. It wins Best Revival of a Musical although some say that it was a Special Theatrical Event. This production runs for 20 years, it would have run longer, but the producers are finding it difficult to find Thai and Vietnamese speaking actors, and for the last 4 years of the new Miss Saigon's run, all of the actors were Thai and Vietnamese born.
2035: "The Producers" is revived on Broadway with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. It was originally intended as Mel Brooks' 110th birthday gift, but it became so successful that it ran for 12 years. It won Best Revival of a Musical.
2036: "Spamalot", after having 26 different reality casting shows in Australia, Canada, Sweden, the United States, Spain, and Niue (everyone wonders, why Niue! ) closes. Finally, the Shubert can get some good stuff!
2037: and it does! "Spelling Bee" opens there! and plays for 6 years. Of course, it wins Best Revival of a Musical
2038: The first revival of Evita, with Sarah Menzel-Diggs (the first African-American Jew to play Eva Peron) opens on Broadway. Sarah Menzel-Diggs wins her 2nd Tony Award, as well as her mother being recognized for Lifetime Achievement at the 2038 Tonys, and "Evita" wins Best Revival of a Musical, and on top of that, it runs for 8 years.
2039: The revival of "The Wedding Singer" opens. The year 2039 is designated as the worst season EVER in Broadway history, when "Wedding Singer" wins Best Revival of a Musical and "Nobody's Perfect: The Miley Cyrus Story" wins Best Musical. The Miley Cyrus show closes during Act 1 (it was the only new musical this year that didn't close during the Overture, so it had to get Best Musical), but "Wedding Singer" plays for 2 years.
2040: After the worst season ever, the best production of "Sunday in the Park with George" opens". Wins Best Revival of a Musical, and plays for 6 years. Wins 13 Tonys.
2041: The revival of "Grey Gardens" opens, and this time, it wins almost every award for musicals! Runs for 2 years!
2042: The revival of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" opens, with Jessica Foster-Borle as Millie. Sutton Foster wins Lifetime Achievement at the Tonys. New "Millie" wins Best Revival of a Musical and runs for 4 years
2043: "Legally Blonde" ends its 36-year run at the Palace with Amanda Zaks (Jerry Zaks' granddaughter) closing the show as Elle! By this time, "Legally Blonde" has 24 collectible dolls, as well as a fashion line, "Legally Blonde 2" has already been on Broadway twice, "Legally Blonde 3" played for a brief amount of time, and there have been films of "Legally Blonde: The Musical", "Legally Blonde 2: The Musical" and "Legally Blonde 3: The Musical". Chico's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter closes the show as Bruiser
2044: "The Lion King" ends its 47 year Broadway run and its 38 year Minskoff run. FINALLY!
2045: "Parade" revival opens. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Plays for 2 years.
2046: "Xanadu" (the show that was supposed to close opening night) ends its 39 year Broadway run. 71 year old Cheynne Jackson and 75 year old Kerry Butler receive a dual Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2046 Tonys.
2047: "Dreamgirls" opens a revival with Sarah Menzel-Diggs as Deena. Sarah wins her 3rd Tony and "Dreamgirls" wins Best Revival of a Musical. This production of "Dreamgirls" runs for 12 years.
2048: "Songs for a New World" comes to Broadway. Wins Best Revival of a Musical,but only runs for 1 year.
2049: "Jesus Christ Superstar" opens a revival. Wins Best Revival of a Musical. 101 year old Andrew Lloyd Webber wins Lifetime Achievement. This production of "Superstar" runs for 4 years.
2050: "Hair" opens a revival. Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 12 years.
2051: "Mary Poppins" closes after 45 years on Broadway!
2052: "Follies" revival opens. Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 4 years.
2053: CATS (The greatest musical ever) opens a revival! Of course, it wins Best Revival of a Musical, and it comes just in time for Andrew Lloyd Webber's 105th birthday. This runs forever.
2054: "A Little Night Music" opens revival. Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 2 years.
2055: "Little Women" opens a revival. Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 2 years.
2056: "My Fair Lady" opens a revival based on the movie. Runs for 18 years.
2057: "Fiddler on the Roof" opens a revival, with Sarah Menzel-Diggs as Golde in an all African-American Jewish cast (everyone in the cast is African-American and Jewish). Wins Best Revival of a Musical. Runs for 18 ( chai! ) years.
2058: "Guys and Dolls" gets a revival where everyone in the cast is:

Black
Half-Muslim
Half-Jewish
Irish-speaking
Unmarried
67 years old
Romanian
Lesbian
Female

Wins Best Revival of a Musical and runs FOREVER!

(Please do not criticize this post so much, I spent 2 hours working on it. Thanks! )

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#156!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:07am

wow, those are some long runs there!

Trekkie2
#157!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:32am

2009: Xanadu closes. The news anchor who promised to let us know when it closes forgets to tell us, so lines for tickets continue to form until 2058, when she finally remembers to tell us. The line becomes the hip theater place, so no one sees anything until 2058.

And that is the next 50 years.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#158!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:33am

I just finished reading this whole thread. I have to say some are pretty accurate & Bryan was STILL BITCHING about his cast recordings 2 years ago?

Ella_17 Profile Photo
Ella_17
#159!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:04am

ha. This post is hilarious

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#160!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:32am

This was always my favorite thread

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#161!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:50am

lol

Brave Sir Robin2
#162!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 12:49pm

I missed this thread.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Brave Sir Robin2
#163!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:39pm

Okay, he we go:
2010: PHANTOM closes
2015: A revival of RAGTIME is directed by Bartlett Sher at the Mark Hellinger Theatre, now run by the Lincoln Center. It wins 5 Tony Awards including Best Revival, Best Featured Actress (Heather Headly), Best Orchestrations, Best Direction, and Best Scenic Design (Bob Crowley)
2017: A revival of KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN opens on Broadway after a run at Encores! Jane Krakowski wins a Tony for playing Aurora and Neil Patrick Harris wins a Tony for playing Molina, bringing the shows total to 7 wins and 10 nominations.
2094: WICKED finally closes.

Timmer
#164!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:57pm

2025: "Harmony" finally makes it to Broadway. It runs six months.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#165!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:22pm

May 21, 2011:
Susan Haskins murders Michael Riedel, live on TheaterTalk.

May 24, 2011:
Michael Riedel regenerates.

2017:
Matt Windham is made chief drama critic of the New York Times, with John Simon as co-chief.

2020:
Mark Rylance wins Best Leading Actor in a Play for his memorable portrayal of Tom Stoppard in Tom Stoppard's TOM STOPPARD. For his speech, he recites the complete lyrics of MISS SAIGON.

October 6, 2029, 7:59 PM:
All theaters on Broadway are now filled with long-running shows. In an attempt to make space for a gender-switch revival of GYPSY (starring Arthur Laurents), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA closes. Due to unfortunate scheduling choices, the show closes two minutes before eclipsing THE FANTASTICK's record as Longest Running Musical of All Time.

October 7, 2029:
Andrew Lloyd Webber dies in his sleep.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#166!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 4:13pm

brave sir robin your kiss of the spiderwoman cannot happen because earlier i stated that catherine zeta jones will be aurora in like 2012 (around that time frame) and wins a tony. Perhaps Jane can replace her?

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Brave Sir Robin2
#167!
Posted: 6/20/08 at 4:51pm

That works, but Cathy probably will never do Broadway.

SgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
#168The Years
Posted: 6/20/08 at 5:20pm

2008: Shrek the Musical wins Best Musical. West Side Story wins Best Revival.
2009: Beauty and the Beast replaces Lil Mermaid. Wins Best Revival.
2010: Conservatives close Spring Awakening.
2011: Hair is revived and wins Best Revival.
2012: Every person in the world has seen Wicked and it closes.
2013: Teenagers demand Wicked revival; assault producers. Stephen Schwartz kills self from guilt
2014: Rent is revived. AIDS, due to cure being found, is replaced with strep throat.
2015: Patti LuPone stars as self in a musical about her life. Wins every Tony besides Best Leading Actor.
2016: Into the Woods is revived. Wins Best Revival.
2017: Sweeney Todd Sequel is created. Toby goes on to continue Sweeney's work. Wins Pulitzer and every Tony possible, smashing The LuPone story's record. Patti kills Sondheim.
2018: Lethal Weapon musical is brought to Broadway.
2019: Disney creates Pirates of the Carribean Musical.
2020: Forrest Gump is brought to Broadway, Cheyanne Jackson plays the lead.
2021: Kelli O'Hara finally wins Tony for leading in a Carousel revival.
2022: Mel Brooks brings Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs to Broadway. Both flop.
2023: Titanic is revived. Closing at intermission.
2024: Mario Lopez plays Louise in Gypsy revival revival. Takes Strip scene too far.
2025: Spielberg creates and E.T. show. It wins Best Scenic Design.

That's all I got for now!

The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!

IsolatingAge
#169The Years
Posted: 6/20/08 at 8:49pm

2015- Jack's Blackouts, a two act play that I started writing last year, and will continue to perfect for a few more years, opens on Broadway starring Christian Bale (Yes, Batman... And Bateman.) in the title role. Wins the Tony for Best Play and runs for a few years.

You must think I'm still sixteen. I dropped out of high school for a reason. And I don't care if you're pretty. I'm not admitting you are right. My soul is not a stage. I won't pretend I'm anything I'm not
Updated On: 6/20/08 at 08:49 PM

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#170The Years
Posted: 6/21/08 at 12:37am

2017: Luponatic finally becomes a Broadway Legend on BWW, and not by posting every five seconds, but only when he had something relevant to say

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#171The Years
Posted: 6/21/08 at 7:33am

2019: A revised version of Children of Eden is finally staged on Broadway, and it's score is loved by all critics and audience. Unfortunately, as the piece is dated and only includes a few new numbers, Schwartz is not eligible for a Tony, much to his pissy-ness.
2021: Rent 2 - Angel's Revenge, written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, opens and closes on Broadway.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.
Updated On: 6/21/08 at 07:33 AM

Videos