News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Next 50 Years of B'way- Page 3

The Next 50 Years of B'way

TheEnchantedHunter
#50re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:08am

Please. Sondheim has been among the most awarded, lionized, feted, anthologized, analyzed, honored, critiqued, and produced composers in American history and he lived to see it in his lifetime. Enough already.

Allison MacKenzie
Peyton Place, New Hampshire

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#51re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:24am

And at Sondheim's funeral TheEnchantedHunter is asked to read the eulogy...

LiLMuNkEe22 Profile Photo
LiLMuNkEe22
#52re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/25/06 at 3:18am

i dont usually come onto this message board... but im going to be checking up on this one quite frequently.

you all were too too funny.

re: The Next 50 Years of B'way

some things are meant to be...

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#53re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/26/06 at 6:32pm

-bump-

this thread is too fun to kill off yet.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#54re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/27/06 at 11:15am

2009: Dirty Dancing debuts on Broadway. It's a smash hit with critics, but audiences complain that Patrick Swayze isn't in it.

2010: The new movie version of A Chorus Line debuts to great reviews. It's directed & choreographed by Rob Marshall. Catherine Zeta-Jones plays Sheila, Wayne Brady as Richie, & Britney Spears cameos as a reject dancer. It wins 10 Oscars and is tagged as the best movie musical ever made.

2012: Phantom reaches 10,000 performances and says it'll still be around for another 10,000.

2016: Disney overtakes Broadway, with 12 shows currently playing, Broadway is renamed Disneyway. It's current shows: Lion King, Tarzan, Mary Poppins, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Aladdin, Huntchback, Bambi, Finding Nemo, Snow White(play), Beauty & the Beast(revival), Aida(revival).

2021: The revival of A Chorus Line surpasses the original version. But is still 8,000 performances short of beating Phantom, which is still running.

2026: The jukebox musical of NSYNC debuts. It's a major flop and is considered the worst musical in 50 years.

2027: The jukebox musical about Britney Spears debuts. It's a major flop and is considered the worst musical since NSYNC.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#55re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:14pm

2007 : Rebecca Pitcher finally leaves Phantom and Jennifer Hope Wills becomes the full time Christine!

2009 : Aida is revived!

2016: The Woman in White is revived starring Lisa Brescia as Marian, Me as Laura hehe and my friend as Anne Catherick! haha yeah right

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#56re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:33pm

2020:The Light in the Piazza is revived staring Audra McDonald as Margaret Johnson and an unknown named Lenay Davis as Clara...It is a critical and financial success and goes on to win the Best Revival Tony (to redeem the best Musical Tony lost in 2005).

www.christopherviolett.com

TheEnchantedHunter
#57re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 3/28/06 at 12:10am

"And at Sondheim's funeral TheEnchantedHunter is asked to read the eulogy..."

But performs a Jerry Herman song instead.

Tootie 'The Most Horrible' Smith
ST. Louis, MO

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#58re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 4/4/06 at 10:59pm

I love this thread. It brings be joy when I am sad.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#59re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 4/4/06 at 11:03pm

Not to take away from this thread...but Angels in America has ALREADY been made into an opera (it debuted a year ago in Paris with headliners Barbara Hendricks and Julia Migenes)

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#60re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 4/4/06 at 11:22pm

2007 - At one performance of POTO, the chandelier starts falling.

2009 - ALW dies and the shows by him that deserved to get runs over here, or didn't do well over here, are revived.

2014 - The aforementioned chandelier that started in 2007 is still falling. Paris Hilton comes to Broadway to play Johanna in SWEENEY TODD and wears a new costume: A low cut, sparkly and high-hemmed skirt. With the thong showing.

2024 - WICKED starts playing matinees on all days, including Mondays as an addition to the night shows. It beats POTO as longest running within about 7 years afterward. Speaking of POTO, that chandelier that was falling in 2007 is still falling. It's about a quarter on it's way to the stage floor.

290555 (Yes, that year.) - That chandelier from 2007 is STILL falling. Betty Buckley snaps the wire and puts it out of it's misery for good.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 4/4/06 at 11:22 PM

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#61re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 9:16pm

i neede to bring back this funny thread... Read on!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#62re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 9:26pm

2072: Ave. Q. is revived and lyrics are changed to display the way that the original writers feel about the current President; Mark Bush, W's great grandson, a Republican who goes to war with Iraq due to his idolization of his great grandfather.

www.christopherviolett.com

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#63re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 9:33pm

2073: Carol Channing finally dies. The St. James theatre is subsequently named after her, where THE PRODUCERS is still running.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

JustABroadwaybaby2
#64re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:34pm

A drowsy-like show will appear in 80 years, commenting on today's theater.
Harry Potter- the musical will debut in London. it gets tomatoes (or whatever they use there) thrown at them.
Many fantasy novels will be musicals. Andrew lloyd Webber will be put to rest, or stabbed.
Rent will be on broadway still, so will phantom, and wicked, but anyone who was ever involved will be dead.
In regards to wicked, it will stay on broadway long enough for the new teens to be like "What's the Wizard of Oz?
And mama Mia will continue to stand, to tourist's delight.
the tonys will have to create an award category called "Best revival of a revival of a revivial"
A few new musicals will open, win tonys, some new musical mgiht be one of the best musicals ever.
LITP will close in about 5 years. Edit sorry, I meant they would revive it and it would close in 5 years
All disney musicals will still stay there,
And, terribly, some musicals will be made into REALITY TV SHOWS!
AH
THE HORROR!
SAVE US!

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!
Updated On: 6/2/06 at 10:34 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#65re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:38pm

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA is closing this summer...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Josh Freilich
#66re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/2/06 at 11:52pm

2800 - All live instruments in a pit is banned, and all we will be forced to hear is a synthesizer.

3500- I'll already be dead, so thank God I won't be there to see what happens to Broadway as we know it.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

FosseBoi
#67re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/3/06 at 1:06am

"2010: The new movie version of A Chorus Line debuts to great reviews. It's directed & choreographed by Rob Marshall. Catherine Zeta-Jones plays Sheila, Wayne Brady as Richie, & Britney Spears cameos as a reject dancer. It wins 10 Oscars and is tagged as the best movie musical ever made."

And...Chip Byars is awarded the Oscar for "Best Performance Of A Female Played By An Actor" for his reprised role of Cassie(which he played on Broadway). He also does this concept in RENT as Mimi and becomes the final Mimi. He goes on to be called "The Bob Fosse Of Our Time".

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#68re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/3/06 at 3:50am

2043 After dozens of revivals, someone finally figures out how to turn a profit on "Mack and Mabel."

2053 on the fiftieth anniversary of "Wicked" a small gathering of the surviving Idinites, former teenagers who worshipd a woman who had a role in the original production, gather in front of the Kraft Foods-Gershwin Theater to shout out "WICKED IS THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE WORLD AND IDINA ISSSSSS A GGGGGOOOOOOOODDDDDESSSSS" to the crowds who are entering the theater to see that evenings wrestling bouts.

Nobody has any idea what they are saying because it was all said in capital letters and spelled wrong.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

AshleyBrownFan123
#69re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:32pm

2006: Hot Feet and Tarzan close. Grinch plays Hilton and Tommy Tune's Dr. Dolittle plays the Rodgers, both eligible for Best Musical

2007: Pirate Queen plays the Hilton as Legally Blonde takes the Palace where it runs for 5 years. Pirate Queen is taped on PBS and closes after no Tony wins (7 nods, though). Ashley Brown wins Best Actress at the Tonys, while Poppins wins 4 other awards, including Best Musical. Raul Esparza, Daphne Ruben Vega, and Michael Berrese win Tonys, too.

2008: Phantom closes after being soooooooo popular in Vegas and losing money in New York. Light in the Piazza returns with the closing cast as the origionators for the unlimited engagement.

2011: Les Miserables closes after a revival. Cats comes back, minus John Napier. Closes at the Broadhurst.

2012: Lion King closes as the 5th longest running musical. Beauty and the Beast still runs!

2015: Rent, Chicago, and Avenue Q actually close!

2025: Wicked is the second longest running show. it closes a week later. Sweeny Todd closes, as does Color Purple. Beauty and the Beast gets better sets and costumes from the Palace and becomes the longest running show EVER!!!!!

Updated On: 6/27/06 at 01:32 PM

AshleyBrownFan123
#70re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:37pm

Oh, and The Producers closes in 2007 and Mame decides to give Broadway a try! Wins 2 Tonys including Best revival and Best Sets!

vmlinnie
#71re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:06pm

2014: Elton John gets surgery to turn himself back into a twelve year old boy so that he can play Michael in Billy Elliot on Broadway. It's so him, he IS Michael. Except for that he can't sing Expressing yourself for his life, even though he wrote it and I like his work overall.

By the way, Broadway as we know it has evolved over the past, what, 100 years? 120? How do we know whether this is the beginning or the end? Will there be another 100 years? I'm worried. There are not as many people intersted in being the future broadway today than there were 20 or 30 years ago.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

AshleyBrownFan123
#72re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:22pm

2007: grey gardens closes in a week!

AshleyBrownFan123
#73re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/28/06 at 2:38pm

2007: Aida re-opens with Heather, Sherie, and Will!

LifeoftheParty227 Profile Photo
LifeoftheParty227
#74re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
Posted: 6/28/06 at 3:38pm

2040 - Biggest stars on Broadway and Film:
Suri Cruise and Shiloh Pitt (Both grow in popularity and are named most beautiful by People Magazine)
Updated On: 6/28/06 at 03:38 PM

Videos