pixeltracker

Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)

Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)

Holliwoodblonde Profile Photo
Holliwoodblonde
#0Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:54pm

Haha I know the title's kind-of weird...what showtune *isn't* danceable...but anyways, I have a meeting with the DJ person tomorow and I despise rap...so I'm thinking of songs I want him to play...and as much as I'd love to play my chorus line cast recording and be done with it...grinding to the montage just wouldn't work lol...So what would you guys suggest? The only thing I could think of is "Today 4 U" The theme is "backstage at a drag show" (and its copyrighted hehe) if that helps any.

Thanks so much!! <33

http://avdagen.blogspot.com/

FosseBoi
#1re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:45pm

That is SUCH an AWSOME theme! haha! I wish I could help, but I cant think of anything... Cher and Modonna(they were both on bway..I think...I know Cher was)

hehe! Good luck!Happy Bday!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:45pm

Wild Wild Party from Lippa's?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#3re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:47pm

Time Wrap- Rocky Horror
You Can't Stop the Beat- Hairspray
La Vie Boheme (B?)- Rent

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:50pm

Almost anything from MAMMA MIA!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

UsherMJD
#5re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:55pm

Well I'm not sure if your example is based on the techno/dance club feel of the song, or the "dragshow" theme.

I'm not too sure how many other showtunes have that type of musical style. . . but if its the theme you're going for, I'd say that a few songs from the Rocky Horror Show are danceable. That is to say . . . more like swing dancing than night club dancing.

Some powerful upbeat songs are "Sensation" from TOMMY or even pinball wizard (not that those songs fit ur theme), "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray is good. . . That's a hard request there. . . you could always take ANY song and add a techno beat to the background to turn it into a dance mix. (ask the DJ if he/she knows how to do that kinda thing)

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#6re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:24pm

Linda Eder has a Dance remix of "I Am What I Am" out. I prefer her "Vienna" dance remixes, though. Hedwig and the Angry Inch also has a dnace remix single. And let's not forget Harajuku - but their dance mixes are awful.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#7re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:25pm

you can all do the time warp!!!!!!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

musicnmath
#8re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:36pm

Vienna dance remix -- that sounds...interesting.

I like this thread, because I have those moments that I want to dance around, but I want to do it with showtunes (as my friends simultaneously roll their eyes). Most of them have several songs that could work...they're my guilty pleasure shows :)

- Footloose (the *musical*) love it.
- Hairspray (You can pull some others besides "You Can't Stop the Beat".)
- Starlight Express
- Zanna Don't
- Tommy
- Rocky
- When Pigs Fly (staying with the theme :) )
- Disney's Hercules movie :)
- Joseph has a megamix...but I'm not sure that's what you're going for re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)

Musicals lose some of their fun if others are unfamiliar with them, but that's for you to figure out :)

The Queer Eye Boys have a mix out that could also work quite nicely :)

marlomanners
#9re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 7:37pm

One Night Only from Dreamgirls.

www.isawearthlings.com

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#10re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 7:57pm

Hedwig.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#11re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:03pm

Get Eartha Kitt's, "I'm still Here" CD. It features 'Cha Cha Heels' a favorite amongst drag queens. Also, another suggestion may be Ethel Merman's disco album (name, anyone?). Definitely would set the mood for "backstage at a drag show."

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#12re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:03pm

Grease, Movin Out, all the big rock or pseudo-rock `musicals. Hairspray's GREAT for that stuff. hmm Ill get back to you...

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#13re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:07pm

If you like Anthony Rapp's music.."Out Out Damn Spot" and "Goodbye" are GREAT!
That is such a great idea you have for your sweet 16! Lucky you!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Derek
#14re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:12pm

for some reason im hearing "One Night Only" from Dreamgirls lol

SeptemberKel
#15re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:23pm

You might be able to use "Shakalaka,Baby" from Bombay Dreams. It's the one song from my Broadway Mix that always makes me groove in my driver's seat. Not too sure I'd recommend anything else from that show, though...

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Updated On: 3/28/05 at 08:23 PM

Holliwoodblonde
#16re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 9:13pm

zippy- I was at a rocky horror themed sweet 16 about a month ago...we tried to time warp...didn't work...yay! Everyone has such good ideas!!!! It's taken sooo long to settle on the theme...we've been through every idea possible 'cause I have to be a pain in the ass and not go with the cliche'd broadway theme. With the playbills on the table and stuff...gives me hives...Merman has a techno album?! Niccceee..I don't care so much about the theme as I do having songs that represent me and what I like. We're giving out footballs as a favor!! (my mom flipped out lol) I love this site!! You've all helped so much!

Updated On: 3/28/05 at 09:13 PM

noahrp3
#17re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 9:36pm

Hairsparay
Footloose!!! (awesome)
tommy
the wiz (ease on down the road)

Bwaybaby109
#18re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:23pm

i know it's lame....but everyone loves GREASE songs at parties...I sure do!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Holliwoodblonde
#19re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
Posted: 3/30/05 at 10:17am

Hey, so we went to the place yesterday (omg it's going to be insane...my gayspiration Sean and I are going to turn that place upside down.) Anyways, the DJ was shm*cky...So I was wondering if anyone knows a DJ in the NY area (I'm on Long Island) who doesn't think that he's g-d's gift to earth?? hehe thanks so much for all of your help!!

Videos