Antonio Banderas

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#0Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:33pm

What shows was he in?

(btw, sp? on his last name)

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#1re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:34pm

well, he did the revival of NINE. i didn't see it, but banderas rocks. love him in EVITA.

RIP glebby <3

MargoChanning
#2re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:35pm

Nine.

That's it (as far as New York is concerned). I believe he did some plays and musicals in school in Spain before he got into the movies.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/22/05 at 09:35 PM

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#3re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:35pm

I dunno, but check www.ibdb.com

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#4re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:36pm

I saw him twice in NINE and he was fine!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#5re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:37pm

thanks all!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#6re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:37pm

He is also on the DVD 'Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration'

Love him on the 'Nine' RCR.

But I loathed his Che in the film of Evita
He couldn't handle the score.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

UsherMJD
#7re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:41pm

He did star in Nine, and from what I've heard, Maury Yeston (who wrote Nine) is writing a brand new musical just for Banderas to star in. I'm not sure about the other details, but I remember hearing him say that in an interview.

(I didn't get to see him in Nine, I saw John Stamos instead. But he was very good.)

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:53pm

Apparently, he's going to star in the forthcoming "Death Takes a Holiday", based on a 1934 film in which Death goes on vacation and hilarity ensues. I've never seen it.

brdlwyr
#9re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:58pm

He was inspirational in Nine. I liked his Che.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#10re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:59pm

so im guessing that he really was singing in the end of Shrek 2?
if so hes got a good belt..

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#11re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 10:55pm

What was wrong with Antonio Banderas in EVITA? I thought he was a lot better than that Mandy person.

Allie
#12re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 10:57pm

I also liked him in Evita!

StickToPriest
#13re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:01pm

"thought he was a lot better than that Mandy person."

Are you trying to upset me?!?

bronxboundexpress
#14re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:06pm

lol Why do you think the Mandy guy is better than Antonio Banderas? I felt more of a rough-rock sound from Antonio Banderas that I felt was right for the music where the Mandy guy just sang it musical theatre style through his nose like everything he sings.

StickToPriest
#15re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:09pm

Okay.
That's it.
You wanna take this outside?
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

brdlwyr
#16re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:15pm

That is funny.

I love Mandy's Che. I saw the recent tour and enjoyed it.

bronxboundexpress
#17re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:20pm

Ok. The gentleman's name Mandy Patinkin and he is God. Now, tell me! What is your comparison of him vs. Antonio Banderas?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#18re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:30pm

Have only seen clips of Mandy as Che, doing "Oh What a Circus" and "A New Argentina", but have heard him do the whole score on the recording. For me, he just has a stronger feel for the score. He grasps every note and squeezes every bit of juice he can out of it. And from the clips he came off as this observer throughout the entire story who knows the truth and rebels and has this chip on his shoulder the entire way through. IN the movie Antonio just looked like he was looming in the shadows and acted as though he was, like, the puppet master to Madonna's Eva Peron. It just never felt like it worked for me. Dunno about Priest though. I guess it would have worked out better if they portrayed Evita as less of a "Saint" and more of a b**** who sleeps her way to the top as she is portrayed in the show.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

bronxboundexpress
#19re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:36pm

"For me, he just has a stronger feel for the score. He grasps every note and squeezes every bit of juice he can out of it."

huh? All I hear is grey. Not being mean sorry. This is just the reason why I stoped studying acting in college. Too many shades of grey where you can't tell what people are really saying and how much is bull****.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#20re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:39pm

In plain english bronxboundexpress: Mandy sings the f***ing s*** out of the score. Antonio sounded weak to me. That clear?

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 1/22/05 at 11:39 PM

StickToPriest
#21re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:44pm

While Antonio certainly looked the part, he just couldn't handle the score.
His acting was decnet enough, but his voice just didn't cut it.
I really wanted to like him, and this is the only thing in which I found a performance of his to be very poor.

Mandy's voice falls perfectly into the Che's range and his voice envelopes the role and wrings out a full character while deilvering a lush tone and he is perfect for the role. And, yes, ad wickedfan says, He sang the **** out of the score.

Antonio is a fine actor in his own right.
Mandy Patinkin is a musical theatre legend and did things with the role/score that Antonio could have only dreamed of doing.

I <3 NY Profile Photo
I <3 NY
#22re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 6/18/05 at 1:16am

Mandy Patinkin

::amazingness::

riv
#23re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 6/18/05 at 10:53am

melissa errico fan: "Apparently, he's going to star in the forthcoming "Death Takes a Holiday", based on a 1934 film in which Death goes on vacation and hilarity ensues. I've never seen it."

Yes, this is the Maury Yeston project I heard about last year. I wouldn't say hilarity ensues. It's more a supernatural fantasy rather than a comedy. But if Yeston is doing it, I'm sure it won't be cheapened and ruined by inappropriate laughs and humor the way the film remake, "Meet Joe Black," destroyed the original's intent.

By the way, Death Takes A Holiday (La Morte in Vacanza) was originally a play by an Italian, Alberto Casella. It was done on Broadway briefly in 1929.
Updated On: 6/18/05 at 10:53 AM

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#24re: Antonio Banderas
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:01am

sort of a tangent, but for those of you who are mandy pitinkin fans, check out sunday in the park with george with bernadette peters, hes excellent in that. its on DVD now. and those of you who didnt like him in EVITA might change your opinion of him...

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

Videos