pixeltracker

most touching moments in the theatre

most touching moments in the theatre

musicalsinger20
#0most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:25pm

Name a show and scene that really inspired or touched you. This could be a show that you have seen or performed in. How did it touch you or inspired you.
The song FOR GOOD from Wicked was so beautiful and it almost made me cry when I watched it on the PBS American Musical series.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#1re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:30pm

When I was in a production of 42nd Street, I had to hold back tears every night during "The Lullaby of Broadway". Especially right after Peggy shouts, "I'll do it!" and the crescendo happens...
The unity of that moment astounds me. I think it's one of the most beautiful moments I've ever experienced in the theatre. Both seeing it and performing it choked me up.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:31pm

Also the songs "Anytime" and "14 Dwight Ave Natick Massachusetts" in Elegies: A Song Cycle.

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#3re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:34pm

touching moments in musicals
The End of Phantom.
And "All the wasted time" in Parade

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Phantom Chicken Profile Photo
Phantom Chicken
#4re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:34pm

I Know Where I've Been - Hairspray

Actually, Breeze Off the River/You Walk With Me - The Full Monty

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

BEKA531
#5re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:36pm

rent - ALL OF IT. i start crying after i'll cover you reprise and don't stop till it's over. but if i have to be specific, i'll say the finale.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#6re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:37pm

I got misty-eyed during Not For the Life of Me from TMM. I could just really relate to her drive to get out of her small town and make a new and exciting life for herself. I know it sounds like a pretty lame moment to be moved by, but I just have so much admiration for people who follow their dreams.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

UsherMJD
#7re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:38pm

I second that! in regards to 42nd street. That is the best scene in musical theater.

However, one of my favorites is basically the last two scenes of "Man of La Mancha" When Aldonza comes and convinces Alonzo that he really is Don Quixote and sings Dulcinea and Impossible dream to him, where he then comes back to life saying "What is sickness to the body of a Knight errant? . . ." Then later when Cervantes leaves the dungeon and all of the prisoners sing back to him The Impossible Dream. That truely made me cry.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#8re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:43pm

MRS. LOVETT (Clutching the BEGGAR WOMAN 's wrists): No! Don't touch her!

TODD (Pushing her to the oven doors and leaning down to pick up the BEGGAR WOMAN) : What is the matter with you? It's only some meddling old beggar — (MRS. LOVETT opens the oven doors and the light from the fire illuminates the BEGGAR WOMAN 's face. A chord of music as TODD realizes who she is) Oh no, Oh God . . . "Don't I know you?" she said . . . (Looks up) You knew she lived. From the first moment that I walked into your shop you knew my Lucy lived!

MRS. LOVETT: I was only thinking of you!

TODD (Looking down again, sings): Lucy. . .

MRS. LOVETT: Your Lucy! A crazy hag picking bones and rotten spuds out of alley ash-cans! Would you have wanted to know that was all that was left of her?

TODD (Slowly looking up): You lied to me.

MRS. LOVETT (Sings): No, no, not lied at all. No, I never lied.

TODD ( To the BEGGAR WOMAN): Lucy...

MRS. LOVETT: Said she took the poison — she did — Never said that she died — Poor thing, She lived —

TODD: I've come home again . . .

MRS. LOVETT: But it left her weak in the head, All she did for months was just lie there in bed —

TODD: Lucy. . .

MRS. LOVETT: Should've been in hospital, Wound up in Bedlam instead, Poor thing!

TODD: Oh, my God . . .

MRS. LOVETT: Better you should think she was dead. Yes, I lied 'cos I love you!

TODD: Lucy...

MRS. LOVETT: I'd be twice the wife she was! I love you!

TODD: What have I done?...

MRS. LOVETT: Could that thing have cared for you Like me?

(TODD rises, soft and smiling; takes a step away in panic. Waltz music starts)

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#9re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:48pm

The end of Little Women. Its just the perfect ending to the perfect story.

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

RumTumTugger22
#10re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:55pm

Yeah Most definately I'll Cover You Reprise. That's such a great song

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Thesbijean
#11re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:57pm

God, the Act I finale and Act II finale of Children of Eden. When I was in it, we were in tears every performance. Also, when I did Les Mis. and when I have seen it, Bring Him Home and the Finale brought me to tears every ngiht

RumTumTugger22
#12re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:03pm

the finale of both acts always makes me cry. Bring him home not so much. I sort of find that song annoying.

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#13re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:04pm

the thing that makes i'll cover you reprise so touching is that if you've seen it with krystal l. washington, you know that she is practically bawling as she sings. i've seen her in it twice and she has tears streaming down her face...it makes the number all the more emotional.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#14re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:06pm

The Boy From Oz -- Once Before I Go. The lyrics are such that I think of someone close to me I lost a year ago. That plus Hugh Jackman's delivery was enough to move me to tears.

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#15re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:07pm

"Still" from Titanic...

"You Are My Home" from The Scarlett Pimpernell...

"You Walk With Me" from The Full Monty...

"I Am What I Am" from La Cage.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#16re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:13pm

Fine Fine Line
Fantasies Come True
When Rod realizes it is a dream.
Purpose
Kate on The Empire State Building Updated On: 1/30/05 at 02:13 PM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#17re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:15pm

"The Story Goes On" from Baby gets me too...

"My Brother Lived In San Francisco" from Elegies for Angels, Punks, and Raging Queens

the end of "Falsettoland"

"Tom" in Hello, Again

"Fran and Janie" and "Diary of a Homecoming Queen" and even "The Kid Inside" from Is There Life After High School?

the end of John and Jen

"I Promise You a Happy Ending" in Mack and Mabel... especially when Mack admits he's always loved Mabel

basically all of Merrily We Roll Along... especially Good Thing Going, Not a Day Goes By, and Our Time

"All The Wasted Time" in Parade

"Losing My Mind" in Follies

the end of Bare

"You Should be Loved" - Side Show- OH MAN, it gets me every time

the very end of The Last 5 Years

"New Words" from In The Beginning

"Why" from Tick Tick Boom

but truly, TRULY nothing beats that moment from 42nd Street...

Chrysanthemum62001
#18re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:16pm

Touching in a heart broken way... every scene in The Normal Heart.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#19re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:36pm

I agree when Aldonza sings Impossible Dreams in Man of la Mancha

For Good- Wicked
Finale/You're Eyes- RENT
And I know this sounds stupid but listening to the part where Audrey dies and sings a reprise of Somewhere That's Green really got to me.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#20re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:50pm

pretty much all or rent especially i'll cover you reprise. Also i haven't seen it but i read the Normal Heart and wow!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#21re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:50pm

Rent - The straight line the cast makes at the start of the second act to sing "seasons of love"...there is something about that moment gives me chills each and every time i see it.

Wicked - elphaba's flight at the end of act I and, of course, "for good". such a great moment.

The Boy From Oz - When Hugh Jackman sang "once before I go"...got me everytime.

Aida - at the end, when the box closes in on aida and radames and then they appear to recognize each other from a previous life.

all recent, but all great!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#22re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:57pm

I can't pick a moment IN a show tht was the most touching, but when I saw Aida (one of many times) I saw a Wendesday matinee with Saycon Sengbloh as Aida. She was fantastic in the role, it was my second time seeing her. During curtain call she came out and was crying and was so happy. I had no idea why, but everyone was hugging her and she just had this grateful look on her face. I later found out at the stage door from her that it was her last performance as Aida. She was leaving to do The Color Purple.

It was just so nice to see someone - in the cast - so touched by the work and the cast. It was a great experience.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

ponine24601
#23re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:57pm

AIDA-I Know the Truth. I feel SOO bad for Amneris. And definitely the end as well. God. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

RENT: Your Eyes. It makes me cry. You just finally get to see all the emotions that Roger was holding inside of him. The 'MIIMMIIII' gets me every time.

Phantom: 'All I Ask of You (reprise)' and the end. waaaaaay too sad. It's just as sad in the movie as it is on broadway.

Little Women: I have no clue what this song is called. All i know is that Maureen McGovern sings it. There was a clip on the opening night video on Broadway.com and i was crying just from that.

Wicked: The Melting Scene and For Good....for obvious reasons.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Sporti2005
#24re: most touching moments in the theatre
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:02pm

"goodbye love" in RENT along with, of course, "i'll cover you" reprise

the end of once on this island when ti moune is singing "oh gods, oh gods," then when the storytellers sing "oh ti moune" and the gods bury her.

les miz "a little fall of rain" gets me every time

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

Videos