pixeltracker

ushering/front of the house jobs

ushering/front of the house jobs

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#0ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/11/05 at 11:17am

Does anyone know how exactly you go about getting one? The only real information that I have is that they are represented by local 306 division of the IASTE. When I tried to look up their individual website, it's unavailable. I see so many young people in the theaters doing those jobs and am very interested in how they got there. If anyone has any info, I'd appriciate it - thanks!

#1re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:35pm

If you're in NYC you might want to inquire at Jazz at Lincoln Center for any open Usher/Front of House positions at F. P. Rose Hall.
Jazz at Lincoln Center

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#2re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:19pm

You have to apply through the theatre organization that owns the theatres - Jujamcyn, Shuberts, Nederlanders, Disney. It's not easy to get the job. The union part isn't an issue--if you get hired, you join the union at any time, and you have a trial period that you can use before joining.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#3re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:23pm

I made friends with an engineer who knew someone at Jujamcyn and recommended me for the job. But jrb is right: you have to apply through the organizations. After 30 performances, you have to join the union.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#4re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 7:01pm

I ushered a couple times on the weekends when the Signature Theatre was doing "The Baltimore Waltz". They did an interview at the theatre before the show started. It's a great way to see a show for free.

ashley0139
#5re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:30pm

Wait- for ushering or working at a theatre you get to join the union (I assume this means equity???) Can someone explain?!?!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

UsherMJD
#6re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:37pm

You get to join the Usher's union. . . not the Actors union. (AEA)

I usher at some regional theaters in RI, and its a voulenteer position. But any experience you get like that will probably help your chances of getting hired on Broadway Updated On: 1/22/05 at 09:37 PM

brdlwyr
#7Unions
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:51pm

Unions are essential to allowing those in the arts, crafts and trades to have decent working conditions and fair wages. Before you support a large scale production - check to see if is a union production.

capnkidd
#8re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:52pm

To clarify the union-IATSE-International Alliance of Theatrical & Stage Employees

ashley0139
#9re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 10:15pm

Lol. Ok that makes a WHOLE lot more sense.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#10re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 10:17pm

I was told actually last night that to join the ushers union on bway, it is $300 to work at a bway shubert house.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#11re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:13pm

Ushers have thier own union?? Huh...it seems so obvious now, but I never thought about it before....sorry...kinda random but I guess you learn something new everyday..

Was that a fat joke?

ghostlight2
#12re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:22pm

It isn't exactly their OWN union-it's part of a much larger one(international,in fact),including stagehands,make-up,wigs,etc.Most of the older ushers(not many left)were from Westie families.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#13re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/23/05 at 1:45am

It's about $300 to join the union and then you have your dues.

Off-Broadway and the non-profits on Broadway (Roundabout) have volunteer ushering.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#14re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 1/23/05 at 12:11pm

You get paid if you are working in a professional house. If you are working a non profit production-as I did-you get the pleasure of seeing an excellent show!

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#15re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 2/24/05 at 1:25pm

Bump

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#16re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 2/24/05 at 1:27pm

So...I just called Nederlander productions, figuring since they own so may of the major broadway theatres, I would be able to ask about applying for ushering jobs. The woman on the phone said you have to be part of the union first, but that she couldn't help me with information on getting into the union itself. Anybody know where I go from here?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 2/24/05 at 1:32pm

Getting to be an Usher is not an easy task - especially on Broadway. I used to be good friends with the president when I worked with the Shuberts, but I don't have her contact info anymore. Go directly to the union - look the address up in the phone book, or next time you're at a show, ask them where the office is. Surely it's somewhere in the midtown area. But remember - it's really really hard to get into Ushering. Most of those old women have been doing it for years and get very cutthroat about it and don't like newcomers - they're VERY strange that way. If you do decide to go find the office, be warned that you will have to work all 8 performances, unless that make you a sub or floater in the beginning. That's why I had to stop working with the Shuberts - the all 8 performances + full time school wasn't working. Also, beginng ushers get paid about $40 per performance, plus a few extra dollars in cash if you have inserts.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

mirramar
#18re: ushering/front of the house jobs
Posted: 2/24/05 at 2:16pm

http://www.playbill.com/jobs/find/

sometimes they list front of house jobs.

Videos