News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ChiDoc

Member Name: ChiDoc
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 16 2024, 06:08:16 PM

Laurents made some smart decisions over the years regarding the book (some cutting of the hotel room scene, the added dialogue during the strip), but overall, as people have said above, this is not a musical that needs revising by anyone else.  If you want to use different versions of the libretto, sure.  But I don't want anybody touching this perfectly crafted book!

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 9 2024, 04:06:22 PM

MrsSallyAdams said: "Unfortunately, it carries over the film’s weaknesses. It is utterly heartless. There’s no attempt to flesh out the central relationships. Who are these people? What do they want? Madeline’s a familiar type. But Helen’s a different person each time we meet her. By act two she’s settled into a second Madeline. Doctor Menville has no personality or goals beyond pursing, and then running from, the women.

Wow, did I write this

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 Apr 26 2024, 03:57:21 PM

chrishuyen said: "I think one of the main reasons it could be called unfinished is because Sondheim famously made big changes over the course of previews in a lot of his shows, and since he never saw it performed with an audience, we don't know what things he might've adjusted had he been around."

This is exactly how I think of it.  It is both a finished work and a tantalizing "What if?"  Did I like what I saw and feel satisfied by it?&nbs

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 Apr 26 2024, 02:31:54 PM

jkcohen626 said: "I do kinda wish that they'd released a song with lyrics (maybe the Soldier's song?). But, the exit music is beautiful.

All I can think about listening to this is that, if this show somehow had transferred, it would probably be the frontrunner for Musical, Score, Book, and Lead Actress at the Tonys, along with noms for directorand every technical category.
"

I would think that Rachel Bay Jones and David Hyde Pierce would both have g

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Apr 19 2024, 01:06:32 PM

BCfitasafiddle said: "This cast, 30 piece orchestra, original choreography!!

I LOVE that the Kimberly Akimbo kids are in this.
"

"You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through"?  It's what the people would deserve.

The Notebook - Original Broadway Cast Recording
 Apr 19 2024, 11:13:41 AM

As a huge Ingrid fan, I've been waiting for this recording since I saw it in Chicago.  It sounds so lovely as an album, and I look forward to whenever I can see the show again (which I say as a noted non-fan of the romance genre).

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters
 Feb 3 2024, 12:57:16 PM

My immediate thought is “The Gentleman is a Dope” from Allegro, although several of the songs in that show also qualify.

Thinking on some of the above, it depends on how you define minor or insignificant.  I think Freddy is a very significant character in MFL, but he doesn’t have a lot of stage time; same goes for Beth in Merrily.  But relative to others, they’re minor characters. So it’s an interesting question that I think can yield a wide arra

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Aug 16 2023, 01:02:43 PM

New Jason Robert Brown/Taylor Mac Musical MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL to Premiere at Goodman Theatre (broadwayworld.com)

Very excited about a JRB premiere in my city!  Date-wise, this seems to be replacing the previously announced Female Troubles.

Aug 6 2023, 05:12:28 PM

110 in the Shade has a glorious score, and I wish it had more than just the Audra revival.

Pipe Dream has a wonderful R&H score, and I think the book could work if it’s just directed to make the prostitution angle clear.

Of Thee I Sing is a riot and should absolutely be revived.  It’s a good score, and while it’s of its time in episodic structure, the book is phenomenal and holds up today.

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Aug 6 2023, 05:05:25 PM

Broadway Flash said: "does anyone think this will go on tour?"

I hope this does.  It would be fairly easy to stage on tour.  And this was one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long time, so I’d love it to tour.  Even sans Ben and Micaela, who were fabulous, I think Arden’s staging is such a star that it would tour incredibly well.

Notebook Musical coming to Broadway
 Aug 3 2023, 09:36:21 AM

The new art looks great, and the Schoenfeld is a good house for this.  I hope they tightened the show during its downtime; this was in the best shape of any Chicago preview show I’d seen in a while, but it could be something really special with some work.  Very excited for this!

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Off-Broadway Reviews
 Jun 6 2023, 11:26:08 PM

These reviews are certainly more positive than I was expecting.  I am not shocked by the praise for BDJ and Kelli O’Hara (especially the latter, because her singing was MAGNIFICENT), but they are generally more forgiving of the score and book than I was.  Both had their moments for me, but I thought this show was going to be reviewed as a mixed bag.

I still doubt the commercial viability in a Broadway house. Sometimes it’s okay to have Off-Broadway be the final st

PRIMA FACIE Free Understudy Performance 5/26
 May 25 2023, 02:46:52 PM

Has anybody heard back yet about tickets?

Kelli O'Hara, Brian d'Arcy James to star in DAYS OF WINE & ROSES musical from LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA team
 May 5 2023, 02:39:23 PM

Hey, Zelda! said: "Demos are up on Guettel's website."

Wow, I can’t stop listening to Forgiveness.  Really looking forward to this at the end of the month.

Schele Williams-directed AIDA Revival - News & Discussion Thread
 May 2 2023, 08:15:02 PM

Woof.  I’ve always wanted to see Aida on stage, and this does not sound like it at all.  From the descriptions above, it seems as though a misguided vision has absolutely kneecapped the show.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Feb 16 2023, 10:22:42 PM

My mother hasn’t seen the show, but I recommended this album to her and she enjoyed it.  She most definitely didn’t get the full arc of Act 2, as she was surprised by Great Adventure, but I’m glad she found this album as lovely as I did the show.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews
 Oct 14 2022, 10:12:56 AM

I loved this Off-Broadway.  For anyone who saw it during its first run, were there any big or noticeable changes to the book or score?

THE NOTEBOOK Musical - News & Discussion Thread
 Oct 13 2022, 10:40:01 AM

I finally got to see the show this week.  It was my first time seeing anything at The Yard, and this was probably the best possible Chicago theatre for this particular musical.

I have my share of notes on how to improve the show, but I was impressed by what I saw.  I watched the movie years ago so I was lightly familiar with the material, but I was much more taken by the story than I was back then.  It probably helps that I have been an Ingrid Michaelson fan for over a d

Angela Lansbury Has Passed Away
 Oct 11 2022, 04:02:30 PM

I often listen to the opening night audio of “A Little Priest”, because her line delivery of “Good you got it” never fails to crack me up.  RIP in the most peace to the mayoress.

Do you think we'll see a 100th anniversary SHOW BOAT on Broadway?
 Sep 22 2022, 11:16:45 AM

Show Boat is incredibly important in the canon of musical theatre, but to do the show justice, you have to put on a big production.  And I just don’t know if the audience would justify the cost.  Even with revisions, it will still feel very of-its-time.  I would love to see the show performed, but I do so with academic interest.  And would there be a large enough crowd who wants to do the same?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You