News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SingMeToSleep

Member Name: SingMeToSleep
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Annie Golden, Broadway Bounty Hunter
 Aug 26 2016, 02:52:27 PM

Couldn't agree more; it was blow-me-away fantastic. 

Cupid Boy2 said: "This show is EVERYTHING. It's one of the best musicals I've seen in the past few years. It's so original and absolutely hysterical. The score is delicious and infectious - like Peggy, I need a cast recording ASAP. Annie Golden is everything you'd expect and more. And the rest of the cast is just as insanely talented. 

At several points, it had me cryin

Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday
 Jul 14 2016, 11:52:00 PM

Jarethan said: 
The show is the star (it provided the material to allow his performance) and will be fine.  I have to admit that I think a lot of posters on this site get a little carried away with the comparisons.  The audiences will never know the difference with the replacements.  The ones announced so far have great credentials and there is no reason to believe they won't be great too. 

I may be less knowledgable than many on this site, but

Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday
 Jul 13 2016, 02:21:10 PM

Ultimately, as with Mormon, or Wicked, or other modern hits, the departure of the original cast will only really matter to the diehard fans.

Yes, it only really mattering to the diehard fans is likely true, especially as it impacts ticket sales and the probable many-years-long successful run of the show. 

However these departures are getting a lot of attention beyond the "fanbase," as might be expected for a show that has become a pop cu

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
 Jul 13 2016, 11:08:55 AM

Well, damn. He was the OBC member I was most hoping would still be around when I go this fall.

Hamilton OBC
 Mar 12 2016, 03:03:31 PM

No date for when this starts filming, but Jonathan has been cast in a new TV series.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/03/10/jonathan-groff-to-star-in-netflix-series-mindhunter/

Hamilton Ticket Sale Now 2/2
 Feb 3 2016, 11:15:29 AM

I agree with those frustrated by the way scalpers are driving up the cost of tickets to levels that are simply unfeasible for many. 

However, there's a part of me that believes Alexander Hamilton, the creator of American capitalism himself, would say that what is going on with the ticket pricing is a direct result of the economic system he envisioned, put in place, and championed. He would probably take enormous pride in the fact that the biggest current hit on Broadway, based

Streisand Gypsy is still on....
 Jan 29 2016, 06:13:47 PM

I believe the information about Streisand at one point wanting to direct as well as star in a film version of Gypsy has been talked about publicly for years?

One possible way for her to play Rose would be to alter the story and make Rose the grandmother of the girls who wound up having to raise them after their parents died or abandoned them. Rose could be someone who gave up her own dreams of stardom to be a conventional housewife and mother but always regretted it and now sees he

Did anyone else attempt the Hamilton Amex pre-sale today?
 Jan 29 2016, 01:00:19 PM

bwaybri2 said: "Hi - 

So I have a few questions:

#2 - did they have any $199 seats or less in the presale - 

"

Yes, they did. $199, $179, and $139 tickets were available.

Should Lea Michele come back to Broadway? In what? (No funny girl please)
 Jan 8 2016, 11:40:33 PM

Sertzo19 said:

"she's signed on for season 2 of Scream Queens and it's rumored she may appear on American Horror Story, she's writing a new book AND recording a new album. How could she possibly have time to squeeze a Broadway show anywhere into a schedule like that? As long as Ryan Murphy is cranking out hit TV shows, she'll have a place on TV and I don't see her turning that down any time soon."

1. There's no guarantee of a second

Oh, Jesus. Barbra Streisand won't Destroy GYPSY
 Nov 13 2015, 11:01:41 AM

nasty_khakis said: "How long before it's announced as one of Ryan Murphy's projects at Paramount?"

Not long. Maybe not Paramount, but definitely Murphy, who had an entire media cycle a week or so ago based on having dinner at Barbra's house with himself, Travolta, who arranged the get-together, and Gaga as the only invited guests.

Murphy, btw, is repped by CAA, the brand new agency Barbra just signed with.

Oh, Jesus. WICKED film confirmed for 2016
 Oct 28 2015, 12:19:01 AM

JoseLee_ said: "Can most of you not see "Last edit on October 27th, 2015", yes it was originally posted on January 8th, 2015 at 11:33am."

That post was edited on Oct. 27. The post is on a website that hosts fans blogging about movies. The blogger may have changed something there but there are no new sources for the blogger's information and there is no news that has changed since January 2015. The news then from the producer was that 2016

Oh, Jesus. Ryan Murphy Still Wants To Destroy FUNNY GIRL
 Oct 27 2015, 03:11:45 PM

broadway86 said: "Watched the panel last night and, no, it seems like he's saying that it is not going to happen."

Lea didn't seem at all into the idea either when it is brought up. Looks like they're both over it.

Oh, Jesus. Ryan Murphy Still Wants To Destroy FUNNY GIRL
 Oct 27 2015, 01:58:47 AM

Yes, if you listen to the clip he basically says he isn't doing it. Or you can read this article which quotes him saying it's not likely to happen because they already did so much from it on Glee. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/26/funny-girl-lea-michele-ryan-murphy-ew-fest 

The Next Hedwig?
 Aug 12 2015, 11:01:02 PM

"It always comes down to business...I think John Barrowman could do it well; he has a following but I don't think he'd fill all the seats. Revisiting the Glee department, Chord Overstreet and even Matthew Morrison could pull it off."

Overstreet isn't nearly a strong enough performer or actor or singer to pull it off and he doesn't have enough name recognition or a big enough fanbase to float the show. Morrison m

The Next Hedwig?
 Aug 11 2015, 10:06:53 PM

"I heard from a source the producers were actually toying around with the idea of having a female Hedwig... Which that kind of 'choice' would seriously depend on the actress, imo"

From an interview with JCM last month:

"In the meantime, I hope Hedwig continues its run on Broadway. Who are some of the performers you’d like to see play the character?

I’d love to see a woman. It would have to be the right woman. I think it wouldn’t have been right to star* with a woman because of what it’s about. We are about artifice and it’s theater and we have a woman playing a man already. I think it works best when you have already had men playing the role so you can add this experience to it. It would have to be the right woman, just as it has to be theright man. I’d love to see Justin Timberlake do it and Lady Gaga. They’re people who have the skills who I don’t think have used them all at the same time in an emotionally substantial piece. They’ve acted well, sang and danced in good things, but this would be putting that all together in something that has a lot of weight to it dramatically. Some of these people we think of as incredible entertainers might find it a great challenge. It would really exciting to see these incredible rock stars really act in something like this."

(* this is probably a typo for "start" )

source

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/9/15
 Aug 11 2015, 12:36:16 PM

"we shall see, from what i can see (and I assume you can see nothing more) this does not seem like SNL level it seems like Fallon. In any event the short run of the TV show dovetails with a return to Hedwig for the holidays and possibly beyond."

In Neil's own words last fall when the show was announced, his goal is to host a variety show that is a modern-day take on The Ed Sullivan Show. He says that optimally, in five years, he'd like to be a cultural tastemaker like Sullivan was in his day. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5EbzkbYnvg) He very specifically said he did not want to do a late night hosting gig like David Letterman (similar to Fallon). He was approached to take over for Letterman before CBS went to Stephen Colbert and NPH turned that opportunity down.

Things may have changed about the planned substance and/or format of the show since then and may change more before it goes to air. However, it seems reasonable that he would be fairly invested in doing all he could to make the show a success when it launches, and I would guess that doing so would involve a significant amount of work and time throughout the week to prepare the show for its live hour on air.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/9/15
 Aug 11 2015, 12:47:01 AM

Some silly TV show is just a sidebar that he was hired to do, and you can be sure they are not paying him what Hedwig could and would.  

I don't think that it is necessarily accurate to characterize his upcoming series as a "silly TV show" that "is just a sidebar that he was hired to do." The silly TV show might end up being spot-on, actually, but that would be more a matter of taste, not a statement about the relative value of the show to the network that is airing it and that he has contracted with to do it.

The show has been billed from the start as a variety show. (See here, for instance, where a comparison is drawn to Saturday Night Live: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/neil-patrick-harris-variety-show-oscars-1201340400/) Many of the elements it will reportedly contain would require a significant amount of work to get it ready to air. I suppose the question of how much of NPH's time that would take up depends on just how involved he will be in the process of generating ideas, writing, and shaping the show to put his personal stamp on it. The mere fact that a show airs live for one hour a week doesn't say anything about how much time and effort is required during a full week to put it together for airing.

That said, it is only going to have 10 episodes this coming television season with a premiere date of September 15. That means it would most likely be done around the end of November. If he is, in fact, interested in another go at filling Hedwig's heels, he might be able to do a run starting in December if they have someone else to take over for a short time after Taye finishes. Or, as you suggest, he might be able to do both the TV show and Hedwig simultaneously if his involvement with the TV show is just to appear on Tuesday nights and do what others have prepared for him to do and say (and, almost certainly, sing). 

I do not know what his Hedwig salary would be. I do know that in his last TV series he was being paid $225,000 per episode in 2013-2014. With his name recognition, his resume, his years of starring on hit shows, and his history of awards and award nominations, it is nearly certain he would command at least that much per episode of the new television series and it is quite likely he'd be making significantly more than that since he will be the sole headlining star of the TV show with his name being the major draw to bring viewers to the screen. 

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
 Aug 3 2015, 10:28:57 PM

It feels like things are getting off-base here with most of the discussion being about Darren Criss's ticket sales and rankings of various people who have played Hedwig. Both discussions started out at least tangentially related to Taye's Hedwig but the conversations have evolved fairly significantly since. Maybe there are other threads where these conversations could be taking place? Just a thought.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/26/15
 Jul 27 2015, 06:02:46 PM

Darren's 12 weeks were, lowest to highest, as follows:

$390,177

$418,702 (his opening week when he only did 6 shows)

$425,224

$448,280

$456,585

$457,557

$475,996

$478,538

$479,292

$533,938

$538,938 (For what it is worth, this was NYC Pride week and the week the marriage equality ruling came down from the Supreme Court. Broadway shows overall seemed to do well this week

Darren Criss in Hedwig
 Jul 21 2015, 12:47:53 PM

Things have been trending down somewhat since fairly early this year. Overall, in the history of the production, the numbers started strong and, over the course of NPH's run, kept climbing. They went down once he left and Andrew Rannells took over for the remainder of the summer and the early fall. They then went up again during the fall, holiday season, and into early January 2015 with Michael C. Hall. They then went down some with John Cameron Mitchell during the winter and early spring and

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You