News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for karlean7

karlean7 Profile Photo
Member Name: karlean7
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.livejournal.com/~karlean7

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Musicals That Deserved the Pulitzer
 Feb 11 2008, 02:46:49 AM
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, re: How to Succeed In Business, but it did win a Pulitzer. In 1962.

Sweeney Todd, while having some overarching themes about Industrialization, isn't specifically American enough for me to feel that it's Pulitzer-worthy.

Also, I am HONESTLY surprised that nobody has said Avenue Q, because hey, maybe it's just me but I thought it was brilliant and it's certainly VERY American.

re: 'RENT' the movie..here we go again
 Dec 3 2007, 11:25:18 PM
I actually don't remember the 2001 one having Jonathan as a character. I know one of them did but I don't think that one was it. I have three on my computer right now and I can't be arsed to go through them all right now, but I wouldn't mind reading the first one again so I can check that one at least.

In any case, all three were definitely circulating around the internet during the leadup to the movie.

re: 'RENT' the movie..here we go again
 Dec 3 2007, 03:45:46 PM
The Rent movie is a horrible, horrible movie. It got stuck in that hell place between "changed and adapted too much" and "too close to the original material."

I love Rent, I'm a big huge fan of Rent, it changed my life, blah blah blah. But the movie sucked.

It felt to me like the cuts they made (the second half of Goodbye, Love being perhaps the most glaring in that "destroys the motivation for pretty much all of the events that happen afterwards" sense) were completely stu

Fake Your Way To The Top lyrics?
 Nov 23 2006, 12:34:07 PM
A friend of mine is doing the in-theater captions for Dreamgirls and she can't find them online anywhere. Neither can I. And the nature of the song makes it sometimes hard to figure out what everyone is saying, so if anyone knows what they are, that would be FANTASTIC.
re: DREAMGIRLS 'Road Show' Engagement Tix Are Now On Sale ---
 Nov 8 2006, 01:43:27 PM
I can't seem to buy tickets for the NY showing. It keeps saying that there is an error. Anyone have any ideas?
re: A Chorus Line is Back on Broadway October 5 at Gerald Schoenfeld Theatr
 Mar 1 2006, 08:20:59 PM
I require knowing exactly when the tickets will be going on sale.

I think I might try to catch this in tryouts, previews, AND in NYC. I love it that much, and I happen to be lucky enough to reside in the Bay Area during the summer.

re: The Pulitzer Prize for Drama
 Feb 23 2006, 04:45:56 PM
There's about one Pulitzer a year for a musical, with 1975, 1985, and 1996 being A Chorus Line, Sunday, and Rent, respectively.

Personally I thought that Avenue Q should have won.

re: Fans of Rent's Screenplay. . . For your consideration
 Nov 30 2005, 04:19:10 PM
That screenplay is one of the reasons why I had a hard time listening to everyone who kept screaming about all the changes that were made. As if the stage play was this holy text that was NOT TO BE CHANGED, EVER and HOW DARE COLUMBUS EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. And the problem with Columbus being such a big fan of the original is that he fell into the same trap.

Of course, the irony is that if they had kept it exactly the same as the stage play, it probably would have been better than what end

re: Fans of Rent's Screenplay. . . For your consideration
 Nov 30 2005, 12:24:54 PM
Stephen Chbosky wrote a much better screenplay back in 2001. It had some serious issues, yes, but nothing that couldn't be fixed, and what was good was REALLY F*CKING GOOD.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Chris Columbus cowrote this one, and just failed to mention that in the official credits.

re: Sorry for another Rent thread - a review
 Nov 4 2005, 08:03:29 PM
This and the other review are voicing some of the concerns that I have been having about the movie.

I love Rent.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up loving the movie.

But it's becoming pretty clear to me that it's probably not gonna be a good movie. Just a faithful adaptation.

re: My Rent Movie Review - SPOILERS WITHIN
 Nov 2 2005, 07:20:00 PM
Is anyone ELSE at all concerned that it might be too faithful? One of the things I enjoyed about Chicago was that they made it work as a movie, rather than try to stick the stage version onto the screen.

I mean, there were a ton of homages, and obviously it was pretty close, but they weren't afraid to change things around, add in new stuff, take out whatever didn't work, and so forth.

I'm afraid that Rent will be incredibly faithful, and that while, as a Rent fan, I will probab

re: My Rent Movie Review - SPOILERS WITHIN
 Nov 2 2005, 06:39:27 PM
My biggest fear regarding this movie is that it's gonna be too faithful, and I say this as a pretty goddamn hardcore renthead.

But I'll reserve judgement until I see it, I guess.

re: Clips of entire RENT soundtrack
 Sep 16 2005, 11:00:34 PM
I like "Without You"!

Actually, a LOT of these songs sound pretty awesome.

Today is pretty great, but Emcee, I'd reeeeaally appreciate it if you told me where you got the picture (and any from that set) that is your avatar.

re: Ave Q book question
 Sep 15 2005, 09:16:21 PM
No, no, that's most of the scene before "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist". The only other thing that happens before that but after "Purpose" is everyone describing what their purpose is.
re: Your hero's biggest mistake?
 Sep 10 2005, 02:37:49 AM
Crawling into the cardboard tube.

re: Rent Rating
 Sep 9 2005, 12:50:28 AM
If it turns out to be rated PG-13, I am going to find EVERY SINGLE interview and article that has been written wherein they mentioned that it was gonna be rated R, that it was gonna be Chris Columbus' first R movie, that they were gonna stay true and depict the gritty sh*t, then mail it to him and say "Wow, way to stick to your guns. A**wipe."

Unless it got rated PG-13 with all that stuff IN. But I can't remember the last time someone has predicted that a movie would be rated R, and i

re: Dressing Up for the Rent movie
 Sep 7 2005, 11:34:14 PM
I am under NO circumstances going to be singing along, although it would probably take a minor miracle to prevent me from mouthing the words.
re: Dressing Up for the Rent movie
 Sep 7 2005, 10:39:51 PM
I figure that since I went through all the trouble of making an Angel costume last Halloween, that I would bring it out again for the movie.

And since my boyfriend is most likely gonna be with me when I see it, I'll probably make him dress up as Collins, an idea that he seemed to enjoy.

re: The Biggest Rent Fan?
 Sep 1 2005, 10:48:45 AM
I knew that this was going to happen, and while I kinda wish that I had been able to be there that day to submit an entry, I'm pretty sure that I'm not at all what they are looking for.

I won't post the reasons why, since a) there have been threads for that, and b) I don't want this to turn into a "ZOMG liek this is why I should have been there and would have won", but I will say this. One of my dearest friends went to go see Rent many years ago.

When she saw the show, she was

re: What's your favorite 'dance number' of a musical?
 Aug 26 2005, 03:46:01 PM
"Music and the Mirror", without a single doubt in my mind. My only sadness is that I haven't yet seen it performed well.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You