Next Disney Musical...

defygravity2oz
#0Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 6:47pm

So, we have The Lion King, Beauty & the Beast & Tarzan on the block. We had Aida and soon we'll have Mary Poopins.

What Disney musical would you like to see on Broadway next? Who would you want to star in it?

I would want to see Pocahontas (Sp?) with Eden Espinosa as the title character...

colleen_lee
#1re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 6:49pm

The Little Mermaid is the most likely candidate at this point.

ETA: And a big NO for Pocahontas. Disney massacred the story with the film, and took a ton of flack for it, the last thing they need to do is put it on Broadway.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 7/4/06 at 06:49 PM

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#2re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 6:50pm

I would still like to see what they would do with The Little Mermaid. Matthew Morrison as Prince Eric. . .haha, that makes me laugh.

Pocahontas would be fun; Eden's played the part before at the park. . .sounded pretty good, too. Looks the part.

The Jungle Book could be really awesome; but with the new Tarzan, probably not any time soon.

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#3re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 6:51pm

Deja vu.

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#4re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:03pm

I was just thinking that, Act4ever!

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:11pm

Mary Poopins? Ha.

colleen_lee
#6re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:12pm

Hahaaaa. I totally missed that.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#7re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:13pm

I really wanted to see Mary Poppins.... But POOPins I hear is a must-see!!

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#8re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:15pm

The best bet is THE LITTLE MERMAID. I would be first in line for tickets to that one!

The next choice which would make an awesome stage show is Hunchback of Notre Dame. I know there was a production of it in Germany, and I wish it would come here, the pictures look fantastic!!!

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."

defygravity2oz
#9re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:19pm

Sorry for the mispelling I meant "Poppins". I would change it but, its just too funny...

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#10re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:23pm

haha -- I don't want to speak for everyone on here... But I was only teasing -- lol, yes, it's funny - don't change it

Miss Galinda Profile Photo
Miss Galinda
#11re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:23pm

Has anyone heard anything else about The Little Mermaid? I think they did a workshop or something, but who was in it??

I would love to see Eden as Ariel - I saw her in Wicked when she stood in for Idina. Also, I think Sara Ramirez would be a fabulous Ursula! She could crank out Poor Unfortunate Souls and then be transformed into the beautiful land Ursula.

~Melissa

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#12re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:25pm

Too bad you would never see Sara do it because of her excellent attendance record.

Hercules starring
Chris Sieber and Susan Egan

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#13re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:34pm

According to Wikipedia, the next Disney musical is THE LITTLE MERMAID. The only cast they have listed is Pat Carroll, who was the voice of Ursula.

Wikipedia also says that Ursula will be a puppet.

bohemianxsunshine Profile Photo
bohemianxsunshine
#14re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:41pm

i totally agree with miss galinda, eden is amazing and id love to see her do any disney show whatsoever. hunchback of notre dame doesnt look like a flop either.

theatre major, class of 2011 ♥
MARIAN: Well, what would you like to take out?
HAROLD HILL: The librarian.
MARIAN: Quiet, please!
HAROLD HILL: (whispering)The librarian.

I would like to invite you to Voices for Rent! The Official Rent fanbase! Come and join your fellow RENTheads!

defygravity2oz
#15re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:42pm

enough about Mary SH*T-ins...lol..

i think i did hear of a Little Mermaid workshop at one point but, it never got of the ground. That was a long time ago though, they may try again.

what about Aladdin or James & the Giant Peach (sort of Disney)

Updated On: 7/4/06 at 07:42 PM

colleen_lee
#16re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:54pm

"i think i did hear of a Little Mermaid workshop at one point but, it never got of the ground. That was a long time ago though, they may try again."

Uhhh.....there have been a few Little Mermaid workshops, including one that took place only a few weeks ago.

And Disney already has an Aladdin version floating around regional theaters.

Miss Galinda Profile Photo
Miss Galinda
#17re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 7:58pm

Aladdin - DEFINITELY! It was in the set of movies (Little Mermaid through Lion King) that were written LIKE broadway musicals, so it would be an easy trasition to the stage. They also already have a children's theatre version already circulating; the kids at my local theatre are doing it in camp right now.

James and the Giant Peach...not so much. If for no other reason than I really wouldn't want to watch a singing grasshopper for 2 hours :-P

Dabadoll
#18re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:12pm

I like the idea of Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's rather dark for Disney and teaches an array of lessons with some wonderful real world parallels and what is Disney if not a teaching vehicle.

Plus I can’t resist an Alan Menken musical.

Women should be obscene and not heard. ~Groucho Marx

Nepotism is only unfair when it helps other people.

OxfordsLeadingMan
#19re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:16pm

Yea... So The Little Mermaid Will Be On Broadway In 2007... Or At Least Thats What The Rumors Are...

Cruel_Sandwich
#20re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:19pm

NO! NOT HUNCHBACK! THEY RAPED THAT STORY COMPLETELY!

I think Victor Hugo eventually tired of spinning around and around and began seething...

The only things that I liked about that movie were Clopin and the music.

Dabadoll
#21re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:46pm

It's not a great adaptation but the book inspired a movie I really enjoyed.

Women should be obscene and not heard. ~Groucho Marx

Nepotism is only unfair when it helps other people.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#22re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:52pm

Just got back from Disneyland last week where I saw two 45 minute mini-musicals in the park, Aladdin and Snow White. Snow White was just awful but Aladdin had some potential. I could see them bringing it to Broadway, but it does need a lot of work! (And more material!)
Updated On: 7/4/06 at 08:52 PM

colleen_lee
#23re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:56pm

"Snow White was just awful but Aladdin had some potential."

One of our very own, and most valued BWWers is in the Snow White production.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#24re: Next Disney Musical...
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:59pm

Okay, to be fair, it wasn't the actors' fault...they did fine with the awful material they were given. Just my opinion...