News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who is the best at responding to fan mail?

Who is the best at responding to fan mail?

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#1Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:44pm

I love writing to people on Broadway, but I never got an actual letter back yet. I know some fans have received actual letters back from some stars, I'm just not sure who.

I would just like some way I could talk to some one on Broadway either over the phone or email about what it's really like. I'm a senior in high school and I want to be on Broadway more than anything but I don't know that much about the actual job besides the whole performing thing. But I have a feeling there's a lot more to it than that.

I've been trying to get a hold of Sutton Foster by phone but it's not working. Does anyone know of anyway I could talk to someone by phone or email, or someone who I could write to who would probably write me a letter back?

If I lived near NYC than I would just go stage dooring but living in northern Maine, I don't really get to visit NYC as often as I would like.

Thanks so much for any help!!

~Darci

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:45pm

Stalker

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

SweetQintheLights
#2re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:46pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=872593#2741853

"I've been trying to get a hold of Sutton Foster by phone but it's not working"

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 1/14/07 at 05:46 PM

WalkOn
#3re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:47pm

I answer all my fan mail.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

TT
#4re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:48pm

LOL!!!!! I answer all of my fan mail, too...you can PM or e-mail me....

SweetQintheLights
#5re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:49pm

Jeez- don't you have Idina's number?

EVERYBODY has it!

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Broadway Baby4 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby4
#6re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 5:54pm

Millie, you were kidding, right? Please say you did not really try to call Sutton Foster!

lightguy06222
#7re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:04pm

i spoke to sutton yesterday, me and her are BEST buddies, she said that she doesnt want to be bothered by creepers..

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#8re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:07pm

Go to college and you'll learn lots. And read "Making It On Broadway." Don't try to call actors. That's creepy. A nice respectful letter to a few of them would be fine, asking for a short reply, and if they have time to respond they will.

MillieDillmount
#9re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:11pm

Thanks ShbrtAlley44, I am going to college, just not sure which one yet. And I ordered that book on Amazon a couple days ago.

And seriously, it's not like I called her apartment or anything. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm sorry I asked.

~Darci

lightguy06222
#10re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:18pm

doesnt matter where you called... STILL creepy!

Hmm... maybe i should give Mary Faber a ring, see if she will come be a stripper at my birthdaaaI mean... help me become a broadway star.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#11re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:27pm

I don't even want to know how you tried to call her. Just read these boards you'll find out a lot about Broadway.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#12re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:34pm

i called kristen chenowith and now were bffs!!!!!!1!

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#13re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:35pm

Darci - Even if you could reach Ms. Foster, I am not sure what she could say to a total stranger that you might find helpful. You seem young and enthusiastic and that is good. But there aren't really any shortcuts, hints, tricks, magic words (other than Hard work). So stay grounded, perhaps get involved in regional/amateur theater and learn everything you can, and maybe some day Sutton Foster will call YOU.

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#14re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:38pm

The calling Sutton thing is a little creepy....

But in answer to your question, I got a really nice note back from Julia Murney. Maybe try writing her.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

Chrissy*J
#15re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:47pm

Guys, leave Darci alone. I've known her for a bit from a Sutton fan board that my friend Lynsey runs. She really means no harm at all. She's just a huge fan of Sutton and her work.

I am curious, about how you called her though, Darci. You can PM me if you want.

Chrissy*J

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:48pm

Like others said, writing would be the best way to go.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#17re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:49pm

I'm a huge fan of Kristin, but I would NEVER cross the line and call her. That's just creepy.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#18re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 6:54pm

If you want to make it big, continue taking (assuming that you already are) acting, singing, and dance classes. Keep on auditioning for stuff at your school and local theatres.

You could write Sutton Foster telling her that you like her performances or asking her for an autograph, but I don't think there's much she could do for you when you ask for advice on how to make it to Broadway.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

MillieDillmount
#19re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 7:11pm

Thanks to everyone who is actually helping me.

And I don't mean I want advice, more what auditions are like and the rehearsals. As well as the salary and how the contracts work, how the whole union thing works, things like that. Cause I mean I know what the shows are like, that you do 8 shows a week and call times and little things like that, but that's it. I would like to know more about what goes on behind the scenes.

At least about the salary. I don't think I ever heard. Does any one know what's average? Cause I do worry about not being able to make enough to get by while living in NYC. It would be helpful to know the little things like that.

That's all I want to know, just things like that. I watch interviews and read stuff for advice, plus I have the best motivtion to make it on Broadway here in my home town: the drama teachers who don't believe I can make it. I can't wait until the day I get to show them up. hehe.

Anyways, thanks for any help.

~Darci

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#20re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:00pm

"As well as the salary and how the contracts work, how the whole union thing works, things like that."

Two words:Equity Handbook or http://www.actorsequity.org/
Updated On: 1/14/07 at 08:00 PM

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#21re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:03pm

"I'm a huge fan of Kristin, but I would NEVER cross the line and call her. That's just creepy."

Real fans try. That's why I'm her number one fan.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#22re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:03pm

And to find out what auditions are like, just go an audition.

Dibbledl01
#23re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:46pm

i think what she meant was a nyc equity audition vs. a high school or community theater audition. there's a difference.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#24re: Who is the best at responding to fan mail?
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:55pm

I have very little experience with getting in contact with Broadway performers but I can tell you that Howard McGillin is very good about answring fan mail and will send little notes back to you. Daphne is great about answering e-mail. Merle Dandridge has an official message board that she is a member of and happily answers questions on. Several people run their own myspace pages and interact with fans there. Antonique also has a message board that she has an account on but she hasn't been on in a while. Sorry, those are all that I know.

On another note, I'm sure when you said you tried to call Sutton Foster that you meant it innocently enough, but that really is crossing a line. A big line. Tracie Thoms wrote a bulletin just before New Years about how a fan had somehow gotten her phone number and was harassing her. I spoke to her several times about it online. It is not ok. It is scary. Unless you somehow know the performer personally and they themselves give you their phone number and tell you to call them it is not ok to find their number and take it upon yourself to call them. I'm sure you meant well and are just a big fan who wants to have some contact, but the phone is just not the way to do it.

Good luck.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Videos