Musicals in One Act?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#1Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:35am

Hey y'all

I'm taking an Advanced Directing class next semester, and I'm thinking about doing a musical as my project.

However, whatever I do needs to be in one act. Can you help me think of some one act musicals?

All i can think of right now is:
Elegies
A New Brain
March of the Falsettos
Falsettoland
Pippin
The Last 5 Years
Songs for a New World

jaso937
#2re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:47am

Runaways is a great musical intertwined with dramatic monologues. i saw it at District 1 thespian competition a few years ago but havn't been able to find the music or monologues from it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:50am

A Chorus Line

Follies was originally produced as a one act musical.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#3re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:00am

The Drowsy Chaperone

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:02am

PASSION

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Not Barker, Todd.
#5re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:03am

Agnes
http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1884

Break
http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1885

Eulogy for Mister Hamm
http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1886

Lucky Nurse
http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1887

These are all from the LaChiusa collection, "Lucky Nurse and Other Short Musical Plays."

First Lady Suite (also published by the above) is made up of 3 one acts I think you can license separately.

Is "The Bubbly Black Girl Sheds Her Chameleon Skin" or Hedwig a one act?

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-
Updated On: 2/26/08 at 01:03 AM

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#6re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:03am

I'm sorry, but I have to say it:

BROOKLYN

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

mauriposa
#7re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:04am

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#8re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:05am

Assassins is a one act, and it is a FANTASTIC show, one of my favorites.

I highly recommend it.

Not Barker, Todd.
#9re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:16am

A Christmas Carol
Captain Louie
Forever Plaid

shanescot Profile Photo
shanescot
#10re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:17am

Not the greatest show, but you could do "Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." It's running time is pretty short if you do it as written (by not adding all of the extra dance breaks, etc.) . I've seen it as a one-act before and it actually worked. It was about an hour or so.

Not Barker, Todd.
#11re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:31am

Adrift in Macao
A Day in Hollywood / A Night in the Ukraine
A ... My Name Is Alice (?)
A ... My Name Is Still Alice(?)
In Trousers
James Joyce's The Dead (?)
Myths and Hymns (?)

A Director
#12re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 3:08am

For a directing class, what about one of the acts from The Apple Tree? The first act has three characters. Also, I don't know if they're available, but what about something from 3HREE?

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#13re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 3:33am

Would "Xanadu" count?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#14re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 3:57am

Well, XANADU is a One-acter but the rights for it haven't been released yet.
I think Act One of THE APPLE TREE (the strongest of the three) would definitely work as a stand-alone piece for a class (not a full-blown production). It has a small cast, an adorable score, and a very romantic story.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#15re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 6:57am

Songs for a New World is 2 acts.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

Gothampc
#16re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:00am

Once On This Island

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Ed_Mottershead
#17re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:05am

Romance, Romance was a two act show, but each act contains a story in and of itself. I imagine you could do one without the other.

BroadwayEd

Geridith Profile Photo
Geridith
#18re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:08am

I think you mean Weird Romance, which is exactly what I was about to suggest, by Alan Menken. Great show, both halves are awesome and definitely could stand apart.

Samantha

Ed_Mottershead
#19re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:15am

Sorry, the show that I was citing was definitely called Romance, Romance. It was done in the late 80's and had quite a few Tony nominations. Scott Bakula was in it -- it was a cast of four, each playing totally different parts in each show. The first took place in 19th Century Paris and the other in 20th Century Long Island.

BroadwayEd

Geridith Profile Photo
Geridith
#20re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:16am

My mistake... two suggestions then, instead of one! :)

Sam

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#21re: Musicals in One Act?
Posted: 2/26/08 at 11:05am

The first act of ROMANCE ROMANCE actually takes place in Vienna.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns