Sharpie

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:11am

Hey all -

I'm seeing MACBETH tomorrow night (04.09) and well, I'm curious as to what the consensus is with "What color Sharpie would come-off the best on the Playbill?" I have a red, green and black one. I prefer the black one, buuuut, I'd love your thoughts and opinions. I know it's a weird question and all, but my guest tomorrow evening is a great friend of mine and a HUGE fan of Patrick Stewart's so meeting him after the performance would make my night (being a theatre fanatic) but more-so make *his* - so I'm really hoping for somethin' from this thread.

Many thanks in advance to my BWW Family!

Best,
- Mike Sharpie

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:12am

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:16am

I haven't seen the playbill but if it's dark colored you could always try to get your hands on a silver paint pen that can be bought at any AC Moore or Michaels. They look sensational against a very dark background. Just be careful not to touch it right away.

If it's a light colored one I'd say stick with your basic black.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 4/8/08 at 02:16 AM

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#3re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:18am

Apparently it looks like this

re: Sharpie

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:20am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 02:20 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:22am

I'd go with the silver then. Any sharpie would only show up on his face/body.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:22am

Do the designers of the playbill get paid? That would take me twenty minutes in Photoshop.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

verynewyorkcurious
#7re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:29am

Yeah it's not good. They could've left the character behind out, which looks so obviously added-on (via Photoshop).

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:30am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 02:30 AM

LimelightMike
#9re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:48am

LoL - It's a shame, really.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:54am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 02:54 AM

verynewyorkcurious
#11re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:55am

So, LlM..

You can't go wrong with SILVER. The color pops on dark backgrounds, and it'll also appear on white.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:58am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 02:58 AM

LimelightMike
#13re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 3:04am

You guys rock! Thanks a bunch!

FYI, come late-Wednesday / early-Thursday, I'll be sure to post a review of the show - Here's hoping Big Ben and the rest of the bunch enjoyed the production as much as I hope to!

Thanks again for your input!

Best,
- Mike re: Sharpie

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#14re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 4:04am

This is a thread about sharpies...on a Broadway board. And after all these posts nobody has many any snarkie comment? At all??? None???

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/8/08 at 4:12am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 04:12 AM

Bwayfan4
#16re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 4:22am

I'm awake....

Seriously...dumbest question ever.

Does it REALLY matter if the sharpie color isn't color coordinated with the playbill?

How about taking a variety of standard colors and not wasting space on this board asking these kind of questions....

(Sorry to be rude but this really WAS a dumb question)

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#17re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 4:29am

It's not about being color coordinated - it's about what would show up best. A black sharpie would NEVER show up against that background. So getting the playbill signed in black, or any other dark color, would be absolutely pointless. No one would ever see it unless it was held under a light at just the right angle. And silver isn't a standard color that everyone would think of right away. He, most likely, wouldn't have had it with him. He'd have had the colors listed in the thread - none of which would work. No sharpie other than the silver one would show up against the dark background. Light, dark, etc.

Mike's question was absolutely valid.

Updated On: 4/8/08 at 04:29 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#18re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 8:21am

Hey, I understand! Finding just the right color sharpie is a nice added touch. It makes it fun! I have a whole slew of colors of them ~ silver being a must. I like having playbills signed in different colors, especially when I put them on my wall.

And Mike, yeah, I think the silver ones are in 3-packs at virtually any Office Max or Staples. Enjoy!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#19re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:05pm

I'm a big fan of the silver sharpie!

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#20re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:10pm

I learned about silver Sharpies the hard way -- I've got a The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee windowcard signed in black Sharpie. Thus, all the signatures are crammed in on the white banner with the show's title.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#21re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:21pm

As others have said, go with the SILVER sharpie, Mike!

I know it feels silly considering these things, but if you want the autograph, it's important. I bought the silver sharpie a couple years ago specifically to be used on posters with dark backgrounds, because black and other colors just don't show up.

We saw Macbeth on Saturday and loved it. Mr. Stewart was lovely at the stagedoor and signed our Playbills with said silver sharpie =) I hope you have a wonderful time!

DryMartini Profile Photo
DryMartini
#22re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:25pm

Stephen Schwartz uses a gold one and it looks very nice!

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#23re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:34pm

Make sure you don't buy your Sharpie from one of the theatre gift shops at the last minute. My friends forgot theirs at the hotel once and sent me to the shop in Schubert Alley to get a new one...and it was about three times the cost of a Sharpie at Duane Reade or an office store.

Oh, and the gold ones seem to run dry faster than the silver.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#24re: Sharpie
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:39pm

Apperently, the entier cast of Phantom is given silver ones to use come stage door time. Only because that is the only color that will show up on that playbill and most people have the typical black one.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll