GLORY DAYS reviews

RyToast1
#1GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 5:58pm

Sorry if I got your hopes up. I'm just wondering, don't they usually start to pop up around now?!

I'm so so eager!

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 6:09pm

AM New York and Newsday seem to have axed their odd policy of posting reviews at two in the afternoon. Good for them.

But yeah, Talkin' Broadway and Variety will probably be the first ones up.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 6:49pm

Hartford Courant
NEW YORK - Just what impelled the producers to transfer "Glory Days" from the Signature Theatre in Washington to Broadway's Circle in the Square looms as the biggest mystery of the season.

Little To Crow About In Puerile 'Glory Days'

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#3re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 6:50pm

I have a feeling the Hartford Courant just set the tone for the rest of the reviews we'll see tonight.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

RyToast1
#4re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 6:56pm

This has to be my favorite part of that review...

"There is a sameness to the tunes by Blaemire, who also appears in the ensemble of "Cry-Baby," not a great musical but much superior to this one. The voices of the four chums are strong but not distinctive."

They managed to slam Cry Baby AND Glory Days in one paragraph!

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#5re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 6:59pm

"They managed to slam Cry Baby AND Glory Days in one paragraph!"

Hahahaha! Score one for the Hartford Courant!

PS - ...ouch.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:11pm

AM New York
We guarantee that anyone who sees the new Broadway musical "Glory Days," which was written by two lucky 23 year olds, will be stunned. But not in a good way. After enduring all 90 painful minutes of this undercooked, horribly amateurish show, you'll be wondering how the hell it got to Broadway.

No glory in 'Glory Days'

RyToast1
#7re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:13pm

Wow.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#8re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:25pm

Brutal (and we are barely out of the gates on this one tonight). Sad really, being these two guys Broadway debut as writers. I haven't seen it, but really do like some of the songs on the myspace page. The show as a whole sounds like a mess, though (from posters on here and the reviews thus far). That Foster liked it kind of gave me some hope they might pull it out. Oh well...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:33pm

Yeah, I enjoyed the show. I didn't find it to be a mess. Though I don't feel it belongs on Broadway.

But I think it's really unfair for people here to be rejoicing in the bad reception the show is getting.

It's not like the show is some movie-to-musical conglomeration, or backed by Mel Brooks or some huge corporation.

These are promising writers who wrote an original musical, and their premiere should have been Off-Broadway. That's clear.

But cut them some slack. If some producers came to you and said they wanted to put your musical to Broadway, would you be hard pressed to say no?

I have no doubt these guys will recover from this, and come back to write something new. They can learn from this experience and take it with them on their next project.

Some *support* from fans of original musical theatre and up-and-coming writers certainly couldn't hurt.

The celebration being displayed on this board of the negative critical reception this show is getting is kind of absurd.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:39pm

foster is right. Let's show some respect for the artists' sake.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#11re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:47pm

Give me a break. This show wasn't ready for Broadway and we're supposed to be nice about it? I truly believe that this show should have been developed and nurtured further before it ever set foot in New York. Seriously, Eric Shaeffer and the producers should have known better.

westcoastdrama
#12re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:47pm

Foster is a big ole' hypocrite. He is a fan of the show so is irked at the glee of the Board in its negative reception, yet I have seen him gloat over bad revioews for shows he dismissed. Glory Days does not belong in a Broadway house. End of story. Move on.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#13re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:49pm

"Our "no stars" rating could also describe the cast. The young male quartet (Steven Booth, Andrew Call, Adam Halpin, Jesse Johnson) tries its best, but none possesses any charm, personality or vocal chops. Jonathan Groff of "Spring Awakening" has more talent in one pinky finger than all of them put together."

Ouch.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#14re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:49pm

I will second that, jrb. I was leaving work today and saw a copy of Virginia magazine with the guys on the cover...it made me kind of sad knowing the kind of reception the show will most likely get tonight.

ski2904 Profile Photo
ski2904
#15re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:53pm

It undoubtedly should have had more time, and I agree that it probably should have gone off-Broadway, but as Foster said, how could they say no.

So do you think this will make it longer than High Fidelity?

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#16re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:54pm

I second what Foster said...

Let's at least celebrate that these guys wrote a show (at 23!) that SOMEONE wanted to take to Broadway. These guys will remember this night for the rest of their lives I'm sure, I hope it goes well for them.

It may not belong on Broadway, but it's here.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#17re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:56pm

haha. the nasty reviews are tooo funny!!

why should I support something I hate, Foster?

this is the debut of 23 year old writers... the show shouldn't be THAT good. they're just getting their feet wet. were there high expectations for this show or something?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#18re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 7:58pm

Thank god for these horrible reviews so far...the show was painful to sit through. I hope GLORY DAYS goes down in history like HOME SWEET HOMER did 32 years ago...but I won't hold my breath.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#19re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:01pm

"Foster is a big ole' hypocrite. He is a fan of the show so is irked at the glee of the Board in its negative reception, yet I have seen him gloat over bad revioews for shows he dismissed. Glory Days does not belong in a Broadway house. End of story. Move on."

Wait...did you just call him out and then agree with what he said?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#20re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:02pm

i think its a shame, ive not seen the show but i can only imagine the feeling amongst the cast and crew is one of such failure, i hope they can be happy in knowing that they tried and got a show to Broadway

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#21re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:03pm

While I fully respect the artists here, it boggles my mind that these same posters had such GLEE when the negative reviews for Cry Baby came in. What, no respect for those artists? We pick and choose? I dont get it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:04pm

But cut them some slack. If some producers came to you and said they wanted to put your musical to Broadway, would you be hard pressed to say no?

I think you're intentions are good, but honestly, if they offered me to be CEO of Microsoft tomorrow I wouldn't say yes just for the sake of the opportunity, but because I know I don't have close enough experience and would make the company go bankrupt.

I don't think is unfair to criticize that poor judgment is the main factor that most people involved in the show seem to have.
Taking the opportunity just because it sounds good doesn't seem like a bright idea to me at all.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#23re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:04pm

Please.

It is one thing to support young artists; it is another to let this sort of show make it to Broadway.

I want to know who dropped the soap in order to get this show on Bway.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#24re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:06pm

Bert - yes, picking/choosing the bad shows! There is a reason both CRY-BABY and GLORY DAYS are getting mostly negative reviews. think about it...