pixeltracker

WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY

WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY

being.jeremiah
#1WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:28am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=29131

Should say continue?

"The Weinstein Co. is going to start producing for Broadway.

The Weinstein Co., which was a minority co-producer on the season's Tony-winning play and play revival, August: Osage County and Boeing-Boeing, is developing a slew of stage projects. First up will be a musical of 'Finding Neverland' in 2010, followed by a stage incarnation of Pink Floyd album 'The Wall.'

Also being developed are musicals based on Miramax pics 'Shakespeare in Love,' 'Chocolat,' 'Cinema Paradiso' and 'Shall We Dance.'"

Thoughts?

Updated On: 6/20/08 at 10:28 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:33am

Sure, why not!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Roscoe
#2re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:34am

KILL BILL the musical!

Directed by Julie Taymor
music and lyrics by Stew

uh.

That started as a joke, but actually sounds kind of cool.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:36am

Why not? Just as long as the Weinstein's don't get too full of themselves and start acting all Hollywood with the sensitive creative types here on the East Coast. re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

titleofusername Profile Photo
titleofusername
#4re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:35am

Oh, god. I HATE Harvey Weinstein with a fiery passion. Such a prick.

UPCOMING SCHEDULE: Passing Strange (7.17.08), [title of show] (7.18.08), [title of show (7.19.08 M), [title of show] (7.19.08 E), The 39 Steps (7.20.08 M), Damn Yankees (7.20.08 E)

Roscoe
#5re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:37am

"Oh, god. I HATE Harvey Weinstein with a fiery passion. Such a prick."

Sounds like a good story is lurking somewhere. Care to share?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#6re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:38am

But a ****with taste, you gotta admit.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 6/20/08 at 11:38 AM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#7re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:39am

Will "The Wall" musical just be "The Wizard of Oz" acted -- oh wait, that was "The Dark Side of the Moon."

barcelona20
#8re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:40am

Shakespeare in Love is a great idea for a musical.

Pink Floyd, The Wall, not so much.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#9re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:41am

Personally, I'm more interested in the hits from the UK and regionally they'll bring to Broadway, like BOEING BOEING and AUGUST:OSAGE.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#10re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:43am

Twenty years from now, will we be talking about the Weinsteinization of Broadway?

I surely hope not.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#11re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:46am

I'd rather that than more fawking Disney musicals.

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#12re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:01pm

How does everyone feel about the idea that he will bring more 'Hollywood' talent to Broadway?

That was the part that sort of jumped out at me

I don't think I want NYC to be more like LA...

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance
Updated On: 6/20/08 at 01:01 PM

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#13re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:07pm

Pink Floyd's The Wall sounds like an ambitious idea that if well-executed, might be amazing.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#14re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:11pm

I don't really feel Chocolat, and was watching Shakespeare in Love a few weeks ago and thought to myself that it couldn't really work. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong, because I love the film.

They should put that Chicago movie on stage!!! re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#15re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:28pm

Like the NEVERLAND and SHAKESPEARE ideas. I wish they could build/buy a large theatre in Los Angeles to use as the launching pad for their shows. That would be awesome and bring some Broadway back ot L.A. after long runs of LION KING and WICKED.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

chris d
#16re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:35pm

first thing that came to mind was a CRYING GAME musical, which I would love to see.

MungoGypsy8232
#17re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:39pm

I'm excited for Finding Neverland! I thought someone was already working on that though (though I may have that mixed with a thread about movies we want to be made into musicals)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#18re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:43pm

People have been talking about "The Wall" for years. Adam Pascal was attached to it for a while, then the buzz seemed to go dormant until now. Hmm.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#19re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:07pm

I personally cannot wait to see what they do with "The Wall". It is my all time favorite rock album and I love the Live in Berlin concert that was done. (Which I own the recording and video of)

Just give the world Love.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#20re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:11pm

Is this allofmylife's people?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

gottadance2 Profile Photo
gottadance2
#21re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:20pm

Harvey Weinstein on his own has produced many shows on Broadway and won two Tonys for "The Real Thing" and "The Producers". He produced All Shook Up, The Color Purple, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Sweet Charity and lots more.
Updated On: 6/20/08 at 03:20 PM

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#22re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:29pm

Cinema Paradiso as a musical?! No no no no no no no no no.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#23re: WEINSTEIN CO. to Start Producing for B'WAY
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:52pm

I believe Frankel & Korie are working on the Finding Neverland musical.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-