Hair seat question?

coolkid11776
#1Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 4:30pm

Hi,
I'm looking to get tix for opening night. I found Row S or the Mezz for $37. Will I be able to see everything ok?

I know it hasn't even started previews yet but I was wondering from ppl who say Tales from Row S of the mezz?

Thanks

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 4:39pm

Do it so we don't have to hear your bitching for 3 months.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Hair seat question?

My computer went all weird Updated On: 11/18/08 at 04:39 PM

Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: Hair seat question?

Drunk Chita Rivera
#4re: Hair seat question?

Drunk Chita Rivera
#5re: Hair seat question?

Scott Briefer
#6re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 4:42pm

I am curious about the majority of posters who ask about seating locations... When you are purchasing your tickets do you not view a seating chart? If so, are you so unfamiliar with proscenium theaters to have a basic knowledge of what it's like to sit in one? The better seats depend on your preference, but a good rule of thumb is: to be as close to the center as possible (unless you like the aisle) and as close to the stage considering enough distance to get an overview or perspective. If the seats aren't sold as "partial or obstructed view" than you'll see the vast majority of the stage that is used in the primary blocking. If you're on the side, you will see the show from that angle. The perspective is going to be obvious by comparing your seat to a seating chart. The distance from the stage is pretty much going to be determined by the letter of the row you sit in.

The further back you are the less significant being center is as the angle decreases. Sitting closer gives you more detail, but less an overview, etc. etc. etc.

Please clarify why there are so many posts regarding seating locations?

Updated On: 11/18/08 at 04:42 PM

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#7re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 4:44pm

coolkid, how old are you?

Drunk Chita Rivera
#8re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 5:03pm

I believe they have stated they are 17. And nice response Scott.

broadfan327
#9re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:37pm

In some theaters, rear mezzanine is fine, while in another, I would not want my worst enemy to sit there. Looking at a seating chart is helpful, but it isn't enough if you have never been in that particular theater before. For instance, in the Al Hirschfeld Theater, the center section mezzanine seat I had for Tale I thought was bad, while the left section rear mezzanine seat I had for Billy was fine. On paper, the Billy seat was worse and cheaper, while the Tale seat was more expensive and better, but that was not the case in reality. I would spend more money on an orchestra seat in a particular theater if I knew the mezzanine seat was going to be bad.
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 09:37 PM

Scott Briefer
#10re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:57pm

I'm curious. What about the theater's architecture, or the show, made the difference?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 10:04pm

Personally, I think all threads regarding seat location should be deleted. Especially since so many people ask after the fact like there's something they can do about it after their purchase? And often times someone will ask about Orchestra row 3 and it seems like they're really just trying to show off their good seats, but they ask if it's too close. At the very least the Disney ones should be deleted since all the Disney shows now have the digital view of the stage from every seat location available on their respective websites.

Scott Briefer
#12re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 10:05pm

CATSNYrevival,

We're in agreement!
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 10:05 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#13re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 10:18pm

how about people stop asking about seats and stop complaining about leg room? you're probably not the only person with a problem, and complaining ain't going to change it.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

broadfan327
#14re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 10:25pm

The steepness of the mezzanine in the respective theaters I mentioned. Also, the size of the shows, the size of the stage, the use of the stage.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#15re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:55pm

I kind of have to agree with the minority here. Just with my limited experience, each theatre does differ a lot. Take Gypsy for instance. In a lot of theatres if you sit really close it doesn't make much of a difference. However, with Gypsy you miss a lot of the show because of the height of the stage (now I personally think this is highly worth it, because of what you get out of being so close, but that's another point). I think if we're talking Disney shows where you can see EXACTLY what it looks like, obviously that's different. But in this case, I for instance have never been to the Hirschfield and am actually curious what the UBERcheap seats (the last rows Mezz. that are going for $30something) are like. Is it worth the buy? Can I see anything? And most important of all, why is this such an inappropriate question to ask?

LindyLee
#16re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 6:02pm

hmm, CatsNY..I know when I asked about sitting in the 3rd row of the orchestra for Billy Elliot it was because someone had just mentioned being at a different theater where they sat so close that they were only seeing half the bodies of the actors. I was concerned and going to switch my tickets if the same was true of this theater. No other ulterior motives...just thought some nice folks might help out.

coolkid11776
#17re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/26/08 at 5:05pm

Is the mezz rly high at this theatre?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#18re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/26/08 at 5:07pm

I sat in the Mezz for Curtains. It is fairly steep, but you can see everything!
its a wonderful view

Drunk Chita Rivera
#19re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/26/08 at 7:05pm

"rly" is not a word coolkid.

dreamz
#20re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:32pm

I work in that theater there is really not a bad seat in the mezz except the boxes.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/26/08 at 11:32pm

"I am curious about the majority of posters who ask about seating locations... When you are purchasing your tickets do you not view a seating chart?"

Scott, sometimes the mezzanine is not in good in some theaters as others...I only look at seating charts to see how close to the center I am.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

RentBoy86
#22re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/27/08 at 12:26am

So, not related to the topic at hand, because, well, who cares? If "Hair" is performing at the parade in the morning, then who was cast as "Claude" since Groff dropped out? Does it mean Hanke stepped in or what? No official word has really been said about casting, yet they're already performing...hm..

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#23re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 11/27/08 at 4:55am

Wait... coolkid wants to go to an OPENING? I thought he only went to CLOSINGS.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

coolkid11776
#24re: Hair seat question?
Posted: 2/4/09 at 3:07pm

Hey,
Which seats are better
Right Mezzanine Row S, Seats 20-22
OR
Left Mezzanine Row S, Seats 19-21