I <3 NY
#0CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 2:47am

What do you think?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#1re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:32am

Don't hold your breath. Broadway cannot afford her $alary and she is cozy comfy drawing them into her theater in Vegas every night with that BIG "Brand New Day" Show. Now, For a film version, possible, but she may be a tad too old by now. I wouldn't be shocked if they went with Idina on a film version, She seems to be easing into films well and nobody defies gravity like Idina! It's gonna be like "Funny Girl", They COULD have hired ANYONE to play Fanny Brice, But it clearly was Streisand's vehicle and they were right.
Cheno looks good on film too and was great in "Bewitched" (as was Carole!) and in "The Music Man" so she may reprise her role as well. That is, In a film version, and trust me, With this show's MASS appeal to ALL ages, You can bet that film talk has been buzzing - Hey, Perhaps even Liza can play "Madame Morrible" in the film and they CAN give her a few numbers, that would be nice!
If she would do it I would like to see Sara Ramirez do Elphaba on Broadway, I'll bet she would bring the house down! Although, I believe she will go for a solo career a la Sarah Brightman and be a big success, IMHO.
Great question though!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Urban
#2re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:59am

Britney for the film version of Elphaba!

Scarily enough the young blonde pop-tart (in general, not specifically Britney) would more likely be the choice to play Elphaba in any movie.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#3re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 7:59am

Mind you i found that Stephanie J Block bore a strikling resemblance at times to Celine when i saw her in the role.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#4re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 8:30am

OOooh, Ellie, where are you?!? This sounds like it'd be right up your alley!! re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

I'm not that GURL Profile Photo
I'm not that GURL
#5re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:13am

How about Ana Gasteyer playing Celine playing Elphaba - now that would be fun!

"My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#6re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:22am

i want to hear celine sing some of the elphaba songs. i don't want her to play the role though. that wouldn't work. ever.

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#7re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:30am

"How about Ana Gasteyer playing Celine playing Elphaba - now that would be fun!"

LOL. YES!!

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

touchmeinthemorning
#8re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:33am

I actually think thisw casting would be great.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

TheOneAndOnly
#9re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:49am

She's a loon (in a sometimes good way), and I don't want her to actually be in a production of Wicked...but I wouldn't mind hearing her add a song or two to her live show or on a covers album...when it comes down to it, the girl can belt some crazy sht!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#10re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:56am

Yeah, I agree. I don't need to see her perform the role...but I'd sure love to hear her sing some of those songs!

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#11re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:59am

As Whitney, Mrs. Brown to you - Ms. Houston if you're nasty, would say:

HELL TO THE NO!!!

Someone fantasized, this would never happen, about Liza as Elphie and her sister Lorna as Galinda - I know, I know, the age thing, but wouldnt it be a diva coup to see them both on stage in a version of one of their mother's major movies?

What about: Bebe Neuwirth, Susan Egan, Madonna (although her Elphie would have an affected British accent), Stephanie Block (she ROCKED on tour in Dallas) - but the best pairing would be Elaine Stritch as Elphie and Carol Channing as the blond one.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:03am

I just saw Celine's show in Vegas - she's a pretty great performer and she can siiiiinnnnnnggggg. Ironically, last week I read an article with her in which she said she'd love to do an acting role on stage or in films. But I don't see her as Elphaba. Would be great to hear her "Defying Gravity" though.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:04am

There are times when Stephanie Block sounds a bit like Celine too. Hmmm....

I think Celine's angular looks and wiry frame would be a great asset for Elphaba as well.

...But I'm really not sure about her acting chops. Does she have ANY?? I can just picture her pounding her chest on the musical transition for the last chorus of "Wizard and I." Ugh. ...Or as she rises into the air defying you-know-what, waving a broom in one hand and thumping her chest ala Tarzan with the other! Get me a nurse, quick.

...But she would sure draw a crowd. And let's face it, "Wicked" is really struggling along and needs help with that right now. re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 11/2/05 at 11:04 AM

AllNite429
#14re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:05am

Just what I was thinking Michael. She would rock the hell out of those last three notes in DG.

AlixEG1 Profile Photo
AlixEG1
#15re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:05am

LOL - can't get Ana playing Celine playing Elphaba out of my head - that is just hilarious. It would be a fun thing to do for a fundraiser or something. If they do make a movie I would hope that Ben Vereen could play the wizard. He is a household name and was so great - he made me actually like the songs with the wizard...

Taylor the latte boy, Bring me java, bring me joy! Taylor the latte boy, I love him, I love him, I love him

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16re: CELINE DION AS ELPHABA
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:07am

Betcha five bucks Ana is already doing this immitation back stage.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22