pixeltracker

Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?

Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?

secondcity Profile Photo
secondcity
#1Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 10:36am

Oh my god is this hysterical...this should made into a movie!

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117955244&categoryid=15

teddyp2
#1re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:12am

They are trying to claim that they never saw the Fringe Production. Give me a break!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:16am

I'm beginning to hope no one will hire Carafo or Rando again.
Wai till somone tries to do a local production of that crappy Wedding Singer.
You will not be allowed to place this show in the 80'S.

teddyp2
#3re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:19am

I think it would be great for some theatre to redo GOOD VIBRATIONS and acutally make it work!

But of course, they would not be able to use surf boards or mention anything about a beach.

shesamarshmallow
#4re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:19am

No one's ever going to do a regional production of Urinetown again. At least, not for a decade or so. Such a shame.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Jon
#5re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:56am

No, it just means that only people with original ideas will do Urinetown.

Our theatre has done dozens of obscure little musicals for which there are no bootleg videotapes available. The directors and choreographers of thses productions never saw the original, or any other versions of them. They used what was in the printed script, and came up with their own ideas.

I'd tired of this stupidity. If the script of WEDDING SINGER says "the show is set in the 1980's", then you set it in the 1980's.

broadwayguy2
#6re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:59am

oh Joy, more reasons to thing think that John Rando is a money hungry, self important, no talent hack of a director.. as if we needed the new excuse anyway. re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?

secondcity Profile Photo
secondcity
#7re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:11pm

Jon, I read your post all the time and I think you are sooooo smart and very savvy.

But I have two friends that sweated there butts off inthe dead heat of summer at the Fringe fest and they clearly have stated that Caraffa ripped off many things and one of the most damaging pieces of evidence is that Run Freedom Run was directly copied from the Fringe director.

I do agree with you that directors and choreographers should be compensated and credited for thier work, whether people use thier work or not...they should be totally cut into the action. But shouldn't the director of this production have gotten something!!

Mattbrain
#8re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:22pm

Sorry if this sounds totally dumb but does this mean the published libretto of Urinetown will be pulled out of circulation?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:24pm

I'm laughing my ass off.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#10re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:26pm

And to think I really wanted to see Urinetown

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#11re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:47pm

Mattbrain--

I doubt the rights to Urinetown will be pulled out of circulation. It just means that directors of the show are probably going to be a bit more careful from now on!

BTW, was Carrafa the Fringe production choreographer? Because that would explain why "Run Freedom, Run" was the same.

secondcity Profile Photo
secondcity
#12re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 12:59pm

no, mcdonnel choreographed and directed the fringe and for full clarity there is now a new story on playbill.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#13re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 1:04pm

I feel no pity.
However, I do find it a bit chilling to imagine what would happen if Rando and Carrafa win...how long before any production of Sweeney which features a Mrs. Lovett sporting the cinammon buns hairdo is shut down for plagiarism?

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#14re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 1:07pm

That's exactly what I'm thinking -- what's the precident that will be set by this whole thing? Ticket prices go up even more because ANYyone involved in the original production now gets royalties? Ugh.

timote316
#15re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 2:33pm

This should be a soap opera. Would "As The Toilet Turns" work for a title?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#16re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 2:38pm

Howzabout "As the Bowl Swirls."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#17re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 2:44pm

Damn! I wish I had thought of this!

I'd be rich, I tellsya....RICH!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

teddyp2
#18re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 5:30pm

just curious if anyone out there saw both the fringe production of urinetown and the broadway or off-broadway show?

would love to hear if there were similar things in both....

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#19re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 5:55pm

one of our frequent posters was actually in the fringe production and has weighed in on another thread about some similarities and differences.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#20re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 6:34pm

I believe you are speaking of me, OurTime!

Greetings from Florida all! This is fascinating! I don't know how much I want to really weight in...but I will say that there were several things about the off-Broadway/Broadway staging that struck me as fascinatingly similar. Now...I can say with certainty that Rando and Carrafa never attended a single performance of the Fringe production. But that does not, in any way, mean that they hadn't seen it. And I think I'll leave it there.

Oh...and one word..."rollerskates".

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#21re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 6:56pm

did the actors in the Fringe Prod. sign anything waiving their rights? At any rates, ideas are not copyrightable (per law). I love this topic I hope something good comes out of all this.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

broadwayguy2
#22re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 7:07pm

be careful, robbiej bites.. hard.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#23re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 7:32pm

The link to the Playbill article:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104073.html

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: Carrafa & Rando are the Plagiarist!?
Posted: 12/7/06 at 7:54pm

A link to the Variety article with pictures:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117955244.html?categoryid=15&cs=1

By the way, from what I remember, Spencer Kayden was the only performer to transfer from the Fringe production to Off-Broadway/Broadway. I wonder if she'll be called to testify.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 12/7/06 at 07:54 PM

Videos