The Phantom Of Manhattan Update

rockfenris2005
#1The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/1/07 at 9:26pm

Sorry if this has been posted (I searched, couldn't find any results, so apologies if it has.) Andrew Lloyd Webber posted a video blog at his site confirming he's going to do "The Phantom Of Manhattan", based around the Frederick Forsyth novella. He also says "The Master & Margarita" is on a backburner (or that's the impression I got anyway). So...

Looks like Phantom 2 is his next big one. This could SINK or SAVE him, IMO

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#2re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:19pm

The man still has several good, basically epic and extremely popular shows, so I don't think one horrible stinker is going to kill his career. His credibility has been put in question long before this show was talked about... I mean, how many of this last shows were not successes? Whether he writes something horribly absurd next, I'm not going to enjoy the original Phantom music any less (though a bit overdone, still majestic in person.)

Yes, this show sounds like an AWFUL idea, but the work he's done in the past still stands.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:56pm

Can anyone elaborate on the plot of this supposed sequel?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

musicalangel12
#3re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:04pm

I've read "The Phantom of Manhattan"...ignore the fact that at the end of the novel, Erik dies. This author follows Webber's version where the Phantom disappears. He reappears in Manhattan, now a famous opera composer. Christine, Raoul and their son come to Manhattan and Erik tries to contact her again especially since, if I remember correctly, there is a death threat against the family. There is also some mystery about the son that if you want to know, PM me and I'll tell you since it gives away the ending.

"Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good."--Terrence Mann

"Pretty much...if you've seen any shows that have a jerk boyfriend in that show...I'm that guy."--Richard H. Blake

Diane: Aww, you are such a chick flick. I would totally pay $12 to see you. (Kristin Chenoweth on "Ugly Betty") http://musicalangel12.blogspot.com <-- my blog. Give it a read, please.

rockfenris2005
#4re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:39pm

Here is the blurb from the Forsyth book:

"As 'The Phantom of the Opera' draws to its breathtaking climax, the Phantom - one of the most mysterious and romantic figures ever created - carries Christine, the young opera singer, and victim of his obsessive love, into the labyrinthine depths of the darkened Paris Opera House. Pursued by her fiance and a vengeful mob, the Phantom disappears into the shadows, never to be seen again. Until now...

In one of the most unexpected and brilliantly conceived fictional departures, master storyteller Frederick Forsyth picks up the story, following the Phantom's miraculous escape to New York where he begins a new and secret life, carving out for himself a kingdom of fortune and power - a life where he constantly watches but is never seen.

As he realizes one of his most ambitious dreams - to build the greatest and most glittering opera house in the world so he plans to lure Christine, by now a famous and celebrated diva, to perform his new creation. In a climax of explosive triumph and tragedy, 'The Phantom of Manhattan' continues the brilliant and evocative legend of the Phantom, and gives the world the sequel for which it has long been waiting."

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#5re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 12:41am

"The Phantom of Manhattan' continues the brilliant and evocative legend of the Phantom, and gives the world the sequel for which it has long been waiting."

This blurb is full of it, and I think ALW is too. The book was deservedly unsuccessful; most fans disliked it; many hated it.

I would bet that most of the feedback he got from fans was negative, but when has he ever paid any attention to fan opinion.

He plans to make some changes to the plot as soon as he can get ahold of "Freddie" (Forsyth), and that can be only good, but I hate the whole idea of a sequel. The original show ends perfectly.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing that can come of this sequel is a couple more good ALW tunes.
ALW's video blog

C is for Company
#6re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 12:46am

"The man still has several good, basically epic and extremely popular shows, so I don't think one horrible stinker is going to kill his career."

I agree he has several good shows that are even epic, but come on, ONE horrible show? The Woman in White, Bombay Dreams, and Starlight Express weren't exactly fantastic. I believe MargoChanning posted the list of actual financial successes Webber has had and it was surprisingly only a few productions.

BDrischBDemented
#7re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:15am

The book is terrible. I was struggling to read the whole thing. Any reputation it has as such is well deserved.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:35am

I agree he has several good shows that are even epic, but come on, ONE horrible show? The Woman in White, Bombay Dreams, and Starlight Express weren't exactly fantastic.

It may not have been fantastic, but Starlight Express was mildly successful on Broadway and closed one of the longest running musicals in London. and I believe it did okay here on the road and in Vegas too.
Updated On: 3/2/07 at 01:35 AM

Color and Light
#9re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:45am

"The Phantom of Manhattan" is possibly one of the worst and most ridiculous books I've ever read, and I do not say that lightly. I'm no fan of ALW's Phantom of the Opera, but I do enjoy a few of his shows and absolutely nothing deserves to be followed up by a show based on that brick of baked sh*t.

Stop looking at my charisma.
Updated On: 3/2/07 at 01:45 AM

mcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
#10re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:04pm

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

The Phantom of Manhattan is possibly the worst book I've ever read - it's not even worth the paper it's printed on. Between the changing 1st person narratives to the bland ending, it's poorly written and confusing to follow.

If it were fanfiction, I'd dismiss it as a feeble attempt at continuing the Phantom story, but seeing that it's written by a reputable author, it makes me wonder if he read the original novel. Also, considering the fact that ALW has endorsed this book makes me shudder at the thought of musicalizing this story.

Quoting the last line in the musical "It's over now, the Music of the Night" - it's best to leave well enough alone. Why would he risk tainting the one true financial success he has? I'd rather he focus on getting Sunset Blvd. on the big screen.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#11re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:11pm

Why doesn't he just hire a ghost writer, forsake any shred of credibility he has left, and dedicate the rest of his life to judging second rate talent competitions?

yr ronin,
joey

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#12re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:30pm

Why do people act like he wrote "Bombay Dreams?"

Anyway, this is a HORRIBLE idea because the book is one big stinker. And is it ever confirmed in the original novel that Erik was indeed dead? I know he falls into the river (or something to that effect) and people think he is dead, but does it actually say it? It's been a long time since I read it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

JasonM12480
#13re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:32pm

Well, if he can lure Hal Prince back to direct this one, get a good lyricist, possibly throw in a few familiar themes from the previous "Phantom", and make sure that the book is solid and intelligent, he may not fail. Let's not pass judgement until (and if) it happens. No matter what anyone thinks about "Phantom of the Opera", it is a mega-hit, and the longest running show on Broadway - obvioiusly, they got it right the first time around.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#14re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:34pm

But the original novel was 150% better than the one he is planning to base the sequel off of.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Wildcard
#15re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:36pm

As far as I remember, the story of the "Phantom of Manhattan" was the original plot of ALW's Phantom 2, before the book was even published. However, for some reason, the musical didn't come to fruition and all we got from it was "The Heart is Slow to Learn". They just turned the idea into a book and that is why it serves more as a sequel to the musical than to Gaston Leroux's original book.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#16re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:38pm

I am so glad he changed "The Heart is slow to learn" into "Our Kind of Love" <---God, that is a gorgeous song.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:41pm

I am not going to condemn this yet as I have no idea how he intends to adapt it for the stage. I am very skeptical however.
Question - Do any of you think he could Sarah Brightman back? Is she too old?
If he got Hal Prince, Sarah, and, dare I say it, Crawford back
there would be a lot of interest.

....but the world goes 'round

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 1:52pm

Andrew Lloyd Webber did not write Bombay Dreams.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

SporkGoddess
#19re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 2:04pm

spiderdj82: Um, the last line of the novel basically is "Erik is dead." re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update

URGH, don't get me started on the Phantom of Manhatten. I hope Gaston Leroux rises from the dead and crushes ALW. It's bad enough what he did to his novel the first time; this is just criminal.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#20re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 2:24pm

/me dies a little more on the inside.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#21re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 2:26pm

spork--Oh! Again, I haven't read it in a VERY long time. haha.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#22re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 2:26pm

spork--Oh! Again, I haven't read it in a VERY long time. haha.

C is for Company
#23re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/2/07 at 4:08pm

Who said that ALW wrote Bombay Dreams, I missed that.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#24re: The Phantom Of Manhattan Update
Posted: 3/4/07 at 2:08pm

It's second-hand news, but I heard that ALW appeared on BBC1 Sunday morning (March 4) and was asked if he was working on anything new at the moment. He said, "yes" but refused to say what it was. He did say that he had a producer for it but no lyricist. He said he was off to NYC next week to meet people about this new project.

The project could be The Master and Margarita, but considerng the recent blog, it sounds more like the POTO sequel. I have a feeling he would find it easier to get a producer to sink money into that rather than a show based on a comparatively unknown and very bizzare novel.