Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:58am

At the Tony Awards this year

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#1re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 11:02am

just a guess....
the nominated musicals?
(I don't think its been announced yet:))

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

timote316
#2re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 11:22am

They haven't been announced yet, but probably all those nominated for best musical, and probably La Cage and Sweet Charity, as those are the only two from Best Revival still running.

JbaraFan1
#3re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:50pm

Bit of DRS / Tonys news on Greg's web site ... little over halfway down the page.
Tonys/ DRS info at GregoryJbara.com

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#4re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:54pm

Thanks Jbarafan!

I assumed it would be Dirty Rotten Number. Just goes to show you that you never know!!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

MissNY
#5re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 5:08pm

Same here, I never thought they would really do GBS... not that I'm complaining. Can't wait and thanks for the news

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#6re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 5:17pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=851515&dt=052605042658

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=851514&dt=052605120856

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

MargoChanning
#7re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 5:58pm

Too bad. GBS is by far my LEAST favorite number in the show.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 6:02pm

I agree with Margo. I heard so much about this number, and when i saw the show, was baffled by the hype. Not a bad song, but many more superior numbers in the show.

Plum
#9re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 6:06pm

"Great Big Stuff" started off strong, but it's not my favorite number in the show. Unfortunately, my favorite songs in the score don't really show off the ensemble or the Best Actor in a Musical favorite. Well, except "Love Is My Legs," which gives away too much plot and would probably be misinterpreted as an earnest (if laughable) love song out of context.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 06:06 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#10re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 6:09pm

aaah love is my legs. LOVE this song. i wish that they could perform it but yea, it would give away a lot of the plot.

MargoChanning
#11re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 6:18pm

It just seemed logical to me that they would do "Dirty Rotten Number." It shows off the two big stars to great advantage, it doesn't give away any plot points (it really sort of summarizes the whole overall tone of the show), and it's a great song that all, but stopped the show the night I saw it (about two minutes of applause). It unfortunately doesn't show off the ensemble, but the general rule for Tony performances is that if you have a showstopper that works out of the context of the show, you go with that. It'll sell tickets. Not sure a quasi-rap number like GBS does a good job of representing the overall tone of the show.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

tpdc
#12re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 7:26pm

I'm surprised DRS isn't doing Dirty Rotten Number as well. It came off nicely when they did it on the Today Show. And as Margo noted, it stopped the show at the performance I attended. Great Big Stuff certainly made a big impression but nothing else in the score is like it. Together with a heavily favored win for Butz, people who only see the Tonys might get the impression it's built around him when everyone above the title makes a huge contribution to the show.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#13re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 7:30pm

Just a thought... but maybe they're doing "Great Big Stuff" to throw everything behind Norbert?? It's a BIG showcase for him and this IS the best chance he's ever had at winning the Tony, (actually, screw chance, he's very likely to WIN in my book).

*shrugs*

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#14re: Who is performing
Posted: 5/26/05 at 7:41pm

i still wish that john norbert and sherie had a number together that wasn't a spoiler(the finale reprise of dirty rotten number) or doesn't make sense out of context (ruffhousen with schtuffhousen, the more we dance)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Videos