#1re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:25am

18 months - 2 years.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:26am

noooo, don't start this already!!

I know it's not great, but I love it, and I'm not losing another one just yet.

In all seriousness, though, I think it's going to be fine. It's obviously a show meant to withstand cast changes, even though they've certainly done a FINE job casting, but I'm hoping that logically, summer sales will pick up. Disney probably still very much has a monopoly of sorts of the "family-friendly" theatre scene, but I think (and hope) Chitty will draw in that crowd, too. There's stuff in it everybody will like, really. I don't think it'll run forever, but I think we can expect a decent, healthy run from it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/5/05 at 11:26 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#3re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:52pm

hey if it sucks, it sucks. i don't give it a year.

luvtheEmcee
#4re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:54pm

Out of curiousity, does anybody know how long the London run will have been by the time it closes in September?

gavrochegirl
#5re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:55pm

I think...3 years?? I'm not really sure.

What the puck?!

BwayTheatre11
#6re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:55pm

I wish people would actually have hope for Broadway shows. Seems like the only threads we get are How long will __________ last? or What is going into the ___________ after _____________ closes soon?

CCM '10!

luvtheEmcee
#7re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:58pm

Yes, BT11.

As I posted on the OTHER thread: I wish we could just give it a fair chance. It's only been open a bit over a month.

I can't believe there are two of these threads right next to each other. boo. 'cause, you know, the topic isn't touchy enough today. *grumbles about lacking nomination*

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#8re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 5:13pm

Not having seen it but going by the need for kid friendly shows about 2yrs maybe more.

Johnnytoc
#9re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:42pm

I'm with luvtheemcee. It's not the best show ever, but I love it. It is built well to withstand cast changes and I wish it a decent run.

Derek
#10re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:52pm

I'm saying a while. Def more than a year or 2. its great for families

adamnyc Profile Photo
adamnyc
#11re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:53pm

Hopefully at least one year if not more

"I want to tell you that Elvis would be proud." I said: "Priscilla, if I get 100 bad reviews, it won't matter because of what you said."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:55pm

It was half full when I was there a few weeks back. I think they are having trouble appealing to a wide audience.

WOSQ
#13re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 4:05pm

I do not think the show will turn a profit. That is not to say there won't be profitable weeks, but this is one expensive mother to keep open. It needs to generate 200 grand more per week beginning now for it to remotely move into the black.

The night I was there the kids were hating Act One until the car started flying. Act One is pretty bad. Act Two is better but only marginally. I saw it on a weeknight and there were a lot of empty seats. I hope it is doing better at matinees.

There's not a whole lot of magic there.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#14re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 4:13pm

Hopefully, it will soon choke on its own exhaust.

TheaterLover 2
#15re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 4:47pm

A huge part of the orchestra was empty when I was there .... so we'll see....i have a bad feeling though.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 4:49pm

Isn't their a rumor that Disney wants to transfer Lion King to the Hilton and give Mary Poppins the Amsterdam?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#17re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:08pm

I dont see it lasting through the winter...after the holidays sometimes...it MAY hit a year, but if its lucky!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:09pm

THe running costs must be extraordinary.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#19re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:10pm

The rumors for Mary Poppins are that it is going to go into the Palace and kick All Shook Up out.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:10pm

I've heard that one too. There are 2 seperate rumors.

evic
#21re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:33pm

Like that other piece of schlock from London, Bombay Dreams, this will last 8 months and lose a bundle- Poor Gillian Lynne- she relies so much on those royalties- yeah right

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#22re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:39pm

I'd believe ASU getting the boot waaaay before Id believe they are moving their Kingpin LION KING anywhere other than the NEW AMSERDAM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#23re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:43pm

I agree esp that the new amsterdam holds 1801 and the hilton holds 1807 so there would be no reason for the move from a capacity point of view.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#24re: How long will CHITTY LAST?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:45pm

I hope CHITTY CHITTY lasts for at leasts 5 or 6 years, but I don't know if this will become true.

I think what the London production is doing is smart, using there sets for the UK Tour.

Videos