A guy singing Defying Gravity?

fiyero8132
#0A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:24am

What do you guys think about a guy singing the solo version of Defying Gravity from the selections book for an audition or vocal recital or anything (an octave lower of course!)? What do you think the reaction would be? I really love that song. Give me your honest opinions.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#1re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:26am

From what I've heard, the range of the notes in the song is very accessible to men. If you can do it, I'd say go for it.

This is my signature.

performess Profile Photo
performess
#2re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:26am

If you're able to sing it, then why not? There aren't any lyrics about being a female in it... If you're capable of singing it, than more power to you!! re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#3re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:29am

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. I've sung traditionally female songs for auditions and had very positive feedback. It can help because you are not being compared to every other Tom Dick or Jane. You do run the risk of having the casting director NOT agree with me...but if you sing it well, it can be effective.

That said, I am wondering if it is not a completely overdone audition song by now. It is hard to listen to the same few songs all day and casting directors can definitely resent that...just an added thought.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#4re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:30am

as long as you dont try to be a idina..be you..then you should have no problem.there is another danger..be cautious not come across to feminine..sorry to be blunt

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:32am

We have a guy here that does it at karaoke and bangs it out of the park. Almost sounds better then Idina on the obcr!

Just give the world Love.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#6re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:34am

There are plenty of songs written for men. Try one of them. re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?

fiyero8132
#7re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:37am

But I like Defying Gravity... If you don't have a specific reason why I shouldn't sing it then stay out of this thread please. I have no problem with people saying that I should not sing it but only as long as they have a REASON.

gavrochegirl
#8re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:38am

Well, I think it's okay to do, but it is sort of strange...

What the puck?!

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#9re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:44am

Wax Lion loves singing DEFYING GRAVITY. So do these guys"

http://www.sassytrade.com/FLAWLESSPRODUCTIONS.html

Go to the home page and scroll down. Hmmmm.

Love,
Wax Lion

IveGottaBeME
#10re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:48am

go for it.. there's nothing strange or wrong about singing it.. it's an awesome song that can really showcase your emotions.. very powerful. if the notes and everything sound good, do it.

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#11re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:48am

re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?

Wax Lion is speechless.

Love,
Wax Lion

paradox_error
#12re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:49am

Don't get sassy with me please. You asked for opinions, I gave you mine.

But I doubt you are a Raul Esparza. If you want to look like an idiot, it's your choice.

gavrochegirl
#13re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:50am

Gavrochegirl is feeling very strange.
Love,
gavrochegirl

What the puck?!

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#14re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:53am

paradox, the song is very available for men to sing; it's not all that difficult.

just because you're a man doesn't mean you can't sing a song.

i was singing "i will never leave you" for a class once and i said, 'i like this song but it's for women...' and my teacher said, 'if you're singing it, it's for you."

i think that's a pretty good philosophy to live by. if you can sing it, there's no reason why you shouldn't.

and i doubt he would look like an idiot simply because he's singing it; in fact, if you have the courage to break out of the box that way and do what you want to do, i say go for it.

so, fiyero, go for it.

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:54am

I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy singing the song, but aren't there enough people singing this already? This song is going to be as worn out as Memory.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#16re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:57am

Bistro Award winning cabaret performer David Gurland does a thrilling version of it.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

paradox_error
#17re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:03am

See, I'm against girls singing it, so why shouldn't I be against young men singing it?

Besides, there are MANY better songs to sing.

And Matt, it already IS a worn out as Memory...

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#18re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:12am

Yes, go for it! As long as the lyrics are gender neutral, and you can pull off the singing, I don't think there's anything wrong with singing a song that's originally sung by the opposite sex. I sang a "female" song for my Idol audition, and the judges didn't care.

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"
Updated On: 6/16/05 at 11:12 AM

mpaosong
#19re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:14am

I say go for it! Have you ever heard the Raul Esparza version? It can sound really good. However, I think in order to give it the same impact you have to change the key, not just sing it down the octive. Try the key they put it into for Raul. It makes it more "musically relative" to the version from the score.

Social*Dynasty
#20re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:19am

Marty Thomas did it and it was AMAZING...but Marty Thomas is also like, sub-human, and sings back up for Shoshana and Billy Porter on the regular basis, so if you don't have PRODIGOUS pipes I wouldn't do it. I do agree that if you're going to sing a woman's song, it shouldn't be on that's SO cliche (And I Am Telling You, ANYTHING from Jekyll and Hyde, or Wicked). Just my take on it.

cathyhyatt
#21re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:23am

'Defying Gravity' is a song that shouldn't be attempted by anyone (male or female) unless they can do and do it well. If you can sing the hell out of it I'd say go for it. I wish I could hear...I think it would be pretty interesting to hear a guy sing it.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#22re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:24am

Not that there is anything wrong with a guy singing it... but why do a song for a audition that at this point is so over done?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#23re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:24am

I've heard Raúl Esparza and Marty Thomas do it and they were both respectively amazing
If it speaks to you and you can sing the **** out of it, go for it

trpguyy
#24re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:27am

If you're auditioning for a summer community theatre group, or something similar, I bet whoever listens to the auditions haven't heard Defying Gravity ad nauseum. If you can sing it, do it.

Videos