NBC's The Slap

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 4:59pm

"I have never been struck in the face. As a 34 year old man I can tell you it would greatly upset me."

phantom8019
#26NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 5:09pm

I never was hit in the face. That is correct. I was hit in many other places and with objects.
We all have messed up crap that happened to us as kids. I am not special. Seems like you are trying to catch me in a lie. Get a life. I know what happened to me and I know it was wrong.

Updated On: 2/8/15 at 05:09 PM

Sutton Ross
#27NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 5:45pm

Um, Im not trying to catch you in anything. You didn't say you had been hit as a child. I understand you know what happened to you.

You seem to think coming on here and "warning" everyone about this show and how horrible it is, is somehow acceptable. It's legal in all 50 states for parents to physically correct their kids and permissible in 19 states for non-parents to do so in an educational environment. This show isn't anything compared to the level of violence we see daily on cable and even most network shows.

phantom8019
#28NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 6:00pm

I hinted at it in an earlier post on this thread:

"People, like myself, base their opinions not just on critical reviews but on their own experience, which may include a past of being beat as a child."

I figured most people can read between the lines there, right? I didn't want to make this about my personal story or turn it into the Oprah show, ok?

I am not warning anyone. People can watch what they want. In my opinion, there are classy ways to cover an issue like this and there are not so classy ways. I saw a trailer and read a review, and they seem to support each other that this is not classy, in my mind coupled with my own experience. Maybe my opinion is flawed or I am not giving it a chance, but I'm just a regular, flawed human being. You have to understand people will have strong feelings about how this is presented. This is what NBC wanted. It's not called the Rainbow Sunshine hour.

If you'd like to go through my posts and take more pull quotes, go for it. I never once warned anyone NOT TO WATCH THE EVIL CORRUPTING NBC SHOW. I just expressed my thoughts and my thoughts on abuse in general. I thought that's what message boards were for. If you'd like to provide an intelligent counter opinion as to why this is a good show, go for it. A lot of people are going to tune in, and I hope they get something good out of it.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 6:11pm

Just ignore, Su, phantom. You don't want to get past the tip of that iceberg.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#30NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 6:20pm

It's sad that this thread has veered so much. I think The Slap is very timely and a discussion that people have all the time about disciplining other people's children. The dynamics are rich. We have older folks that are all for it, younger 'helicopter parents' that are incensed by it, and then camps of parents that are ok with a slap or a spank. What's fascinating here are the dynamics and the way a situation like this unfolds.

The show is clearly not about child abuse, the perception of a disciplinary slap, which is still legal.

The cast is first rate and in all honesty, US network TV is so boring and rarely provocative enough. They are losing ground quickly to online and cable so they better do something.

Ill be watching. Parents are crazy, as we have seen in God of Carnage.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#31NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 6:22pm

It will probably veer back when the show actually airs.

Sutton Ross
#32NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/8/15 at 7:49pm

"which may include a past of being beat as a child."

That is not presented as fact, and no, I won't 'read between the lines' on that one. Saying you MAY have been through something doesn't necessarily mean you have been through it.

"If you'd like to provide an intelligent counter opinion as to why this is a good show, go for it."

The show hasn't aired, it's impossible to do that. But, I don't watch network television much, and especially don't watch shows with laughably shi*ty titles. I dig Lisa Cholodenko the most, though.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#33NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/10/15 at 5:27pm

This thread is hysterical.

For the record, the reviews have been fairly good (although at least one critic gave it a good review saying it will become must "hate watch" material.) http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-slap-2015

I hope Mellisa George does better reprising her role with an American accent than David Tennant did...

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#34NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/10/15 at 5:41pm

Is it possible to post a photo here without having to go through a third party service? I have a great picture of last night's Red Carpet gala for The Slap I think you all will find interesting. (I wasn't there, it was sent to me.)

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#35NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:19pm

The Australian miniseries was pretty good. The "slap" itself is more of a catalyst for the events that end up happening. It's a really cool character portrait piece. I think phantom, if you actually see the show and see how it's presented you'll feel a lot less vitriolic about it. There are so many points of view in the piece that whatever you believe personally, you can find a character to root for.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#36NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 1:15am

Isn't this basically God of Carnage?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#37NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 2:28am

This seems like such a bizarre choice for a miniseries from a major broadcast network in the US. Was the book a big hit? This is honestly the first time I've heard of it.

Gothampc
#38NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 10:21am

"Isn't this basically God of Carnage?"

Oh God, I hope not. That was actually my first thought. But God of Carnage was a fight between two children, so society's rules are different.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#39NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 10:33am

"The cast is first rate and in all honesty, US network TV is so boring and rarely provocative enough. They are losing ground quickly to online and cable so they better do something."

I agree with this, but the non-subscription networks have become lazy. Everyone will tune in to a well-written show, so the networks need to open their wallets and start hiring top notch writing talent.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#40NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 3:55pm

Scroll down (just a little) for slideshow of the red carpet for The Slap. The photo I wanted to post yesterday (but couldn't) was of Uma Thurman. I almost didn't recognize her.

THE SLAP Red Carpet Updated On: 2/11/15 at 03:55 PM

EricMontreal22
#41NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 4:16pm

Horse, I think the book was a big hit in Australia. The miniseries certainly was--it became a big talking point.

But all I can think of right now is the Broadchurch/Gracepoint comparison and how poorly on every level (production, ratings, etc) that turned out. ABC also has the ten episode Secrets and Lies (original title,) another child murder mystery but with Ryan Philippe which is also based on an Australian miniseries that was a bit of a pop culture phenomenon there.

Gothampc
#42NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 4:25pm

Oh wow, the original had Sophie Okonedo? I have to see it because I love her work.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#43NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 4:46pm

I had no idea that Secrets and Lies is a remake of another show as well. We really seem to be mining Australian TV lately.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really liked Gracepoint. Thought Anna Gunn was understated and effective. Never had an issue with Tennant's accent.

I know Rake was a HUGE flop here, but I also really liked the FOX remake. Isn't that going into season 3 or 4 in Australia?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

EricMontreal22
#44NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 5:50pm

Yeah, it's interesting that Australia suddenly seems to be having these buzzy shows.

I admit I didn't stick around to watch all of Gracepoint--after getting past the novelty of seeing so much of my city on the screen, it just wasn't worth it for me. And I heard from friends that the "it will have a different ending to the mystery" was pretty much misdirection--there was a different *detail* to it. But I *love* Broadchurch (really enjoying the second season,) so I'm sure that plays a huge part--and I don't envy Anna Gunn, who is an actress I admire, having to compete with the memory of Olivia Colman's performance. Whizzer, I'm gonna assume you didn't see Broadchurch first--. Which of course is I assume what these networks are hoping with all of these remake "event series," that suddenly seem to be in vogue but only sometimes seem to be a success. I'm not sure if that's always a problem with remakes, but often, especially when on *network* American tv which can get away with less than most major UK or Australian TV, the remake can't help but seem watered down for a wider audience.

Of course there is House of Cards (granted, basically a cable update, and of a show that's many years old in the UK so maybe there was enough distance there for fans to not be upset.) And David Fincher, who helped adapt Cards, is now remaking the UK sci-fi show, Utopia, for HBO with Gone girl author Gillian Flynn--certainly buzzier names than you usually get as writers for the network tv remakes of foreign shows. I loved Utopia but, I admit, I am curious to see what they do. (On the other hand, I have little interest for A&E's remake of the French series The Returned.)

I've only seen some of the Aussie Rake--maybe 6 or so random episodes--and watched one episode of the Fox remake. The Australian series is often borderline over the top, but it seemed to manage to still keep things believable compared to the remake. It also had more prominent female characters (from what I could tell...)

EricMontreal22
#45NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 6:02pm

I also admit, when *network* tv in the US adapts these series as "event" series (as they are being now referred to in industry magazines and even ads,) I worry about the usual network problem of--if it's a hit, wanting to continue the mystery, or whatever, for another season.

Broadchurch in the UK was written as a trilogy of seasons that intertwine, so that's probably a different case (and no matter--we will not get another Gracepoint.) But The Slap and Secrets and Lies were huge Australian hits that, despite their success, managed to stick to one season and just tell that story. If one of these is a success in the US, will they try to milk it for more?

Under the Dome was not a remake of a foreign show, of course, but was advertised as a self contained, limited series. It did surprisingly well (which baffles me, as I lost interest midway through the first season,) and so was renewed to, apparently, extremely diminishing results. While networks in the US are trying more adventuresome formats, to an extent anyway, I'm not sure I really trust any of them as of yet to end a hit series where and when it was meant to end.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#46NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 7:53pm

Eric, you're right- I haven't watched Broadchurch, and perhaps that was how I was able to enjoy Gracepoint. Still, I found it engrossing and well-acted all around.

The FOX Rake had lots of female presence. People were trying to compare it to House, but a lawyer, and I disagree. It felt much closer in tone to Ally McBeal, especially with all the crazy cases. I was truly sad when the series ended.

I remember when they announced Under the Dome as a limited series. CBS did the same Extant, which also got renewed for another season. It's a shame you gave up on Under the Dome, or as my friends and I affectionately call it Under the Dumb. Season Two was so deliciously wacky and bad that it almost reached the heights of such modern masterpieces as Hostages and The Following (praise joe!). (There was a new character named Rebecca Pine, who was a high school science teacher and she knew EVERYTHING about science and engineering. One moment she was trying to exterminate 1/3 of the town due to a food shortage and an episode later she was making a medical concoction out of Lima beans- she of course found several cans in some pantry!)

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

FindingNamo
#47NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 8:21pm

According to the credits, Lisa Cholodenko is only involved with the pilot. I guess my hopes for something as enjoyable as Olive Kittredge aren't as likely to be met.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#48NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 8:38pm

The subject, its presumed treatment and Ms. Cholodenko are reasons I'm tuning it. This is the only thing arriving on the networks that intrigues me. It seems especially well cast, with Quinto, Sarsgaard and Sadoski, three actors less likely to end up on prime time, all superb.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

EricMontreal22
#49NBC'S THE SLAP
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:02pm

Namo, Cholodenko directed the first two episodes. Even with cable tv, an 8 episode series usually doesn't have the same director do more than two. I was wondering what her involvement otherwise was as well--she's listed as an Exec Producer--but one of 6 so it may just be that all the directors get that credit. Jon Robin Baitz is showrunner for the US version... I mostly liked early Brothers and Sisters when he was doing that role there--though I enjoyed his blog more about how much he hated every note from ABC ("We need a young, attractive blonde character!") and of course he bailed from his own show early on because he got so fed up--but I guess with this he's hoping the series will be in the can before NBC can offer any notes...

Videos