pixeltracker

Shootings! Shootings! Shootings! Today's and tomorrow's shootings!- Page 23

Shootings! Shootings! Shootings! Today's and tomorrow's shootings!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#550today's shootings
Posted: 6/19/15 at 11:07pm

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#551today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 12:14pm

I'm getting tired of hearing that people need guns to protect themselves. ANOTHER story where someone does and there was no 'bad guy". Boyfriend Accidentally Shoots Boyfriend. In The Face.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 6/21/15 at 12:14 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#552today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 12:17pm

Or this: Murder-suicide of Tulane law students: 'Nobody saw this coming'

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#553today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 1:18pm

President Hilary Clinton just delivered an incredible speech about racism in the United States. 

TheatreDiva90016
#554today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 1:26pm

Of course she did.  She's running for POTUS.

and I'm sure she spent most of the time reading her script.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#555today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 1:41pm

It sure as hell didn't sound like she was reading from a script. It sounded like she was PISSED. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#556today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:07pm

Buzzfeed has a huge story about Roof's website.

I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I literally got chills reading it. It made me queasy (again, literally). I couldn't go on.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 6/20/15 at 03:07 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#557today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:20pm

http://mic.com/articles/121068/in-one-quote-hillary-clinton-just-took-a-bold-stance-on-race-in-america

Just give the world Love.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#558today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:33pm

Is there a chance that males are genetically pre-disposed to kill?

I mean since time immemorial nations have dispatched armed young men to either restore calm, or protect their borders, or protect their national interests, or build empires.  Even states, municipalities, and corporations have exploited the killing gene.  And fire arms make those young men even more efficient killers.  Mankind has always used technology to gain a mechanical advantage over the environment or an adversary.

Gun ownership is part of our national DNA, right, wrong, or otherwise.  It's also a fundamental tenet of the "Dixie bro code".  How do we convince gun owners who feel compelled by their God to protect the homestead at all costs, to turn in those fire arms for a greater good?  Those men have their pride as well as a moral imperative to protect their wives, children, and property.

Having grown up in the old south, I would never attempt to burglarize any home or business down there.  My biggest fear would be that I wouldn't make it out alive.  And there are plenty of men down there who teach their wives and daughters how to shoot as both a hunting and survival skill.

I'm usually the last to dip into regional stereotypes, but there are folks in the country who love their guns as much as they love their God.  My worst fear now is that in the wake of the Charleston tragedy, folks are going to start showing up at places of worship strapped or at least one of the church deacons will be "locked and loaded" at all times.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

FindingNamo
#559today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:43pm

I think you covered most of the messy contradictions.  At this point is be happy if the gun lobby to shut their mouths rather than say things like "if everybody brought a gun to church" there would be nomore problems. 

"Put away your swords," said Jesus Christ, Superstar. "Why are you obsessed with fighting?"

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#560today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:43pm

^This seems a bit rambling but to try and answer your first question, YES!  Women should run the world, sure it would be a lot more bitchy but way less violent.  Notice it's always men who commit mass murder.

Stephanatic
Updated On: 6/20/15 at 05:43 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#561today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:55pm

Guilty of the charges of rambling...

The Pew Research Center report gets right to the point.  It ain't pretty.  Details at Gun Violence in America

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#562today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 6:09pm

An interesting read.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201506/anti-intellectualism-is-killing-america

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 6/20/15 at 06:09 PM

South Florida
#563today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 6:45pm

We can't repeal the second amendment PJ, there are too many citizens who will be freaked out by this.  The only path for Dems is to come out strong for tougher restrictions, and to appeal to the middle, this is important.  I fear this will not be an issue in the next election as both candidates will be for stricter gun laws.  Or even the primaries, the GOP candidates who are pro NRA will melt away.

Stephanatic

javero Profile Photo
javero
#564today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 7:03pm

Call me naive at 50+, but I believe that the 2nd amendment is the only one that could be repealed by 2/3 of state legislatures joining forces and bringing about the change.  Nevertheless, it would be extremely difficult to pull off and would set a precedent.  Odds are TX & GA would secede in the process.

I'm hopeful that I'll see it in my lifetime.  

One in four Americans want their state to secede from the U.S., but why?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#565today's shootings
Posted: 6/20/15 at 9:29pm

The repeal of the Second Amendment is necessary, but it's going to happen in our lifetime, and it will require a Second Civil War more bloody than the first.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#566today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 12:55am

Yes, we need better gun laws, but that is not the crux of this shooting. Racism is. It is just amazing me how people are sidestepping talking about the real reason this man walked into a black church and killed black people. He is a racist. Discuss that. Post articles on that. And this is not directed at everyone but I am just seeing this on a lot of social media sites and it, as a black person, is upsetting.  JMO

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/21/15 at 12:55 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#567today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 6:58am

It goes against my politics to focus on the killer, but it's consistent with my curiosity about human beings and their too often perverse trajectories to want to know telling details.  To me, it's this young man's room.  A textbook example of middle class white male privilege, the same plaid spread-covered bed he likely slept in since childhood, the cozy, comfortable trappings we see in films, even cartoons (Andy's in Toy Story 3 just before he heads to college).  He is a privileged, preserved child entering adulthood, treated as he always has been: with possessions and distracting playthings. Rock band posters have switched out for framed mirrored liquor ads seen in Bennigans.  When he had no discernible ambition, not even a fast food job, when he was a dropout adrift with two arrests, at least one a felony, his parents gave him seven hundred dollars for a gun.  A new plaything.  The mindset that led them to that decision, coupled with these innocuous shots of him inhabiting his child cave masquerading now as a man cave should give us all pause.  And make us shudder.  An unaccomplished, vicious miscreant, still with a 12 year-old's haircut, was awarded the ultimate toy, and the story is ours.  We do need to know who he is and the appalling context for his behavior. The Trayvon Martin case pushed his buttons? A case in which a white zealot-murder walked free after cold blooded murder of an African-American man? Attention should be paid.  This boy is everywhere. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 6/21/15 at 06:58 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#568today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 7:47am

Required reading: http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/06/20/415878789/dylann-roof-and-the-stubborn-myth-of-the-colorblind-millennial

Dylann Roof and the Stubborn Myth of the Colorblind Millennial

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 6/21/15 at 07:47 AM

South Florida
#569today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 8:09am

Uncageg, of course it's about racism, first and foremost.  What can we do as citizens to combat racism, aside from disassociating with them or condemning them.  We can't pass laws that make it harder to be a racist, but the other thing is treatable.

Stephanatic

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#570today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 9:22am

"Gun ownership is part of our national DNA, right, wrong, or otherwise."

That's just crazy talk. People used to say the same thing about slavery.

FindingNamo
#571today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 12:33pm

"What can we do as citizens to combat racism, aside from disassociating with them or condemning them."

I've posted about this many times and in many threads on here over the years and the first step is a difficult one: White people have to take a fierce moral inventory of our own racism and examine the small and huge ways we benefit from institutionslized racism. It's not easy and it's just the first step.

But every single time I've mentioned it, some white people get apoplectic. That is how deep the denial is in our DNA. The folks who have their work cut out hoe them are the ones who relexively post "I'm not racist," "I don't see race," or "People should be judged by the content of their character."

We don't have to take it personally that white people have thrived in this oppression of systemic racism for over 200 years. But if we're really wondering "what can we do?" examining ourselves is the first step.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#572today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 12:45pm

I've been wondering: What's the second?

FindingNamo
#573today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:44pm

Then we see how we can apply what we know in our real lives. I posted not too long ago something I do in my work life that I took from Sarah Schulman's suggestion. About 12 hours after I posted it That Troll made fun of me for it. If I'm asked to present on a panel regarding my work I tell them I made a choice years ago not to present on all-white panels. Small step, makes a difference. Also, I pinch myself so I don't mansplain or talk over others. If people of color are silent during a panel discussion I ask open ended questions to clear some space for them to speak if they want to. That's one way I can use my white privilege to clear some space and hand it over. 

I have a commitment to assembling diverse teams when I hire people.

I try (TRY) to challenge people's subtly racist actions, but as we've seen, people get very defensive. 

FindingNamo
#574today's shootings
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:49pm

It is not easy to say to myself, "What am I putting out into the world and how does it support the systems that keep women, people of color, sexual minorities, the disabled, the differently gendered in places if subordination to the dominant (in every sense of that word) culture?".

And if I get something right, I don't ask for approval from those I'm trying to include. I don't want to be like those guys Chris Rock makes fun of when they brag they're good dads. "You're supposed to he a good dad, what do you want, a cookie?"

Videos