Weekly SNL thread

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1400Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:46am

Sporadically funny tonight. Once the ISIS sketch came on I switched stations. Somehow a comedy sketch on this ain't funny. It should be interesting to see the negative feedback they get on this. Whoever thought this up needs help.The fact it actually reached the air is amazing

Poster Emeritus

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1401Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:56am

I find Rock unfunny. Just like this episode. I am not easily appalled, but his opening monologue about terrorism did it to me. I was offended. I cannot remember the last time a comedian offended me with their attempt at humor.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1402Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:16am

He started to cross the line in the opening monologue. The ISIS sketch was the straw that broke the camel's back

Lorne had his head up his ass on this one. The flak will fly on this one.

Poster Emeritus

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#1403Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:31am

We were getting "edgy Chris" not "comfortable Chris". He's been that way now 4 a while w his stuff but usually he can mix up a bit . I don't think the time allotment worked in his favour.

I liked the ISIS bit but then I like anything that hits Kevin O'leary .

For me the thing was the timing - it was off in SO many bits- had they been faster, found their groove I think a lot of things would have played better. The whole Black Bickersons looked like they were going up on their lines and not in a funny way. ( like in Update)
But that's jes me.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1404Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:47am

I laughed from the minute it started through when I fast forwarded through Prince and then laughed to the end. The squabbling couple sketch didn't really work, maybe due to whatever happened when Leslie Jones seemed to get lost for a second, or maybe it just wasn't very good. I feel like most of the people in this thread watch a different SNL than I do, because I loved this and wanted to kill myself during the Jim Carrey episode.

Everybody wants an edgy SNL until they get an edgy SNL.

Updated On: 11/2/14 at 01:47 AM

blueroses
#1405Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 11:08am

Swiftamine was hilarious!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1406Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 11:11am

Overall I thought it was a good episode. So far this season though, I feel like Vanessa, Kate and Aidy have been pushed back to supporting cast members who have gotten almost no screen time which is driving me crazy.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#1407Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:36pm

"Lorne had his head up his ass on this one. The flak will fly on this one."

Nothing will piss Lorne off more than people saying SNL was edgy and went too far... he may lose the show over this episode, I'm sure.

I am confused why articles keep saying it is "historic" that Prince played one long song instead of two short ones. Literally, I guess it is true, if he is the only person in the show's history to have ever done it. But who cares? So, he got to play for 8 minutes instead of 4 minutes twice?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1408Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:21pm

I think that's part of the historic factor- the other part being that no one before Prince has ever been just given a showcase slot, not opportunities to plug their new single or album with two tracks.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#1409Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:37pm

As historic as the Spice Girls having their second song cut after dress!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1410Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 5:26pm

The best thing was the Go Pro camera parody.

Something tells me those who lost loved ones on 9/11 did not find it ( the monologue)edgy and humorous. Those who lost relatives to ISIS and those whose loved ones were beheaded probably missed the joke as well.

Some of the monologue was funny and spot on. A lot of it was not.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/2/14 at 05:26 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1411Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 5:27pm

What is this something that's talking to you?

FindingNamo
#1412Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 5:30pm

"Lorne had his head up his ass on this one. The flak will fly on this one."

This prediction brought to you by the man who predicted "Colbert is toast" after the phony racism charge. Colbert was picked to be Letterman's successor not long after.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#1413Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 5:56pm

I lost a sister in law on 9/11. Didn't find Chris Rock's monologue offensive. Found it just not funny. I have never been a fan of his humor.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1414Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 6:07pm

He's no Joan Rivers, that's for sure!

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#1415Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 6:16pm

I actually liked Rock's monologue - but he has never been one to make me laugh out loud, but instead, to tilt my head to the side and then kind of nod.

I found the ISIS skit kind of stupid, but found some of them good - especially the GoProbe and the Taylor Swift bit. Also, the joke training video at the end made me smile in an odd way.

FindingNamo
#1416Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 7:44pm

I'm not surprised the commentary on America's greed and hubris that was the basis of Rock's monologue completely eluded the obtuse Mr ______________ .

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#1417Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 7:56pm

I thought the Taylor Swift skit was one of the funniest in years. I laughed through that whole skit more than just about any skit in recent memory.

Of course, the skit after that - the couples thing - was also one of the worst skits I can remember.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#1418Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:00pm

Chris Rock was spot on with the end and the anti gun talk. They threatened him for being at that event, so many losers.

Stephanatic

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1419Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:10pm

In Mr _______________'s defense(!), I don't think he was the only one.

FindingNamo
#1420Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:17pm

Satire is not ______'s metier. Obviously, the Shark Tank sketch was an attempt at looking at the amorality of capitalism and TV's uncritical boosterism of the "entrepreneur," no matter what damage these self-made captains of industry wreak on the world.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1421Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:20pm

I liked the Jesus's birthday stuff in the monologue.

FindingNamo
#1422Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:36pm

Me too!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1423Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:45pm

AV Club loved the monologue, but gave the rest of the show a C-

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1424Weekly SNL Saturday Night Live Thread
Posted: 11/3/14 at 3:39pm

Thank god you let us know!

Videos