pixeltracker

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5- Page 15

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5

JbaraFan1
#350RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/7/13 at 8:56pm

I watch the show (this season is my first) at the Logo site, thanks to y'all getting me interested in it. So happy that Jinkx won!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#351RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/8/13 at 11:18am

Hey squirrelfriends in or near NYC this July...

A few more dates have been added for Jinkx Monsoon's show THE VAUDEVILLIANS at the Laurie Beechman!

RuPaul's Drag Race Winner Jinkx Monsoon Premieres
THE VAUDEVILLIANS
Limited run Off Broadway Engagement runs July 9 - 26 at The Laurie Beechman Theatre

RuPaul's Drag Race favorite Jinkx Monsoon makes her New York debut with the premiere of THE VAUDEVILLIANS, a musical comedy show co-starring composer and musician Richard Andriessen. THE VAUDEVILLIANS will be at The Laurie Beechman Theater (inside West Bank Cafe at 407 West 42nd Street -- at Ninth Avenue, accessible from the A,C,E,N,R,V,F,1,2,3 trains at 42nd Street). Performances will run July 9 - 26, schedule varies. Tickets are $22 (plus a $15 food/drink minimum.) A $40 VIP ticket including priority seating and meet-and-greet is also available. To purchase tickets, call 212-352-3101 or visit www.SpinCycleNYC.com.

Throughout the 1920's Kitty Witless and Dr. Dan Von Dandy toured speakeasies and burlesque theaters through the United States as THE VAUDEVILLIANS, wowing audiences with their edgy, original music. Unfortunately, one day, tragedy struck. While touring through Antarctica, they were victims of a devastating avalanche and were buried under two tons of sleet and snow - instantly freezing them alive. But thanks to Global Warming, they recently thawed out only to discover that pop artists of various decades had stolen their music and passed it off as their own. Much to their shock and chagrin, songs including "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (which was originally about the Woman's Suffragette Movement), and "Drop it Like it's Hot" (which was originally about the invention of the electric iron) had become hits for lesser artists. Now, at long last, they are taking to the stage to reclaim their songs, performing their music as originally composed.

Performances will be presented as follows:
• Tuesday, July 9 at 9:30pm
• Wednesday, July 10 at 9:30pm
• Thursday, July 11 at 9:30pm (sold out)
• Friday, July 12 at 11:59pm (sold out)
• Saturday, July 13 at 9:30pm (sold out)
• Sunday, July 14 at 7:30pm (sold out)
• Sunday, July 14 at 9:30pm (sold out)
• Tuesday, July 16 at 9:30pm (sold out)
• Wednesday, July 17 at 9:30pm (sold out)
• Thursday, July 18 at 7:30pm (sold out)
• Tuesday, July 23 at 9:30pm
• Friday, July 26 at 7:30pm

Jinkx Monsoon is the alter ego of Jerick Hoffer, who graduated with a degree in theatrical performance from Cornish College in Seattle. With ten years experience on stage, Hoffer is a seasoned Portland-born entertainer who has captured the attention of his native northwest region. As early as 2006, Hoffer appeared as the lead dancer in the world's largest drag queen chorus line, which made the Guinness Book of World Records. By 2012, he had advanced to roles in Seattle theaters, playing Moritz in "Spring Awakening" (produced by Balagan Theatre) and Angel in "Rent" (produced by The 5th Avenue Theatre). Earlier this year, Hoffer played Hedwig in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (produced by Balagan Theatre and Seattle Theatre Group).

According to Hoffer, the creation of Jinkx was complicated. "From the movie Death Becomes Her, I was inspired by the crazy extent vain women will go for eternal youth, beauty, and power. Through Lucille Ball I saw how a woman can bring you to tears with laughter with nothing more than a look. Through the Disney villains I was raised with, I saw how powerful a woman can be, and yet so deliciously evil. And through my mom, I saw not only the trials and tribulations a single mother faces every day, but also the strength and determination a woman can possess when she is trying to provide a bright future for her children."

broadwayjim42
#352RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/8/13 at 2:37pm

Extend one or two more weeks please. Going to be there August 2-5 and would kill to see this.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#353RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/9/13 at 5:52pm

Alec Mapa warms up the crowd

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#354RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/19/13 at 8:22am

Amazing Video of Jinkx Monsoon doing All That Jazz with tap. I've seen videos of her doing All That Jazz before. But this is a version that will blow you away.
JINKX DOES ALL THAT JAZZ

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#355RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/19/13 at 3:39pm

I've avoided this thread for the longest time because I'm not a fan of drag as an art form and even less so of musical theatre. My preference has always been straight plays.

However, I must admit that after watching this season of Ru's show on demand, I've concluded that this Jinx character is a transcendent ARTIST. He has the it factor to take him thousands of miles beyond drag-queen-dom . I'm also willing to step out on a limb and suggest that if he had hit the scene before the very RuPaul, his star would have eclipsed Ru's.

I'm not hating on Ru but he arguably has been the beneficiary of good timing, a statuesque/model-like silhouette, and a little luck, notwithstanding hard work and tenacity. Everyone I know in show business cautions that it's not for the thin-skinned.

Back to Jinx, imho this fellow has the potential to become a breakout/mainstream star. Many of his season competitors came across as bitchy vacuous self-absorbed men-children with mommy fixations. Of all of them, RoXy (and Viviene) in drag are the ones who most resemble biological females to me so I found it telling that they were most often at odds early in the season.

The lady I watched the Ru marathon with called the Roxxy/Viviene drama "the battle of the pretty bitches". Please forgive the language, ladies. I'll get around to watching the previous seasons at some point for comparison.

Not to put too fine a point on it, I wouldn't pay a buck to see most drag queens perform but Jinx is the notable exception. I'd shell out top dollar to catch him work her magic in a good venue. He seems above the whole pageant queen, mean girls clique or ghoul in drag look. Jerick's talent is singular and for that I applaud him as Jinx Monsoon.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 5/19/13 at 03:39 PM

edgeofmysanity
#356RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 5/19/13 at 8:21pm

Though the video's not as close, this performance of Chicago very recently in Seattle is even more amazing...maybe due to more freedom from the lack of wardrobe malfunction and last minute change [poor sweet Jinkx! (-;]
Jinkx All That Jazz Seattle

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#357RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 6/13/13 at 3:32pm

New York Queens and Queen-lovers!

Four more performances of Jinkx Monsoon's THE VAUDEVILLIANS have been added to the Beechman run at the end of July/beginning of August! Get it!

The Vaudevillians

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#358RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/1/13 at 3:49pm

I just saw this on tumblr and thought it was intersting. From Willam's official tumblr:

gugu009 asked: Correct me if I'm wrong but I have a feeling why you were disqualafied from RPDR was because they didn't want to send Sharon or Phi Phi home because they were the rivals of the season and they wanted them to battle it out at the finally so they used you as a scapegoat

in response Willam wrote:

Do not think I would ever allow a game show to reduce me to being a scapegoat. I started ****, owned it from the beginning and was thrilled it all worked how i wanted it to go down. Sharon got to do her entrance twice and I could tell she was being pulled for or at least that it was NOT a fair competition. My reunion “performance” was an orchestrated gig that took 2 hours of meetings behind closed doors and had a script. They told me they wanted an emotional moment even. Ask Mariah, ask any of the girls that got bills under their doors the mornings they ended up lip synching (Mimi, Jiggly, Carmen, Delta and more). Producers are liars. It’s part of their jobs. If they tell you otherwise, they’re on the clock- and LYING. Especially the unprofessional ones that like to take to social media because they’re too chicken**** to do it in person when approached (i.e. Michelle Mills a.k.a. Meesh/Mush).

That being said, I look forward to appearing on a game show again, maybe even for World of Wonder- but this time as a host who doesn’t wear an earpiece and gets told what to say. I love and respect RuPaul but I love comedians who write their own material even more (But to be fair- even Joan Rivers has writers).

WILLAM

What exactly does he mean by the queens getting bills under their door? I've often heard him speak about how he supposed to be eliminated in the Dragazines challenge but he was kept on. Anyone know exactly what he's trying to say? The queens are told in advance "you'll go home this week" and the like?
Willam post

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#359RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/1/13 at 5:40pm

I LIVE FOR THIS!!!!

I've said from the beginning that Willam being on the show was strictly to raise her profile and they never would have let her win. That scene where she puked reeked (pun intended) of producer manipulation. Nice to see that she's finally able to admit that the whole "I broke the rules by f*cking my boyfriend" story was all a lie. I think her vocal stance against the show is probably the reason Vicky Vox isn't on the show next season.

It's nice to see someone speak out against the fact that all reality tv hosts rely on earpieces during filming (they're harder for men to hide having shorter hair). That practice annoys the sh!t out of me when it's so obviously that they're being fed lines. You would imagine Ru to be a more seasoned professional and come up with her own jokes.

The queens probably are told who will be going home each week. This show more than most definitely seems more planned out. They're going to keep in the villains that have rivalries with most of the cast but they'll never win (i.e. Phi Phi and RoXy). The producers pick the winner from the beginning and most of the time it's pretty obvious to the audience (i.e. Sharon and Jinkx).

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#360RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/2/13 at 8:38am

"I think her vocal stance against the show is probably the reason Vicky Vox isn't on the show next season. "

I was thinking this too. Vicky seems like a real winner and with Ru often tweeting about/to her and with Vicky's association with other former Drag Race queens I've often wondered why she wasn't offered a spot on season 6.

Can anyone clarify and what Willam means by queens getting bills under their doors?

nasty_khakis
#361RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/2/13 at 4:51pm

He means the queens got their final hotel bills under the door the morning before they even lip synced. They have to pay for any room service, movies, etc, production doesn't cover amenities. I've heard this before, actually but always as a rumor. They're checked out before even doing the final runway.

I really really wish Willam could say the real reason he was kicked off. He's basically admitted the "bf visiting" isn't the only reason. The conjugal nature of the visits wasn't even the issue, it was the accusation that he was bringing him things that helped in the competition. I never bought that excuse during the reunion simply because people know the queens go away. How else would they get those videos from home/make their phone call home, etc? Willam and a producer got into a huge fight on Facebook where he flat out said the reason he gave was one the producers said made THEM not look bad.

It's very evident during the Dragazines challenge there was producer meddling with Willam's remarks about wanting a better staff/what I was given to work with/hating the font too, etc. The game may not be entirely fixed, but producers definitely play favorites.

I don't care if Ru wears and earpiece or has writers. ALL hosts and almost all stand ups have them. Those quippy comments and questions Jon Stewart makes are not all him. Who cares?

Updated On: 10/3/13 at 04:51 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#362RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/2/13 at 6:57pm

It's very evident during the Dragazines challenge their was producer meddling with Willam's remarks about wanting a better staff/what I was given to work with/hating the font too, etc. The game may not be entirely fixed, but producers definitely play favorites.

I think this sums it up nicely. They go in with favorites, but it's up to that queen to maintain staying their favorite. They're not just vying for winning the competition, but vying for more fans that this show's audience allows them. That's ultimately why there doesn't seem to be hard feelings after the fact with the show. Everybody wins, whether you win the show or not. It's all about the publicity and fun.

nasty_khakis
#363RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/3/13 at 10:28am

I wish they would have explained in that Dragazine challenge who designed the covers. Did the queens do it all by themselves? Did they each get an hour in front of a design suite where they picked the fonts, the colors, the layout, etc? Or did they just get 10 minutes with a producer to quickly sketch it out. There have been other times (the perfume commercial, the book, etc) where I've wondered similar things, but the Dragazine challenge really puzzled me.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#364RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5
Posted: 10/3/13 at 10:46pm

They met with a designer to plan it all out.

Videos