DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#225DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 11:03am

The person I feel most bad for is poor Tom Hewitt, a talented and nice guy. He keeps finding himself in badly-written, badly-directed projects that do him no favors.

I thought that he had the potential to be pretty big once, but too many low-rent projects may have scuppered that possibility now. Fortunately, he works pretty regularly.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#226DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 11:11am

Tom Hewitt enjoys working with Des McAnuff, and Des enjoys working with Tom. I too thought Hewitt had the potential to be a much bigger actor (what a voice!), but as you said, he has consistently worked and has had his share of star turns also.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#227DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 12:03pm

To suggest, as Wilmington has, that I was trying to intimidate anyone is laughable. It is equally funny that he suggests that others do not do it is really funny . This board is littered with the corpses of those who have been attacked , on shows & personally, & who no longer post. I have tried to get them to change their mind via pm's but most just say it is to much & have never returmed.

I was basically trying to let this person know that some will get really in your face if you like a show they do not & vice versa. If I offended others who have a thin skin I humbly apologize. Now everything can go back to being sweetness & light on BWW.

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayMouth
#228DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:42pm

Hewitt was fantastic in this.  Such an understated, brilliant, natural performance.

What I noticed was that people on ATC said, before the reviews, "Dr. Zhivago was quite good, and it won't last long."  Now that the reviews are out, nobody has any love for it.  I saw it.  I got it.  I loved it! 

I noticed the same thing with "King and I."  Most people on ATC were not crazy about the production until after the reviews.  I enjoyed "King and I" enough, but I did not feel it came close to living up to the promise of the material.  And Ken Wantanabe can't sing.  To each his own, right?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#229DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:50pm

There are some posters for whom a rave review from the New York Times will get them to change their tune about a production they previously disliked and it works in reverse as well. I'm not sure what the psychology of that is but I've seen it happen.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#230DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:50pm

In Watanabe's defense, a talent for singing is actually probably an impediment for playing the King. Watanabe carries a tune as well as Brynner ever did. Personally, I couldn't understand at least half the words that came out of his mouth, but that's another topic.

And yet one more topic is what did they have to expose his quite pendulous moobs so often and prominently? Just because other actors have bared their (firmer) bosoms in the role doesn't mean that every actor must, does it?

CATSNYrevival
#231DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:15pm

It still bugs me that they haven't officially announced the cast album yet. If stage door gossip from cast members can be assumed factual then why are they holding off on the announcement?

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#232DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/1/15 at 1:54pm

I saw this last night and don't understand all the hate for I.  I loved it, was truly moved by it.  The score ibeautifu and acting was great.  I don't remember the movie so I am just responding to the musical version.  I really wish this had a chance.

team elphie
#233DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/1/15 at 5:39pm

what are you guys feelings on kelli barrett?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#234DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/1/15 at 7:33pm

She was fine but would have been better had they not taken all the love out of the part - one of my main gripes.

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayMouth
#235DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/2/15 at 11:43pm

I'm so glad you liked it, Pammylicious.  I was so moved, I didn't want to leave the theatre.  I was breathless in a way.  I'm so glad I got to see it before I was swayed by the reviewers.  I wish I could go back just to see it again.

I really liked Barrett--what a great voice!  I would tweak aspects of her performance, but that would just be a personal choice, not a "right" one.  It's a stellar cast, and I wish the Tony nominations had recognized some of them.

VintageSnarker
#236DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:20am

I'm finally going to the 92Y event tomorrow. Not sure if they're performing or just giving a talk.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#237DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:41am

Walking by the theater today I'm just surprised by how little signage they have up. There are big blank spaces in their marquees where you'd put quotes and whatnot. It makes it look like the show isn't even open.

CATSNYrevival
#238DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:47am

The shop on their official website has a section for "Books & Music" that is currently empty but just the fact that it's there could be taken as a good sign, yes? Might a pre-order option for a cast album being going up soon?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#239DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:52am

A cast album is no longer happening, I was led to believe today. 

CATSNYrevival
#240DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:58am

That's disappointing.

broadwayboy223
#241DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:59am

What!??! How were you led to believe that?

Jordan Catalano
#242DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 12:59am

It is, though not unexpected. 

broadwayboy223
#243DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:12am

I really hope your wrong. I've been waiting for a cast album

Jordan Catalano
#244DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:25am

Well its what I was told from someone in the show, so they would know. 

Updated On: 5/3/15 at 01:25 AM

CATSNYrevival
#245DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:30am

What do you think changed, Jordan? Previously, when you said Tam indicated there would be a cast album do you think he was just assuming there would be one and no contracts were signed or were the contracts signed and then the plans were scrapped after the reviews came out?

Jordan Catalano
#246DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:32am

I think the show is about to post their closing notice and spending the cash on a recording no longer would make any sense. 

broadwayboy223
#247DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:47am

Such a shame. The music is beautiful. I was looking forward to a nice recording

CATSNYrevival
#248DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 2:23am

It will be a shame if it goes unrecorded. It may not have done well this time around but I don't believe the blame can be placed solely on the music or lyrics. Without that CD there's no reference recording for regionals and no young aspiring director staging the future revisal in his or her bedroom passionately dreaming of one day giving the show a second chance.

StephieElise
#249DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 7:19am

I will be SO annoyed if there is no cast recording for this show! We were so close to getting an Australian cast recording (there were ads in the program and a wait list for it), but it was pulled at the last minute (from what I heard, due to one cast member not signing the contract...which could only have been one person). A lot of Aussie fans, including the Aussie Lara, will be very disappointed!

Videos