pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 10

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#225THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/6/17 at 11:47am

I was at Saturday's matinee and I thought the crowd was great and very receptive actually. The only problem was that there was still a line down the block to get into the theater at 1:55. The show still started on time but they need to do a better job of getting everyone in their seats.

That being said, I really, really enjoyed the show. The 1:40 flew. I don't think the show was slow or dragged at all. The cast is all-around terrific; Tony Shaloub always impresses me on stage, Katrina Lenk is as stunning as everyone says, and I loved Ari'el Stachel, Adam Kantor, and John Cariani.

The score is terrific ("Omar Sharif" and "Answer Me" actually made me pretty emotional) and I really can't see how anything will beat it for Best Score. It's not a show for everyone, and I do wonder how it'll do in the long run but I hope it has a long, healthy life. In a season with so many big, commercial shows coming it's  nice to have a small, well-written show like this on Broadway.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JSquared2
#226THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/6/17 at 12:39pm

little_sally said: "I was at Saturday's matinee and I thought the crowd was great and very receptive actually. The only problem was that there was still a line down the block to get into the theater at 1:55. The show still started on time but they need to do a better job of getting everyone in their seats.

If the show started on time --- how much of a "better job" are you looking for?  Do you want them to start the show BEFORE the scheduled start time?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#227THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/6/17 at 1:29pm

Are there any discounts available for this?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#228THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/6/17 at 1:41pm

Saw this Saturday night, really great night out! However I do feel like the show dragged a bit but I think that, thats just what the story is. I don't think the show being a bit slow has anything to do with the direction (actually I think the direction is quite good) but I just wish there was some sort of "umph" from the show in general. The energy felt just sorta slow, but I didn't entirely hate that, its about a town where nothing happens so. 

the good:

Katrina Lenk. Katrina Lenk. Katrina Lenk. She should and hopefully will win that Tony. She gives such a special, nuanced performance and she resembles a Israeli perfectly. Her dialect, emotion and movement is wonderful. She also has a wonderful voice as we all know. (she should be getting a bow on her own, not with the rest of the company but ok)

I thought Tony was pretty good, but his role has nothing super special to do so yea...

I thought with the material Adam Kantor was given, he does a great job. I felt sorta bad at first since he mainly has the same blocking for the entire show, but his performance is very deep and he has a wonderful voice. "Answer Me" is one of my favorite songs in musical theatre history.

Etai Benson and John Cariani are also great, but again nothing special. They just don't have so much material. 

The lighting is.....stunning. Visually this show is wonderful. I adore the use of the turntable, and the main "building" of the set in the center. 

Reminds me of ONCE a lot, this is definitely a contender for best musical...I just wish the producers chose the Booth or the Golden for this one as sitting in the back I sorta felt lost.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#229THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:30pm

For anyone who has questions about seating choices, here's a link to my pic and review of seat E 14 in the front mezzanine, from A View From My Seat:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/79359/Ethel+Barrymore+Theatre/section-Front+Mezzanine+Right/row-E/seat-14/

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#230THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:36pm

I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#231THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:42pm

Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

I’m seeing it Saturday at matinee from Front Mezzanine C101. I also heard on here that recent matinee show was full of tour groups that talked through whole show. It’s my only matinee this trip. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#232THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:48pm

Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

I have to admit, I felt a little disconnected. I watched the movie for the first time today, and I appreciated the story much more. I lost a lot of the nuanced emotional content in the mezzanine, because I wasn't able to see the actors' faces and expressions clearly enough.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#233THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:02pm

CT2NYC said: "Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

I have to admit, I felt a little disconnected. I watched the movie for the first time today, and I appreciated the story much more. I lost a lot of the nuanced emotional content in the mezzanine, because I wasn't able to see the actors' faces and expressions clearly enough.
"

My main reason for the seat I bought was it’s an aisle seat. Long legs and bad knees here. As I recall, there were no good aisle seats for in the Orchestra when I purchased. Do you know if I offered to pay the difference, if they’d upgrade me to Orchestra at box office? Or would I be better off contacting Telecharge? Also, how is leg room in non-aisle seats in Orchestra, anyone? It’s only 90 minute show so I could abide some discomfort. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#234THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:10pm

Miles2Go2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

"

My main reason for the seat I bought was it’s an aisle seat. Long legs and bad knees here. As I recall, there were no good aisleseats for in the Orchestra when I purchased. Do you know if I offered to pay the difference, if they’d upgrade me to Orchestra at box office? Or would I be better off contacting Telecharge?Also, how is leg room in non-aisle seatsin Orchestra, anyone? It’s only 90 minute show so I could abide some discomfort.
"

Telecharge will upgrade you without a problem. If you don't mind my asking, how much was your mezzanine seat?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#235THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:13pm

CT2NYC said: "Miles2Go2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

"

My main reason for the seat I bought was it’s an aisle seat. Long legs and bad knees here. As I recall, there were no good aisleseats for in the Orchestra when I purchased. Do you know if I offered to pay the difference, if they’d upgrade me to Orchestra at box office? Or would I be better off contacting Telecharge?Also, how is leg room in non-aisle seatsin Orchestra, anyone? It’s only 90 minute show so I could abide some discomfort.
"

Telecharge will upgrade you without a problem. If you don't mind my asking, how much was your mezzanine seat?
"

$173 total. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#236THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:18pm

Miles2Go2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Miles2Go2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Wick3 said: "I didn't know you can put seat reviews on there! That's awesome! I sat in that area a month ago and I agree with you. My friend and I rushed for it a week ago and got extreme side orchestra row F and that was a better view, in my opinion, even though we didn't see parts of the right side of the stage."

"

"

"

$173 total."

There's a seat for Saturday's matinee in the 3rd row center, A 104, that's $190 with fees. It's not an aisle seat, and I can't comment on the legroom in the orchestra, but I'd love to see the show again from there.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#237THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:23pm

I see there is a seat in Center Aisle Row BB for only $20 more than my ticket. I may try to call when Telecharge is open tomorrow. Tomorrow is a busy day for me. First flight from OKC to Atlanta and then Atlanta to JFK. Then hotel, then shipping, then early dinner reservation. And then I get to see Dear Evan Hansen tomorrow night - so excited!!! I’m also seeing that show from the front mezzanine., but I have no doubt that that show will resonate with me no matter where I’m sitting since I bawl like a baby every time I listen to the cast recording. Lol

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#238THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:28pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I see there is a seat in Center Aisle Row BB for only $20 more than my ticket. I may try to call when Telecharge is open tomorrow. Tomorrow is a busy day for me. First flight from OKC to Atlanta and then Atlanta to JFK. Then hotel, then shipping, then early dinner reservation. And then I get to see Dear Evan Hansen tomorrow night - so excited!!! I’m also seeing that show from the front mezzanine., but I have no doubt that that show will resonate with me no matter where I’m sitting since I bawl like a baby every time I listen to the cast recording. Lol"

Yeah, give them a call and see what they can do. The mezzanine at the Music Box is awesome. It's much closer to the stage than at the Barrymore.

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#239THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:42pm

Just saw tonight’s performance.

Maybe I don’t really get it, but I didn’t feel anything for any of these characters. I feel like they were trying to get me to feel for them, but I only really got close to caring about Tony’s character.

I’m not quite sure I understand what everyone really sees in this? Adam Kantor’s character is so out of place that I feel like I missed something. Did I? I feel like I missed a lot of things that people were moved by; I don’t know why people are moved by “Answer Me”, but clearly people were. 

I loved the instrumentals, and the cast does amazingly with what they’re given (Katrina Lenk especially), but they didn’t seem to be given much. The first song (the one about the name of the town- Welcome to Nowhere?) was wonderful and I loved it.

I don’t know, maybe I wasn’t in the right seat (I was extreme orchestra left on a rush ticket) or maybe I wasn’t in the right headspace tonight, but I’m a little disappointed that the most interesting thing I discovered is that the conductor knits when she has down time.

So overall, not terrible, but not especially enthralling or enticing for me.

Updated On: 11/7/17 at 11:42 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#240THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:49pm

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns said: "Just saw tonight’s performance.

Maybe I don’t really get it, but I didn’t feel anything for any of these characters. I feel like they were trying to get me to feel for them, but I only really got close to caring about Tony’s character.

I’m not quite sure I understand what everyone really sees in this? Adam Kantor’s character is so out of place that I feel like I missed something. Did I? I feel like I missed a lot of things that people were moved by.

I loved the instrumentals, and the cast does amazingly with what they’re given (Katrina Lenk especially), but they didn’t seem to be given much. The first song (the one about the name of the town- Welcome to Nowhere?) was wonderful and I loved it.

I don’t know, maybe I wasn’t in the right seat (I was extreme orchestra left on a rush ticket) or maybe I wasn’t in the right headspace tonight, but I’m a little disappointed that the most interesting thing I discovered is that the conductor knits when she has down time.

"

Did you see Once? People who weren’t moved by this, also seem to not have been moved by Once. I on the other hand, bawled through the entirety of Once. Lol

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#241THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 12:02am

Miles2Go2 said: "RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns said: "Just saw tonight’s performance.

I’m not quite sure I understand what everyone really sees in this? Adam Kantor’s character is so out of place that I feel like I missed something. Did I? I feel like I missed a lot of things that people were moved by.

"

Did you seeOnce?People who weren’t moved by this, also seem to not have been moved byOnce.I on the other hand, bawled through the entirety of Once. Lol
"

No, I haven’t seen Once. It’s on my radar, though, just haven’t gotten around to it (though I hope this show isn’t an indication of how I’ll like Once...)

smidge
#242THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 12:14am

I have to agree with Rndm. I feel like this may have worked better when It played in the more intimate Atlantic. But I was in the last row of the mezzanine and 1/2 the row was asleep. I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters either. I would only recommend this if you are able to sit up closer. (And I loved Once!)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#243THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 1:24am

I agree that this might be the wrong theatre for this show. I think The Golden or the Jacobs would have been a better choice. Still love the show though.

After Eight
#244THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 7:13am

Smidge wrote:  " I feel like this may have worked better when It played in the more intimate Atlantic."

Not having seen this at the Barrymore, I can't say whether it worked better at the Atlantic or not. I can say that it was a bore at the Atlantic.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#245THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 8:24am

I was also sitting in the back row of the front mezzanine at the Barrymore and I didn't feel I was missing much in terms of view. I could see everyone very clearly. 

What disappointed me the most was David Yazbek's score. I had heard so many good things about it that I was disappointed that the most memorable moment was actually the band's encore after curtain calls are done. I thought many musical motifs started and weren't developed, while others ("Omar Sharif"THE BAND'S VISIT Previews were repeated too much. I also thought "Answer Me" was a great number except the show was too quiet and low-key to really have that sort of cathartic number at the end of the show. Eh, I didn't regret that I saw it but I don't get the hype for this either.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#246THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 8:27am

The show was enjoyable, but ever so slight.

I can't see myself remembering much about it in years to come.

The score is great. Yazbek really captures the Arabic and Israeli musicality with his use of the harmonic minor scale and the instruments the Band uses on stage (an Oud and a Darbuka are played).

There aren't that many songs, maybe 7 full fledged numbers. Lenk's late-in-the-show solo "Something Different" is a knockout.

The cast are all great. Shaloub and Ciarini (despite an underwritten part) stood out for me.

Lenk is wonderful, but it's going to be a crowded Lead Actress field this year.

I just wish there were more to it.

....but the world goes 'round

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#247THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 9:51am

Thanks to all who provided seating advice. I just got off phone with Telecharge and for $20 upgraded from Front Mezzanine to Center Orchestra Row BB!!

After Eight
#248THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 4:43pm

Poisonivy2 wrote: "Eh, I didn't regret that I saw it but I don't get the hype for this either."

Hype takes on a life of its own, wholly impervious to -- or willfully defiant of --- reality.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#249THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 11/8/17 at 5:13pm

After Eight said: "Poisonivy2 wrote: "Eh, I didn't regret that I saw it but I don't get the hype for this either."

Hype takes on a life ofitsown, wholly impervious to-- or willfully defiantof --- reality.
"

Well, the reality is that this show received across the board raves from the critics when it played the Atlantic. The two current NYT critics thought it was the best musical they saw last year.  I haven't seen TBV as yet so I have no opinion one way or the other, but you can't close your eyes to reality and then cite reality to support your own opinion at the same time.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Videos