pixeltracker

Betty Buckley "DOLLY" opening in Cleveland/ Casting News ?- Page 10

Betty Buckley "DOLLY" opening in Cleveland/ Casting News ?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#225Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:28pm

NoName3 said: "Robbie2, what a gorgeous but overly huge venue for a stage show.

Was this originally a Golden Age Film Palace?
"

Originally built to be a movie palace, The Stanley opened on September 10, 1928 with 2,963 seats. Constructed in just 13 months, it was designed by famous architect Thomas Lamb, who is considered one of the foremost designers of theaters and cinemas in the 20th century. His creations include the Fox Theatre in San Francisco and the Capitol Theatre in New York, both now demolished. It is one of three remaining Lamb theaters: The Stanley, Proctor’s Theatre, Schenectady, NY, and The Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, NY.

https://www.thestanley.org/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 9/28/18 at 02:28 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#226Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:28pm

Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#228Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:35pm

NoName3 said: "Robbie2, what a gorgeous but overly huge venue for a stage show.

You do realize that touring productions play houses this big and even bigger all the time, right?

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#229Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:40pm

Of course I do.

ActorGuyIL
#230Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:46pm

Tapping23 said: "This is the way she went for the choreo. Odd joke to reference a joke in the show lol"

They reversed the direction of the cakewalk?! Did they reverse direction for all the journeys around the passarelle?

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#231Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 3:01pm

all_that_jazz said: "...Seriously. Is the picture just flipped or did they change staging if anyone who has seen it can tell. Usually a flipped pic you can tell."

As far as the title number, the one noticeable change was during the "wow, wow, wow, Fellas.." -- Betty was at the proscenium on the right side (our right side looking at the stage) ...as opposed to the left.

I am sure that when she leads the waiters around for the reprise of the final chorus, I do believe they were going the "opposite" way as in the picture.  Unless my mind is playing tricks on me now.

A beautiful production that will now be shared with many more! 

Lewis J. Stadlen and Jess LeProtto were the standouts for me. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#232Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 3:53pm

Thank you, Robbie2 for the pics!!

I visited two old friends the past two days. My dear friend, Andrea, and my dear friend, Dolly!
Spent two days in Utica, NY.

The show looked so much like the NY show that it was eerie. I cried as I saw familiar faces in the Ensemble. My friend, who I hadn’t seen in 10 years, wept at the end of the first act. She had never seen the show on stage.

Mr. Zaks was there. I smiled at him at Intermission. And he smiled back.

I had a marvelous evening. Mr. Stadlen was like Groucho Marx, which was so right. Ms. Buckley was funny and touching. The last speech before Before The Parade Passes By had me in tears as well as my friend, who is a widow.
The supporting players were wonderful. I could go on comparing them to the NYC company, but I don’t want to!
I wish them a wonderful tour.
Never thought I’d see this Dolly again. But I did. Thank you.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#234Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/28/18 at 5:15pm

EthelMae said: “Never thought I’d see this Dolly again. But I did. Thank you."

LOVE your review EthelMae! I’m counting down every single day until I get to see Dolly again! One week from today!!!

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#235Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/29/18 at 3:15pm

Thx dmwnc1959! Please post after you see the show. Would love to know your thoughts. You’re in for a treat! BTW, is your profile name making reference to your birth year, 1959? I only ask because that’s my birth year! Feel free not to answer that!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#236Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/29/18 at 3:25pm

^ ^ ^ Yup, born in 1959! Looking forward to hitting the Big 60 next year with a possible trip back to NYC and Broadway for a few big shows!

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#237Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/29/18 at 5:00pm

Thx, dmwnc1959! I hit that dreaded 60 in January! Enjoy the shows in your 60 new year!

Dollypop
#238Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/29/18 at 5:39pm

When I turned 60 I catered a baby shower for the Virgin Mary.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#239Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 8:20am

After two Preview Shows to launch the National Tour of “Hello, Dolly!” in Utica, NY, the tour has its official opening in Cleveland, Ohio today ahead of an Official Opening Night on October 5th.

Anyone on this forum going to the show while it’s in Cleveland besides me? :)

Updated On: 9/30/18 at 08:20 AM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#240Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 8:47pm

Seeing a few pictures coming from the first show in Cleveland. The passerelle set-up looks the same as it was in Utica.

As seen from the Orchestra section...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoXeMEJhd3n/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=qg7p9b3ipdy1

...and the nose-bleed section...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoXfwpHBKRC/?taken-at=3407821

...plus a tour magnet...

https://mobile.twitter.com/theatretragic1/status/1046549586159046656

Updated On: 9/30/18 at 08:47 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#241Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 9:22pm

Another one from high up with a clearer image of the passerelle...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoXf8hMBita/?taken-by=latenightwitheddiecarney

Rosie Cloo
#242Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 9:51pm

I am going in cleve. I live in area. I saw Bette 2 Times and love the show. I am a big fan of betty and very excited to see her.

Updated On: 9/30/18 at 09:51 PM

Miramar3
#243Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 10:30pm

I will see Betty's "Dolly" on my 72nd birthday when the two ladies come to town in January.  I was first introduced to "Dolly," starring the wonderful Dora Bryan, in 1968 London.  The following year, 1969, I saw Betty for the first time in the London production of "Promises, Promises". I have had the good fortune to see her many times in the years since, and remain one of her most ardent fans.  My admiration for Betty's talent today is as strong as it was half a century ago.  I am beyond excited to spend the evening with this national treasure!

BwayLB
#244Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 9/30/18 at 10:31pm

The passareal doesn’t look that bad

Loopin’theloop
#245Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 4:57am

Is it true they have changed

‘Trump lady fair’ to ‘Great lady fair?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#246Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 7:47am

Rosie Cloo said: "I am going in cleve. I live in area. I saw Bette 2 Times and love the show. I am a big fan of betty and very excited to see her."

ENJOY the show!!! Please don’t forget to come back here afterwards and let us know what you thought. Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly

BwayLB said: "The passarell doesn’t look that bad"

Agreed! We’ll see how it works out in real life this Friday. Getting VERY excited! 

heartyessmiley

Updated On: 10/1/18 at 07:47 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#247Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 7:56am

Loopin’theloop said: "Is it true they have changed

‘Trump lady fair’ to ‘Great lady fair?
"

Yes.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

rjm516
#248Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 8:32am

^ nice 

ActorGuyIL
#249Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 8:59am

They finally changed the "trump lady fair" line? I wonder why now? Do they think it will play better around the country. I was, frankly, very surprised it wasn't changed in NY.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#250Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 9:08am

ActorGuyIL said: "They finally changed the "trump lady fair" line? I wonder why now? Do they think it will play better around the country. I was, frankly, very surprised it wasn't changed in NY."

It was changed toward the end of the Broadway run when Bette made her return, I believe.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#251Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/1/18 at 10:54am

Have any critics published their reviews from Cleveland yet?

Videos