pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 11

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#250NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:21pm

Every time Jordan appeared on screen, I started to sing the Monchichi commercial jingle.

Please note that I do believe that he's is immensely F*CKable and totally talented...but this show makes people look weird!

Like...I'd be certain Christian Borle is 82% silly putty if I only went by this show.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#251NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:23pm

I would ride that Silly Putty six ways to Sunday, though.

FindingNamo
#252NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:23pm

Like Lucy's nose and Bill Holden? Cue Deb Messing!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#253NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:25pm

I think it's just that some people look good on camera and others don't. I thought all during Les Mis that Aaron Tveit didn't have a face for camera.

Conversely, I tend to think Annaleigh Ashford looks like a gargoyle in real life,but I thought she looked cutish on the show last night.

SonofRobbieJ
#254NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:26pm

I mean...I've seen him on stage a bunch of times, and hung out with him a bit one night back in the mid-Aughties. He's totes adorbs, as the kids say.

But, with Megan Hilty looking like a chemical peel, it's clear that the DP is straight out of film school.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#255NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:26pm

TOM thats what i was saying, his hair looks wierd! and i love him, he just needs sideburns! and those poof on top yeesh

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#256NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:29pm

Point taken, Robbie. I still think there's something about his eyes that don't translate well. Andy Mientus, however, is adorable as hell.

beautywickedlover
Phyllis Rogers Stone
#258NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 5:08pm

CONGRATS TO SMASH

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#259NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 5:40pm

Glad to see it adjusted UP and not DOWN. Hopefully ratings will go up in coming weeks.

And @Phyllis Rogers Stone, you thought Aaron Tveit didn't look good in the Les Mis movie?! I've never found him to be more attractive. lol

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#260NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 5:52pm

Heh. Different strokes, I guess. I just thought his face looked weird!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#261NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 7:03pm

Glad ratings were up instead of down, but with that painful Betty White repeat as a lead-in, NBC wasn't helping.

And I agree there's something wrong with Jordan's eyes...he would have been a great soap opera lothario/villain back in the day.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#262NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 8:42pm

"I'd be perfectly fine with that if we lived in a world where ALL THAT JAZZ never existed. But we have actually seen entertainment about Broadway that is entertaining (even over the top) and still find an emotional truth that this show lacks. |

CultureVulture mentioned ATJ as well... And, I mean, sure I'd prefer *that* show, but it would never ever happen on network tv (and probably not on cable, either). All the execs wouldn't greenlight any scripts, and perhaps rightly because it wouldn't get the numbers they seem to think more and more they need. Since much of the same team was in place when the show was meant for Showtime, I'm not sure it would have been any better, but most of these high concept shows the networks pull out to compete with the increasing devotion to cable dramas don't work--not because the content can't be more adult due to network regulations, but because they still try too hard to appeal to the largest possible 18-49 demo.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#263NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/6/13 at 9:04pm

All That Jazz had the forethought to have that Jessica Lange conceit. SMASH could to something like that, maybe tie it in to Heaven on Earth

SonofRobbieJ
#264NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/7/13 at 11:33am

To be clear, I only brought ALL THAT JAZZ up as an example of a daring work that felt like it got at something true about the business of putting on a Broadway show.

That's probably my biggest problem with SMASH. I think that putting on a show IS interesting, and I just wish they'd trust that.

Tony2600
#265NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/7/13 at 2:40pm

The show is doomed as long as they’ve got a protagonist who can’t act. I challenge you to watch any of her scenes and tell me whether she’s happy, sad, angry or scared. Yes, she has a pretty face and a pleasant voice but everything else is emotional botox.

FindingNamo
#266NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/7/13 at 2:48pm

"I challenge you to watch any of her scenes and tell me whether she’s happy, sad, angry or scared."

Which makes her in some ways oddly appropriate to be playing a Broadway up and comer. There are some folks who get a LOT of attention who are very much like that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#267NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/7/13 at 3:09pm

I'm just glad that it seems they actually may USE the Broadway talent properly this year. Last year, they pushed aside the clearly more talented of the "dueling divas" in favor of the designated protagonist. Will Chase's character, though given some good songs, had a really awful character that no actor could've made much of. And they never even let Brian D'Arcy James sing! I leave out Christian Borle because I personally found Tom one of the only tolerable characters last season. But this year, it appears they're going to bring Jeremy Jordan's character in as a leading man, Andy Mientus's as a supporting character with some real personality, and seem to be fixing Ivy's characterization.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#268NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 3:22pm

SonofRobbieJ - Yes, "All That Jazz" was wonderful but the difference is "SMASH" is a weekly TV series and IMO harder to do.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#269NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 4:06pm

And add to that, a NETWORK tv show.

But I think Robbie cleared up that wasn't why he brought up the movie--I think he just meant the show lacks that feeling of excitement.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#270NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 5:40pm

I'm late to the party here and finally caught up on watching the season premiere of Smash last night, but just wanted to say that it does seem improved compared to last year in terms of the focus on the theatre world and less on the home lives, and with the new characters replacing the worst of the old ones.

And Megan's performance of They just keep moving the line got me excited for Smash again the way that the first episode got me feeling last year with Let me be your star, and which I hadn't quite felt again since. She is phenomenal! More Megan singing Broadway anthem-type songs, please!

Gothampc
#271NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 5:49pm

"The show is doomed as long as they’ve got a protagonist who can’t act. I challenge you to watch any of her scenes and tell me whether she’s happy, sad, angry or scared. Yes, she has a pretty face and a pleasant voice but everything else is emotional botox."

Enough about Deb Messing. Let's discuss Katharine McPhee.

"And add to that, a NETWORK tv show."

I don't think Network shows have the edge anymore. Mad Men and other cable shows are vastly superior to network shows. Maybe the networks should adopt the British model and produce less episodes and focus on quality rather than quantity.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#272NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 8:57pm

"I don't think Network shows have the edge anymore."

When was the last time any Network drama got nominated for EMMYS? At least last handful of years been Brit and Cable dramas I thought.

"edit"
Oops, I forgot THE GOOD WIFE few years ago...

And all of you know that Golden Globe doesn't really count for this topic since voters for that is totally different. EMMY voters actually work in TV drama field not like GGs.

Updated On: 2/8/13 at 08:57 PM

SporkGoddess
#273NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 9:10pm

Enough about Deb Messing. Let's discuss Katharine McPhee.

I thought that most people have already been discussing Kat McPhee and her dead eyes.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Gothampc
#274NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/8/13 at 9:24pm

"I thought that most people have already been discussing Kat McPhee and her dead eyes."

LOL. I know. I just don't think Debra Messing adds that much to the show either.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Videos