pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 11

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

scampsweep
#250Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 2:20am

This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

Dollypop
#251Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 6:57am

Double post

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 7/2/17 at 06:57 AM

Dollypop
#252Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 7:08am

Was in the city yesterday and upgraded my August seats for the show. The new tickets have Donna Murphy's name on them in bold print!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#253Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 8:38am

scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

Idk if it's been transposed higher but Donna definitely interpolates some high notes that Bette didn't.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#254Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 10:58am

Did someone ask about Betty Grable's Dolly? Take a look at this video, which must be seen to be believed.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#255Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 11:05am

As must this one, by Sally Struthers:

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#256Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 11:10am

And this one with a weirdly bored Alice Faye:

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#257Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:04pm

poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

Idk if it's been transposed higher but Donna definitely interpolates some high notes that Bette didn't.

"

Oh miss thing.. you were all over that one weren't you.  I bet it made your day.  How infantile.   

martysil
#258Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:17pm

Well the arranger/orchestrator of the Grable video must have been listening to Mame when s/he wrote this!

Thanks for the video.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#259Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:20pm

SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested.

"

"

Oh miss thing.. you were all over that one weren't you. I bet it made your day. How infantile.

"

Omg. Get help. If yoy can't stand even the slightest comparison to Bette then go offline and call your therapist.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#260Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:26pm

poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

Oh miss thing.. you were all over that one weren't you.  I bet it made your day.  How infantile.   

"

Omg. Get help. If yoy can't stand even the slightest comparison to Bette then go offline and call your therapist.

"

No honey.  Your transparency gives me way too much joy.  

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#261Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:36pm

poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

I'm with you, ivy. Both you and I have been very complimentary about the show with Bette, yet any implication that Donna Murphy is in any way better is seen as petty and unnecessary. I just don't get it. We've paid good money to see the show more than once, and our opinions are completely valid. In the bigger picture, all the positive word-of-mouth for Donna is a good thing, since, hopefully, it will get people to buy tickets. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#262Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:48pm

I saw Bette in March. I thought she was funny, charming and a great many other things. I simply think Donna's voice is better suited to a Broaday musical at this point. I'll add that I paid triple digits ro see Bette aND don't regret it.

But anywat while SmokeyLady fumes my mom and I are on our way to see Hello Dolly!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#263Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:48pm

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

I'm with you, ivy. Both you and I have been very complimentary about the show with Bette, yet any implication that Donna Murphy is in any way better is seen as petty and unnecessary. I just don't get it. We've paid good money to see the show more than once, and our opinions are completely valid. In the bigger picture, all the positive word-of-mouth for Donna is a good thing, since, hopefully, it will get people to buy tickets. 

"

Yes dear.  Your posts here are getting people to line up at the box office!  Your opinions are the touch of gold!  You two are the secret of box office success!   Everything is due to you!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#264Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 12:57pm

SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

Yes dear.  Your posts here are getting people to line up at the box office!  Your opinions are the touch of gold!  You two are the secret of box office success!   Everything is due to you!

Actually, the posts in this thread are part of the reason why I made the effort to go on Friday. So, yes, they can make a difference. Also, as far as transparency is concerned, if that includes having actual pics of our faces on here, then ivy and I are 2 of a small handful of transparent people on here, and I'm more than happy to be one.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#265Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 1:00pm

CT2NYC said: "SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

Actually, the posts in this thread are part of the reason why I made the effort to go on Friday. So, yes, they can make a difference. Also, as far as transparency is concerned, if that includes having actual pics of our faces on here, then ivy and I are 2 of a small handful of transparent people on here, and I'm more than happy to be one.

"

Especially since half the posts were made by you two. Saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#266Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 1:10pm

PalJoey said: " 

As must this one, by Sally Struthers:

ah yes, the most recent low-budget Dolly tour with Struthers.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 7/2/17 at 01:10 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#267Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 1:15pm

SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

"

Especially since half the posts were made by you two. Saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

OK, then. Have a great day! 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#268Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 1:16pm

CT2NYC said: "SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "SmokeyLady said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "SmokeyLady said: "poisonivy2 said: "scampsweep said: "This may have been discussed earlier, but does Donna Murphy sing the score in the same low keys as Bette or has the score been transposed higher? Just interested. 

"

"

"

"

OK, then. Have a great day! 

"

Same to you.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#269Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 5:09pm

Update: I just took my mom to see it and ... She didn't like either Donna or David. Instead she loved Gavin, Taylor, Kate and Beanie and the dancers. Her favorite number was Waiters Gallop. Also loved the polka at Harmonia Gardens and Sunday Clothes and the hat shup caper. So ... a good momsical but my mom only had love for the supporing cast and ensemble.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#270Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 6:20pm

Is your mom SmokeyLady :p?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#271Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 6:24pm

qolbinau said: "Is your mom SmokeyLady :p?

"

No.  I loved Donna in it. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#272Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 6:40pm

I was at the matinee today too. Murphy was everything I wanted and more. She sang the crap out of the score, was funny, danced brilliantly, and looked like she was having a ball. Pierce was walking through the show. Creel, a bland performer in general, was going way over the top. He also had an annoying tendency of addressing all of his dialogue and singing to the audience. Baldwin sang beautifully although there seemed to be real coordination problems between her and the put during Ribbons Down My Back. Fieldstein was delightful. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

David10225
#273Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 8:35pm

Frequent reader never poster here but we traveled up from DC to see the show this afternoon and I don't remember when I last laughed so hard.  Both my wife and I loved the show and it is easily in our all time top 3.  I so glad we chose this over Charlie.  Place was packed!  It made this old guy well up at the end.  You guys are so lucky to have all these wonderful choices of entertainment.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#274Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 7/2/17 at 8:47pm

Holy cabooses, PJ! Is that Betty Grable clip from Hee Haw? I'm kinda speechless. I would not think Jerry Herman would like that. It's like Roger DeBris got a hold of it.

As for Sally, I loved her on All In The Family, but it's probably a good thing I didn't see that tour. Believe it or not, she seems to be channeling Mimi Hines, very very similar inertia. But I did love when Sally shouted (twice) near the end. It woke me up.

As for Alice Faye, what the hey? 

Videos