pixeltracker

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?- Page 11

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#250re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 4:32pm

Nunn is very much aware that he has to "stagger" the ages.

If he were to use Benanti as Anne, he'd have to be using an older Desiree.

Similarly, if someone on the younger side of the spectrum like Winslet was cast as Desiree, they wouldn't be able to use someone as old as Angela Lansbury for Madame Armfeldt, which is why they're meeting with her to discuss the possibility of playing the role instead of flat out offering it to her.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Byron Abens
#251re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 4:32pm

But that was also with the aid of a dowdy wig and boy's clothes. You can't dress Anne down to mask the age of the actress.

And even watching her in Gypsy I still saw her natural elegance and maturity shining through that wig and lack of makeup. I think she's a wonderful actress, and if there was going to be a studio recording of the show I would love to hear her tackle the role, but there is no way she will read as eighteen against a mid-30's Desiree on the stage.

Byron Abens
#252re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 4:34pm

Now a big age gap between Desiree and her mother would not bother me. I've always gotten the impression that Desiree was an accident, and probably a later in life accident at that. It would be harder to be one of the world's most successful courtesans with a child in tow.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#253re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 4:43pm

I think it's pretty obvious Laura would be considered as Charlotte , I don't get why people are even thinking Anne.

Byron Abens
#254re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 4:50pm

Sad to say that sometimes the obvious eludes people around here, as I'm sure you've experienced more than once in your time on these boards.

LoveIsCompany
#255re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 7:01pm

As someone who has been through the ringer for this production myself, I can say that a FANTASTICK young actress has been cast as Anne. This may get deleted, but someone with knowledge of the original production will love the irony of this casting. That is all.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#256re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 7:08pm

Raul was interviewed yesterday on the Leonard Lopate show and when asked about "future projects", he alluded to a "potential Sondheim thing".

Could this be it?

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

commasplice
#257re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 7:15pm

LoveIsCompany -- Ramona Mallory, Victoria Mallory and Mark Lambert's daughter? That makes me smile.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#258re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 8:40pm

That is beyond fantastic. What a wonderful way for history to play a part in the present.

I'm sure Ramona Mallory will be a terrific Anne. I heard wonderful things about her when she was in THE FANTASTICKS.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/25/09 at 08:40 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#259re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 8:51pm

ha! that would be amazing! how old is Ramona Mallory, anyway?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#260re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 12:57am

If Angela was to play Kate Winslet's mother...so what? Angela could play 70 and and Kate could play 35-40. Not that much of a stretch.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#261re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 1:01am

I had no idea Victoria Mallory and Mark Lambert had a daughter who was in the NY show business scene, oh my God, that would be perfection. I must confess that if indeed she has been cast, I'd be a lot more relaxed about casting. It's just such a neat thing and quite a nod to fans of the original cast, I'm a huge fan of Mallory's and Lambert's work in NIGHT MUSIC.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LoveIsCompany
#262re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 4:00am

All of you smilers can continue smiling, that's all I'll say!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#263re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 5:56am

Not sure where the Kate Winslet rumor started, but it's a different Oscar-winner who is considering playing Desiree.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

neil30043
#264re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 7:37am

Just some random, Oscar winning actresses and their ages:

Cate Blanchett--40
Nicole Kidman--42
Juliette Binoche--45
Julia Roberts--41
Catherine Zeta Jones--39
Marisa Tomei--44

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#265re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 8:22am

Oo, Marisa Tomei might be nice. Also, I don't know if she has ever done stage work, but Tilda Swinton could make a fascinating Desiree.

Dollypop
#266re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 8:31am

Go ahead and laugh, but I think Carol Channing would make a refreshingly different Mm Armfeldt.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#267re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 1:17pm

"Not sure where the Kate Winslet rumor started, but it's a different Oscar-winner who is considering playing Desiree."

Hmmmm. And who said it sounded like a rumor? And who got attacked by Pgenre for calling it a rumor?

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#268re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 2:21pm

Angela is now fact not fiction.

The theatre gods have smiled on us.

One more smile and it shall, indeed, be a perfect summer evening... (or Fall, as the case may be).

I can't wait til Rudy2 sees this! He, along with so many of us, will be SO pleased!

P

LoveIsCompany
#269re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 3:20pm

Lansbury has been confirmed for some time now, just very hushed about it. Most of the roles have been accepted, Lieb call backs were this week. Expect casting to be announced very, very soon.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#270re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 4:38pm

Cate Blanchett would be ideal but isn't she doing A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE at the BAM and the Kennedy Center? Juliette Binoche would also be fantastic.
Marisa Tomei is great but I don't know that I would buy her as Desiree, I think it might go the way of Mary-Louise Parker as Hedda, I just think Tomei has a very contemporary style to her acting. If this happened I'd still be thoroughly excited, any chance to see her do stage work is a good one.
I could see Tilda Swinton doing a good job and actually being considered. Who knows though?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#271re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 4:54pm

I'd love to see Donna Murphy play Desiree.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#272re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 4:56pm

Halle Berry....WHHAAAAAATTT?????

jk

ray-andallthatjazz86
#273re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 5:07pm

Donna Murphy is unfortunately too old for this production, even if I think she's perfect for the part. I also believe that somethingwicked once posted on another thread that at this point she is more invested in originating roles rather than doing revivals. It's unfortunate since she would have been perfect in both this, FOLLIES and the proposed Roundabout ANYTHING GOES revival. And she's not even doing any new shows!
God, the thought of Halle Berry on stage is kind of scary. She can't even do movies right.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#274re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 5:12pm

Why are we believing the Angela rumor? Not to say it isn't true, but does anyone have any info?

Videos