pixeltracker

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread- Page 14

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#325Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 11:23am

I saw it two weeks ago and was rather taken in by it. I think there are a few things they needed to tweak, but overall I thought it was classic musical comedy at its best.

I am returning to see it tomorrow night and couldn't be more excited. "Don't Break The Rules" and "Goodbye" were standouts that I can't wait to hear again!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#326Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 12:00pm

The changes being made must be for the better, as people have really seem to have enjoyed it more the past couple of weeks than the first couple of weeks.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#327Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 1:15pm

I didn't even find the comedy that important. Like I said, I feel like the emotional relationships between the characters the part that made it soar (no pun intended?) I don't know, maybe it is nice to see a musical comedy with well developed relationships.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#328Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 1:55pm

I agree, BwayToday. The relationship that develop between Aaron/Tom Wopat and Aaron/Norbert are extraordinarily nuanced for musical comedy, musical drama or s straight play. Even the relationships between Norbert/Tom Wopat and Aaron/his mother are surprisingly multi-leveled.

I describe it as a musical comedy not to diminish it but to celebrate the fact that it does its storytelling with a lot of genuine humor and high-energy music.

It's the combination of intelligent storytelling, entertaining musical numbers and emotionally involving performances that, to me, makes it such a standout show.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#329Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 2:02pm

McNally continues to impress with his skill. In preview i found Wopat's choices to be of another play than the rest of the principals (except for Linda Hart who was a visiting cartoon from another planet, poor thing), but the acting styles and tones may have gelled more as they tweaked. I love Wopat in general and think he sings wonderfully but i posted earlier about how i felt McNally's admittedly mature themes could be better served with focusing on fewer characters, or on leads who play different sides or archetypes (mother and father). At base the play is somewhat about parenting, and i think the team has a great progeny in this piece.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#330Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 2:42pm

i think the team has a great progeny in this piece

What does that even mean?

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#331Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 2:46pm

prog·e·ny? ?
[proj-uh-nee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ny or, for plants or animals, -nies.
a descendant or offspring, as a child, plant, or animal.
such descendants or offspring collectively.
something that originates or results from something else; outcome; issue.

which came from the idea that CATCH ME is about parenting of various kinds. Should i have provided a footnote, Professor?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#332Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 2:48pm

perhaps i should have said "creative team" instead of "team" but i wanted to include the actors and crew....how about "the company and creatives of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN THE MUSICAL have wonderful progeny in this piece"? does that suit you better?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#333Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 3:58pm

No, actually.

I know what the word means but "the company and creatives have wonderful progeny in this piece" still makes no sense whatsoever.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#334Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 4:10pm

Personally I find the use of the word "progeny" in this case to be very pretentious.

princessem721 Profile Photo
princessem721
#335Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 4:53pm

i'm going to see the show tomorrow night, and i'm really excited about it!! i love me some tom wopat and norbert leo butz (ENRON, anyone?!), and i keep hearing the music and i can't get it out of my head. i'll let you all know what i think next week :)

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#336Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/11 at 6:02pm

PalJoey---I am glad that you enjoyed the show! I look forward to seeing it! Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#337Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 7:02am

if you want to pretend that i'm pretentious i'll be content that you're contentious....how's that?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#338Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 3:57pm

The VIDEO Preview that Broadwayworld posted. WOW. If Aaron doesn't win the tony, or attleast get a nod, something is wrong.

sundaymorning6am
#339Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 4:38pm

@steven22 if AARON doesn't win the Tony? I'm sorry, but Norbert deserves the Tony ten times over Aaron. Aaron was energetic in the show, but Norbert was really unbelievable.

Would Norbert be nominated in the leading or featured category?

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#340Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 4:51pm

The costumes in the opening number look god awful compared to what they were in Seattle. I just tried looking for the Seattle montage but it looks like it was taken down.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#341Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 5:04pm

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

threetwoone,

I was thinking the same thing during 'Live in Living Color" (the opening number). The costumes for the ensemble look dull and if I remember correctly from pictures, the ones in Seattle were big and bright.
Updated On: 4/8/11 at 05:04 PM

massofmen
#342Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 5:45pm

ummm do you people realize HOW MANY MEN will be up for a best leading actor in a musical award this year?
Lets go down the list.
Nick Adams, Tony and will swenson from Priscilla
Ben Walker from BBAj
Pee Wee Herman
Josh Henry from Scotts boro boys and that other guy
Joash Gad and Andrew Rannells from Bomormon
Aaron and Norbert from CMIYC

sooo 11 possible guys that i can THINK OF

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#343Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 5:51pm

^ You forgot one of the biggest ones. Daniel Radcliffe.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#344Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

Do they make quick changes during the opening number? Maybe that's when they slip into the brighter costumes.

But I am SO STOKED to see this now after watching those clips! WOW the show looks amazing!

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#345Catch me if you Can Preview Thread

Aaron will be at LEAST nominated for Best Leading. If he doesn't win, there will have been no justice in the world. My bet is that Norbert gets nominated - and possibly wins - Best Featuring.

But concerning the preview vid - Aaron was in much better vocal shape when I saw the show.

peachesr
#346Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 6:04pm

I'm excited to see this more after watching the preview vid. It looks quite fresh and different in it's style from anything else at the moment and has a really strong cast. Depending on what happens on Sunday with the reviews I would think the entire show would be a strong Tony contender. I would think Aaron and Norbet would gets nods if not Tom Wopat too.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#347Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 7:09pm

I know Aaron was devastated after not being nominated for his performance as Gabe in NEXT TO NORMAL. I'm hoping he gets a nod and a win for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

grayarea
#348Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 8:28pm

^^^I agree. Aaron sounded so much better when I saw the show than in the posted video. Makes me wonder when they actually shot these clips (or why they chose them for publicity).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#349Catch me if you Can Preview Thread
Posted: 4/8/11 at 8:48pm

The set looks much better in this video than in the photos.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos