pixeltracker

Sleep No More is AMAZING- Page 16

Sleep No More is AMAZING

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#375Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/21/11 at 2:54pm

i do think it was an interesting approach with the audience wearing masks, but as one of the earlier posts said it did feel like I was walking through a haunted house at Six Flags during Halloween.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#376Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/22/11 at 2:16pm

I don't know if they could have styled them in a different way maybe but a mask of some kind was absolutely necessarily....someone took their mask off during the bathtub scene with Lady Macbeth and (the king? no idea - tip: reading a wikipedia summary of MacBeth is not sufficient to follow this show!) and it absolutely killed the mood. It was very awkward. And of course it's the easiest way to discriminate between performers and spectators.

Although it must be necessary for safety reasons I thought the "exit" signs everywhere kind of killed the mood too (not sure if anyone mentioned this).

I really liked the street with the shops though...my friend and I went to the candy shop and actually ate some of it lol, it is pretty cool.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#377Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/31/11 at 3:34am

*** SPOILERS ***

WOW WOW WOW

I just got back and have to thank everyone who has posted little tidbits about the show, they really helped me out and allowed me to get a lot out of the show on my first run through. I got tickets for the 11pm slot, and am so happy I did. I got to follow characters around with ease initially as a lot of people hadn't entered yet.

My goal was to follow 3 characters each hour, following a new one when the show "reset". I followed Macbeth first and I have to say, if you follow Macbeth you will leave truly gratified. I think Macbeth offered me 11-12 different scenes and most if not all were just marvelous. I was TIRED after just following him, and couldn't believe I had two more hours in the space. The choreography alone is worth price of admission, it's so beautiful - especially between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in their bedroom (multiple occasions), Macbeth and a character's fight scene in the room with the pool table and the cardboard box walls (I ate it in the cardboard boxes on my way out chasing Macbeth), Macbeth with the witches in the hotel lobby (are you catching a pattern here? :P), Lady Macbeth also had some beautiful choreography in her room, and also in her plexi-glass "closet" I guess you would call it. The choreo with Lady Macduff and two other characters in the hotel lobby sitting area as they fought over the glass of "milk" was nice as well. I followed Lady Macbeth for the 2nd hour, and while I initially wanted to follow one of the witches for the 3rd hour, I ended up following Lady Macduff, who I'm almost positive was the pregnant woman.

I found that by following Macbeth I got such an amazing experience out of it, that following the other two characters later on was not as exciting or interesting. I knew I'd see a lot of double scenes by following Lady Macbeth next as she has quite a few moments with Macbeth, but it just felt really really cool to be able to recall what Macbeth was doing somewhere else in the hotel while watching Lady Macbeth do something else on her own, and then watch the two reconvene. I will say she did fall into me once in her sequined gown, and stood in front of me completely nude when she got out of the bathtub in the room of tubs, it's amazing how invested these actors are and their boldness and fearlessness.

I'm happy to answer any questions or go into details about the scenes I saw while following those three characters if anyone wants to know.

If you go, do NOT miss the witch's orgy/rave ... complete .. mind .. f#ck. (following Macbeth will get you there).

My own two cents would be:
1. Dont worry if you lose a character in a stairwell, just follow the people as they're most likely following that character too and you will get to them. Lady Macbeth took me up what seemed like 4 flights of stairs, Lady Macduff took me up 3 and it was just insane to be running around so much. It cannot be stressed enough to wear sneakers. Following three characters, I was able to stick with them the entire time except for a brief moment where I lost Lady Macbeth and she had some sort of exchange with the nurse but I found her just as they entered the room with the tubs. Get as close as you want, but be able to guess when a scene is winding down and position yourself near a doorway so it'll be easier to follow a character as they run out.
2. Whichever floor you get left off on at the start, just run to the Ballroom as you will see a lot of the characters start out there, including all of the ones that I followed, dancing and having a ball - Macbeth is upstairs on the balcony looking down at the other characters as they dance, and Lady Macbeth gives him a cold stare so he will be easy to spot (if facing the banquet table, he's on the balcony above to your right, closer to the rear corner). I highly suggest you make the effort to follow Macbeth and dont lose him. All three characters brought me back to the ballroom at the end of the hour and you're able to see quite a few characters to choose from to follow next, so you dont really have to check your watch as returning to the ballroom is your cue.

QUESTION: When I followed Macbeth there was a scene where he met up with Lady Macduff, just outside the row of phone booths. They had quite a fight scene and Macbeth seemingly killed her or her baby or both. But then when I followed Lady Macduff this scene did not repeat itself, and the only scene that occurred in front of the row of phone booths was a scene where she uncovered a mirror and took a blanket, folded it like a baby and rocked it, while unpacking her suitcase and opening drawers. I was just curious if the tracks tend to deviate or slightly different things occur at each hour?

Anyway, GO GO GO! It must be experienced once, and some of it is just too difficult to put into words. GO!

Updated On: 7/31/11 at 03:34 AM

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#378Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/31/11 at 11:05am

Did you follow Lady Macduff after one of the banquet scenes? That scene that you're referring to happens right after the banquet scene ends.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#379Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 7/31/11 at 2:23pm

*SPOILERS*

Now that I think of it, you're right. Because when I followed Macbeth that was the scene immediately following the Banquet. However, because I followed Lady Macduff for the third hour, after the banquet scene was Macbeth's hanging and the show was over. That's probably why I didn't see that scene play out in her track.

Thanks, yay_gerb!

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#380Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/1/11 at 11:01am

*sorry for the double post

Question: Where can I find Hecate from the beginning? I dont think Hecate is in either the opening banquet scene or the finale banquet "slow-motion" scene. I had read that Hecate sits and watches the witch's rave but I could not see her (is the character played by a female? dont have my program in front of me) in the room or maybe I was too transfixed by it all to look away and survey the room.

I'd really like to follow Hecate if I see the show again (if her track is worthwhile to follow).

FindingNamo
#381Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/1/11 at 11:11am

She sits over at a table, in the direction where the male witch throws his clothes. I watched her last time when I was at my second rave of the night and she just does arm and hand motions and ecstatic facial expressions, like that one lady on season two of True Blood. There were no great revelations watching her.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#382Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/3/11 at 1:31pm

Is there a witch whose track is preferable to follow? Are they that different? I've gone twice now and have yet to follow a witch, so I'm trying to decide who to trail next time around.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

fiesta1
#383Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/8/11 at 3:19pm

I want to thank this Board for recommending this show. I was in NYC last week for my annual pilgramage and booked this show for one evening solely because of this thread.

It was phenomenal. I will definitely go again if the show is still running next summer and follow other tracks. I was lucky enough to be invited into Hecate's lair (and still treasure my little boat).

Advice to others: wear sneakers or flats that you can run in. If you go with friends, ditch them for the 3 hours of the performance and split up. I felt like slapping audience members who insisted walking hand in hand around (or two abreast on the stairs). Meet up with your spouse or bffs at the bar at the end of the night. I attended the show solo, and had a great time. Follow Macbeth in one of the tracks early in the evening (and try and keep up with him -- that guy darts quickly!). I lost him near the end of his track in the Christmas tree forest. You can find him by the hotel check-in desk or luggage room (2nd floor) at the top of each hour.

In case anyone needs to use the restroom during the show, there are several on the top floor (near the hospital ward). But go before they close the top floor in the 3rd hour of the show.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#384Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:17pm

Extended again by one week - now through Sept. 17

Sophiia Profile Photo
Sophiia
#385Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/10/11 at 2:53pm

I don't think it'll be ending anytime soon...

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#386Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/12/11 at 12:36pm

And Again: Now through Sept. 24

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#387Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/12/11 at 3:50pm

And programs and hotel souvenirs are coming soon!

massofmen
#391Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/16/11 at 2:10am

this is a souped up haunted house nothing more. People are trying to make something out of a modern dance piece put in a haunted house with 1-2 scenes that KINDA resemble Macbeth. Thats it.

SPOILER!

Oh how i would have loved to hear them speak those beautiful words from the play. How awesomely chilling would that have been. To hear lady macbeth wail and hear it floors below and floors above. now THAT would have been cool. or to actually hear macbeth do "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day..." Why in the hell didn't they do that? Otherwise, i saw this in chelsea in october and its called "the haunted house"...

SPOILER!!!

There is NOTHING that resembles REBECCA in the whole place not a thing. There is some girl running around with a locket and a cape and a suitcase. Who the hell is that? and why is hecate putting her tears in a bottle?. and

SPOILER
why in the hell do they have macbeth hanging himself at the end? or jumping off a bridge? Thanks for taking liberties with shakespeare.

I thought it was completely underwhelming. The best part was watching the sheep follow each character like their lives depended on it. You have no clue who any of the characters are save for Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. I know Macbeth very well and I had no clue who duncan was, banquo, macduff (was he even in it)? I thought it was a big joke and i kinda want my money back..

FindingNamo
#392Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/16/11 at 11:36am

It's good to read a thread before announcing your discovery of things that have already been mentioned. I talked about the lack of Rebecca content as one of the major weaknesses of the New York production over the Boston one since I saw the show in NYC last Spring. I even hypothesized that it was probably a copyright issue that did them in.

There are a lot more than 1-2 scenes that kinda resemble MacBeth.

Other than that, you are well within your rights to hate it for whatever reason.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#393Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/16/11 at 12:54pm

Hotel souvenirs? Please please say we can buy a stuffed plush baby fetus!! I think that would go right along with the Kennedy Center 'Follies' pillow in my apartment.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#394Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/16/11 at 1:09pm

Nah, like towels and such with the hotel logo on them.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#395Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/16/11 at 2:33pm

I'll still probably shell over for something. As long as it's not another bloody t-shirt. I do wish productions would start getting more original than that. I'm not saying there HAS to be a stuffed plush baby fetus... but at least towels are a little more unique to the situation.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#396Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:40pm

btws, I haven't seen this posted yet, but on the facebook discussion page, a 'Lance Love' posted this (from what I can tell) entirely comprehensive song list. There was also the witches rave mashup linked to on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1PwULJ_18

The Man Who Knew Too Much - Prelude, OST by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra | The Labyrinth at the very beginning

Sandman- The Benny Goodman Orchestra | Ballroom Scene
A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square - Glenn Miller and His Orchestra | The Ballroom
Waltzing In A Dream - Jack Hylton | The Ballroom
In A Sentimental Mood - Danny Vaughn | The Ballroom
Mood Indigo - Duke Ellington | The Ballroom

Goodnight Children Everywhere - Vera Lynn | The McDuff House
Weep No More My Baby - Ray Noble featuring Al Bowlly | The McDuff House
Night and Day - Fred Astaire & The Leo Reisman Orchestra | The McDuff House
I Hear A Dream / You're Here, You're There, You're Everywhere / So Rare - Vera Lynn | The McDuff House
Honey - Rudy Vallee | The McDuff House
My Prayer - Glenn Miller | The McDuff House

Sleepy Time Down South - Paul Robeson | The Radio in The Poker Bar
I Wanna Be Bad - Jack Hylton | The Radio in The Poker Bar
Mean To Me - Annette Hanshaw | The Radio in The Poker Bar
Tuxedo Junction - Glen Miller | The Radio in The Poker Bar
Daddy, Won't You Please Come Home - Annette Hanshaw | The Radio in The Poker Bar
Moonglow - Benny Goodman and His Orchestra | The Poker Bar
Black and Blue Rhythm- Jack Hylton and His Orchestra | The Poker Bar

Graveyard Dream Blues - Bessie Smith | The Apothecary & The Radio in The Poker Bar
Weeping Willow Blues - Bessie Smith | The Apothecary
Is It A Sin - The Ink Spots | The Apothecary
Nightmare - Artie Shaw | The Candy Shop & The Taxidermist

I Had The Craziest Dream - The Harry James Orchestra | The Macbeth House
If I Didn't Care - The Ink Spots | Main Street, The Asylum & The Macbeth House
Street of Dreams - The Ink Spots | Main Street, The Asylum & The Macbeth House
The Beach, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | Main Street (also used a lot of places)
The Streets, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | Main Street & The Cemetery (also used a lot of places)
The Forest, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Cemetery (also used a lot of places)
The Dream, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | McDuff's Office & The House on Main Street (also used a lot of places)
Goodnight and The Park, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The House on Main Street (also used a lot of places)
By The Fireside, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The House on Main Street (also used a lot of places)
I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire - The Ink Spots | McDuff's Office
Carlotta's Portrait, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The House on Main Street (also used a lot of places)
The Necklace, The Return and Finale, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The House on Main Street (also used a lot of places)
The Nightmare and Dawn, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Macbeth House & The Asylum in the Forest Labyrinth
The Letter, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Macbeth House & The Asylum in the Forest Labyrinth (also used a lot of places)
Scotty Trails Madeline, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Macbeth House & The Asylum in the Forest Labyrinth (also used a lot of places)

Why Dream? - Anne Lenner and Carroll Gibbons with The Savoy Orphans | Banquo's Bedroom & Library and The McDuff House
My Blue Heaven Don Voorhees and His Orchestra | Banquo's Bedroom & Library and The McDuff House
Dyin' By The Hour - Bessie Smith | Banquo's Bedroom & Library and The Apothecary
Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller | Banquo's Bedroom & Library & The McDuff House
Serenade in Blue - Glenn Miller | Banquo's Bedroom & Library
Dancing in The Dark - The Revelers | Banquo's Bedroom & Library
Rhapsody in Blue - Glenn Miller | Banquo's Bedroom & Library & The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
Midnight, The Stars and You - Ray Noble and His Orchestra (A nod to Kubrick) | Banquo's Bedroom & Library and The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
Stardust - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra | The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
I'll Never Smile Again - Glenn Miller and His Orchestra | The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
Moonlight Becomes You - Glenn Miller and His Orchestra | The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
Moonlight and Shadows - Artie Shaw | The McKittrick Front Desk and Lobby
All of Me - Billie Holiday | The McKittrick Front Desk Back Office
We Three - The Ink Spots | The McKittrick Front Desk Back Office

Family Plot: End Credits - Charles Ketcham & The Utah Symphony Orchestra | The Jazz Club
Scene d'Amour, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Jazz Club
Reece, Ed Rush & Optical | The Jazz Club
Mute (Jokers of The Scene Remix), The Brash | The Jazz Club
The Past and The Girl, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Jazz Club
Prelude and Rooftop, Vertigo OST - Bernard Herrmann | The Jazz Club, The Asylum & The Ballroom

Is That All There Is - Peggy Lee | Boy Witch in The Hotel Lobby
Is That All There Is - The New Standards (?) | Hecate The Jazz Club

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#397Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 5:55pm

Massofmen -- I never thought I'd say this: but I am totally with you on this one. I thought it is over-hyped, psuedo-intelligencia pulling one over on the public.

This seems TO ME as a case of the Emperor's Clothes.

Note: I KNOW MacBeth, I usually like weird avant garde theater...this was just lost on me.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

massofmen
#398Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 6:58pm

findingnamo, i dont' really need you to tell me what i am "in my rights" to do. I can say pretty much whatever I want on a message board. I can say Stephen Sondheim is the worst writer in the history of theater...and because I live in America i am "well within my rights" to do pretty much anything. here endeth the civis lesson

If you want, why don't you tell me the myriad of scenes that resemble macbeth. How about the SPOILER:::: suicide at the end where macbeth kills himself...i don't really remember macbeth killing himself..I seem to remember that macduff brings his head back in from off stage kind of insinuating that macduff chopped of his head.
. UNLESS they are so brilliant that after the dinner scene macbeth is in theory killing himself as he sees Banquo's body and all his decisions thereafter are like suicide. But that would be stupid seeing as the killing of Duncan would be the beginning of his META suicide..so thats out.

or the card table scene, or the ballroom dance scene, or the modern wailing one man dance number in the ballroom at the beginning, or the little girl in the cape running around trying to find hecate (how in the hell would anyone know that was hecate) to give her something, or the guy singing a jazz song, or the dude with the dead bird when he sticks pins into it, or lady macbeth washing her body in the weird room with the mulch in jars, or the guy in the shower..and even if these somehow DO have something to do with macbeth but it needs dense explaining because its soooo deep, thats crap. the people DON"T TALK! you don't really know who they are the first time you go because they don't have signs on their bodies telling you who they are. So to do something on a different realm from the actual story but SOMEHOW it ties in is silly because we have NO idea whats going on anyway!

i mean i could do a dance piece to Wicked and have a girl dressed in black with her legs being sticks as she dances loving a midget man who has eyes taped on the back of his head. The eyes are him looking for Galinda because he is Boq and he isn't ever really looking at NESSAROSE wherein the sticks resemble her dead legs because she is in a wheel chair but dancers cannot really dance in a wheel chair. . but who in the HELL would know that from seeing them in a room in a run down hotel with few lights on? NO one but me and my psuedo-intellectual friends who made it up..

dramamama611 welcome to the dark side. Its a great place to be. We have sushi thursdays and pot luck wednesdays and movie nights on weekends.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#399Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:02pm

@massofmen: Sleep No More is not Macbeth. It is a loose interpretation of Macbeth. That is why most reviews and articles talking about it say "...Sleep No More, inspired by Shakespeare's Macbeth..." Inspired. It's not scene for scene the entire play. Most people I talk to who've seen the show understand it, even if they don't know much about Macbeth. It's quite easy to piece it together, provided you take the initiative to see enough. The "little girl in the cape" is from the Rebecca storyline, and as namo pointed out to you, they probably arent using the actual Rebecca names for legal purposes. And for people that do know Macbeth, you can understand who the characters are from specific scenes, especially the banquet scene.

@Katurian2": A pretty big chunk of those songs aren't actually used in the show.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#400Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:13pm

He hung himself? Looked more like an execution to me!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

RWilliamsCenterStg Profile Photo
RWilliamsCenterStg
#401Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:10am

Saw this the other night. God i loved it. What an event. Make sure you guys see this!

FindingNamo
#402Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:44am

Yes, massofmen, I SAID you have every right to hate it for whatever reason. I can, um, totally see why you then had to tell me that in fact you did have every right to hate it for whatever reason. Because, somehow you disagreed with me while agreeing with me?? Anyhoo, they hanged MacBeth. It wasn't a suicide.

Videos